DELL P1110 monitor too bright

Comments

• edited April 2006
    First of all, thanks much for this awesome fix. But i'm currently stuck at the install process:
    eagleng329 wrote:
    OK, so far I'm lovin this thread with its nuggets of genius.
    I recently bought a dell P1110 at a salvation army store and it has the brightness problem.
    I'd rather try the WinDAS fix than the resistor since to me it seems a bit safer and better in the long run.
    I've purchased the ECS cable from the previously mentioned ebay listing, so it's on the way.
    I've been trying to follow the how to (which is great, btw) at http://www.geocities.com/gregua/windas/

I'm running into a problem, tho, after downloading windas.exe (not the incomplete file) and running it, i get the three files fine. But then it won't allow me to actually install it. So as far as the HowTo goes, im stuck on step 2.

i'm running winxp pro sp2, running as admin...i kno ive read of people having problems using the program but i havent read of many people being troubled with the installation.

Any help at all would be greatly apreciated. Thanks
    These are the errors i get:

I have the exact same problem, and get the exact same errors. It just will not let me install the damn program. I follow the tutorial excactly, but cannot get it to intall on not one of my 3 pc's.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19590&d=1143318340

attachment.php?attachmentid=19591&d=1143318354

When i start the windas.exe it dumps 3 files into the 'disk1' folder: installer.lzh (WinRAR archived), installer.exe, and unlha32.dll. I then run the installer.exe. It then promps me select a folder to install. I do that then press start, and this is when i get those errors.

So what am i doing wrong?

I need this program so that i can fix my fw900.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • ghostriderghostrider east Europe
    edited April 2006
    Hi, you need to extract all downloaded files to same directory exept one
    (pattern generator) that install itself elsewhere, .dll`s should placed into
    /system32 directory (not in /system as described in tutorial),
    I`ve fixed my G500 overbrightness with WINDAS but I`ve, also, got several
    hardware/software problems in process, you just have to be persistent on it!
    Thank you very much to you all !!! I`m so happy now :Rocker: :thumbsup:
  • sintzsintz Dallas New
    edited April 2006
    Well, my cable came in yesterday so today I get to feel the power of WinDaz in action. :D

Happy Easter!
  • edited April 2006
    sintz wrote:
    Well, my cable came in yesterday so today I get to feel the power of WinDaz in action. :D

Happy Easter!

good news. :)

Happy easter.

easter.jpg
  • sintzsintz Dallas New
    edited April 2006
    OK, I'm lost now. Windas crashes every time I try to save. I followed the instructions but for some reason Windas freaks and crashes when I get to that "be sure and save your current config" part and I click save.

Any ideas?
  • sintzsintz Dallas New
    edited April 2006
    OK, figured out I had to run the activex thing everytime I start windaz. Now I just jeed to figure out how to make it connect.
  • sintzsintz Dallas New
    edited April 2006
    Mission accomplished. Went from 162 down to 135 and my after running calibration my brightness is on 24. I think I'm going down another 10 as I would like the brightness as around 50 after balancing.

I want to thank everyone too as this is one cool product@!@:usflag:
  • edited April 2006
    I came across this thread while troubleshooting a brightness problem, vertical retrace lines, washed-out video, etc on my P991 Dell/Sony monitor.

Checked G2 voltage, was 750V; tech data says 560V. Replaced the 2.2M "G2 resistor" (R048 on the A board) with a 15M resistor. Problem fixed!

Somehow, this fix just doesn't look quite right. I would prefer to reprogram the EPRM and do it the right way. I downloaded the Sony DAS program and the project is now on hold for lack of an interface/conversion cable. The P991 has a small 4-pin male connector for the programming connection.

Hobby Engineering has been mentioned as a source for a cable. I gave them a call and they didn't know what I was talking about.

Does anybody know of a source for this cable? Or I could make one myself if I had a schematic.

Any help would be appreciated.

zonie
  • edited April 2006
    I came across this thread while troubleshooting a brightness problem, vertical retrace lines, washed-out video, etc on my P991 Dell/Sony monitor.

Checked G2 voltage, was 750V; tech data says 560V. Replaced the 2.2M "G2 resistor" (R048 on the A board) with a 15M resistor. Problem fixed!

Somehow, this fix just doesn't look quite right. I would prefer to reprogram the EPRM and do it the right way. I downloaded the Sony DAS program and the project is now on hold for lack of an interface/conversion cable. The P991 has a small 4-pin male connector for the programming connection.

