Post your data backup strategies!

lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
edited May 2006 in Hardware
Well, I feel like a real n00b today. I'm currently working on a hard drive review, and have been benchmarking several SATA drives. In the disk management MMC snap in, I accidently formatted my data drive as opposed to my 'test' drive on another sata channel.

Thankfully I realized what I did and cancelled the full format in the first five seconds or so. Now I have to try to recover all of the data. I have a bit of experience doing data recovery at work, so I have the tools I need to get it back.

To make matters worse though, I actually have a backup strategy that blew up in my face. I automatically dump my data partition onto my second PC weekly, but I had wiped that backup drive for benchmarking as well. Serves me right I suppose. Murphy is probably laughing his ass of right now.

Anyhow, just wanted to see what type of strategies everyone uses to backup their PCs. Post your strategies!

Comments

• paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited April 2006
    Well despite acquiring several 'trial' versions of backup and disk management software I still use an archiac method of backing up that makes use of XCOPY in a batch file I've set up to run weekly.

The batch file copies all of my important files (my documents, music, pictures) and mirrors them on 2 80 gig drives on my server that are dedicated for file storage. I use switches on the XCOPY command to ensure it only copies new files and overwrites files that have been altered since the last backup.

It's not pretty, but it works. :)
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited April 2006
    Backup ?
    Well I am living dangerously right now, since I'm in one major clean up of all old data from yesterday. (i.e from the early 80 th's and forward)

Must transfer all my FACTA/FAQs immediately too DVD-RAM.
    Too much of everything had over 250 3.5" floppies checked and transferred.

But my backup dream machine, would be having two large SATA-2 HDD's with hot plug connection in the PC chassis.
    With power switch on the outside, and only turn them on during backup.

Some people are using Raid-5 disks, but that it's a pain when it's not working properly.
    I.e when Mr Murphy steps in, because he knows excatly when you haven't done your duty.
    Maybe I need one PC with professional PCIe Raid-5 card, too store all data on.

I have partitioned my PC with 3 OS partitions (20 GB) and one large data partition.
    Saving only my bookmarks from time to time.
    Ready for an clean installation at any time , not right now but don't let Murphy get hold of that information please ;)

Using Acronis OS selector I can make 3 total separate OS installations.

On the horizon are bigger 3.5 HDD's and other stuff like ..

Seagate Momentus 5400.3 160GB Hard Disk Drive with Perpendicular Recording Technology
    Seagate Leaks 750GB Barracuda 7200.10 Details

Perpendicular Recording Technology is going to give us 2-3 TB 3.5" HDDs.

Daewoo Electronics Uses LabVIEW FPGA and CompactRIO to Develop the World’s First Holographic Storage Device

First Holographic Drives and Media to Ship in 2006
    InPhase exceeds 500 Gbit/in2 data density in holographic media

Got to do some backup now.

If I loose something, I regain my freedom of having nothing to backup.
    And I have to start all over again.

/ One flew over the cookos nest ...
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2006
    Seeing as I just recently got a 500gb external, I went through these same problems. I came up with something that I feel is perfect for me. I have OCB (One-Click Backup) and SyncToy processes set up to run at 3am every night.

OCB is a WinRar scheduler, basically. I have it update the .RARs of My Documents and a Torrent Archive. It checks for new/deleted files and updates the .rar files accordingly - I probably don't need the compression, but I like it all mashed into one file for those things.

I have SyncToy run about 10 minutes later (OCB usually finished in <1 min). It checks my Music, BitTorrent, Videos, and basically a dump folder I have for single songs and whatnot. It looks for any changes between the original and backup, and updates accordingly.

It's nice having it completely automated :) Also, after the initial mass-backup, it very rarely has to stress the drive. However, the drive is continuously on anyway.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I don't bungee jump or skydive, my extreme sport is relying purely on software RAID 1.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    It's not pretty, but it works.
    Mine is pretty crude too, but works great. External hard drive in USB 2/Firewire enclosure. Whenever data volume starts encroaching on the drive's limit, I start looking for specials on larger volume drives. I do complete system backups about once ever two weeks. If in the interval between backups I accumulate data that I can't afford to lose, I will add it manually to the external drive. I'm still using Symantec Ghost (2003?) for my backups. The external drive is partitioned so that I can back up more than one computer on it. USB/Firewire makes it very portable from one computer to another.

Yeah, it's a crude system, but it's nearly failsafe. When the ext. drive is not in use, it is unplugged from power and the computer.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I keep all my data on a separate physical HD than my OS. Then I do manual backups of that to a separate HD in my machine that is only for that purpose.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited April 2006
    Esso wrote:
    Backup ?

Some people are using Raid-5 disks, but that it's a pain when it's not working properly.
    I.e when Mr Murphy steps in, because he knows excatly when you haven't done your duty.
    Maybe I need one PC with professional PCIe Raid-5 card, too store all data on.

If your serious look at the Areca line of cards. there are a few people here on S-M with them includine me, theya re fantastic.

I use a Raid 5 setup, Raid 6 if i felt like getting another drive, but im pretty lazy. i have only had 1 problem with the Acrea and my data, the drivers that come on the CD work 1/2 assed with the new firmware. it kept dropping good drives from the array. but the updated drivers fixed that in a jiffy.

i back up my boot partition with Ghost, and back my data up on DVD's before i actually calculated the total number it would have taken to back up, lets just say i got about 15 burnt and gave up lol.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    backing up is for wimps..just like when i play rugby i use my computer without any protection, safegaurds, or cups... needless to say i hope that no one ever kicks my floppy
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    backing up is for wimps..just like when i play rugby i use my computer without any protection, safegaurds, or cups... needless to say i hope that no one ever kicks my floppy

LMAO!! ;D;D;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    ...needless to say i hope that no one ever kicks my floppy
    That would likely result in a Boot Dick Error... :eek:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    In case anyone was wondering what I do to backup my data, head over here. :)