Only black and white when capturing

edited April 2006 in Internet & Media
I'm having trouble capturing a VHS video to my computer. I believe (although I am not sure) that the problem is caused by the fact that the video was made in the NTSC format, and we use the PAL format here in Israel. When I try to capture using my Asus V9520 graphic card (with my "National" - converting format - video player plugged into it), it shows up in black and white. I've tried various software (including Ulead), but it doesn't make a difference. I've tried searching for different settings in the "Display Properties", but found nothing that made any difference. I have no problem capturing a PAL video.
Can anyone tell me what I can do to correct this? Is there some sort of setting that has to be made to the video card? If so, where?
Thanks

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited April 2006
    If you try to capture NTSC in PAL, you will get basically what you described. You need to convert the NTSC to PAL before you capture it, unless your capture card also allows NTSC input. Otherwise you will need a separate piece of equipment to do the format conversion.

Dexter...
  • edited April 2006
    Thanks for your reply. I sort of came to the same conclusion on my own. I was unaware that the capture card was physically built for either PAL or NTSC.
    I don't want to duplicate the VHS tape (convert from NTSC to PAL) because I will lose a lot of quality. I think I will either buy a cheap NTSC capture card or find someone who has a DVD recorder who can copy the video to a DVD disk.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited April 2006
    Or just get one of these.

Dexter...