Hobby Engineering has been mentioned as a source for a cable. I gave them a call and they didn't know what I was talking about.

Does anybody know of a source for this cable? Or I could make one myself if I had a schematic.

zonie

http://www.geocities.com/gregua/windas/cable.html
  • sintzsintz Dallas New
    edited April 2006

zonie

Here is the one I bought. Worked fantastic!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RS232-to-3-3-5v-TTL-Converter-Cable-Max3232-inside_W0QQitemZ7605011343QQcategoryZ50915QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
  • edited April 2006
    Can someone help me locate the service port on the IBM P260? I would like to use WinDAS to resolve my brightness issue. Thanks for any advice.

Rick
  • joe3563joe3563 Burn Orange Nation
    edited April 2006
    rick74 wrote:
    Can someone help me locate the service port on the IBM P260? I would like to use WinDAS to resolve my brightness issue. Thanks for any advice.

Rick

That looks like the G500... you will probably need to take off the back cover like the Sony version.
  • edited April 2006
    sintz wrote:

Looks like a good deal, what is the correct pin out? And does it connect directly to pins on the monitor's chassis, or do I have to rig something? I at least have the windas software running, with all the patches, etc. to run in XP. I also wonder, what about the security key to the parallel port? Or is that unnecessary? Thanks, my Sony CPDG400 monitor is beginning to show retrace lines...:shakehead
  • edited April 2006
    joe3563 wrote:
    That looks like the G500... you will probably need to take off the back cover like the Sony version.

Joe, can you clarify? Where should I look once the cover is off. Thanks.

Rick
    edited April 2006
    rick74 wrote:
    Joe, can you clarify? Where should I look once the cover is off. Thanks.

Rick

Once the cover is off, if you look from the back of the monitor, look for 4 pins arranged vertically on the lower right side.
  • edited April 2006
    With Windas and a home-made cable my P991 monitor looks like new again. I couldn't have done it without the help of all the great people on this forum. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
  • edited April 2006
    Hi There i got Windas working fine a few times but moved the program folder to another computer and now when i run it it says there are no mdl files so i cant load up my monitor model settings. I ran the astro sg installer but still no success, i know someone else had this problem eirlier in the thread but i cant find it!

Please someone help!

Thanks.

Ross:p
    edited April 2006
    Ross wrote:
    Hi There i got Windas working fine a few times but moved the program folder to another computer and now when i run it it says there are no mdl files so i cant load up my monitor model settings. I ran the astro sg installer but still no success, i know someone else had this problem eirlier in the thread but i cant find it!

Please someone help!

Thanks.

Ross:p

You need to install that activeX object on the new system.
  • edited April 2006
    ok i will try that now ! thanks mate that was the fastest response ever on this thread
  • edited April 2006
    Hi again Joe, Thanks again for your help>

Ross
  • edited April 2006
    Ok, got it working again, Stupid me! when you said active x i remembered about five minutes later what i did the first time. Edit the the extracted activex.bat file
    to read

copy msflxgrd.ocx %systemroot%\system32
    regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\msflxgrd.ocx

save and then run.(for the readers who had the same problem)

Thanks again Joe3563!:cheers:
  • canamcanam New Jersey
    edited April 2006
    Hello,
    I have a Dell p1110 21" monitor, made in 2000. I am experiencing the same conditions that have been written about in this post too. I have ordered the cable for linking the monitor to my computer and will download windas. My question is: i have taken a small 1" by 1/2" cover plate off the back area of the monitor and exposed a 4 pin male connector. Is this the pin connection that i need to use and if so, can someone tell me what the pins ID's are(tx,rx,+5,gnd) from top to bottom. Thanks in advance;)

:canflag:
  • sintzsintz Dallas New
    edited April 2006
    canam wrote:
    Hello,
    I have a Dell p1110 21" monitor, made in 2000. I am experiencing the same conditions that have been written about in this post too. I have ordered the cable for linking the monitor to my computer and will download windas. My question is: i have taken a small 1" by 1/2" cover plate off the back area of the monitor and exposed a 4 pin male connector. Is this the pin connection that i need to use and if so, can someone tell me what the pins ID's are(tx,rx,+5,gnd) from top to bottom. Thanks in advance;)

:canflag:

Yes, that is the correct port.

Top to bottom as you face the back of the monitor.

GND
    VCC (+5)
    TXD
    RXD .
  • canamcanam New Jersey
    edited April 2006
    Sintz, thanks for the info. Just recieved my cable in mail will post how i make out thanks again,
    canam
  • canamcanam New Jersey
    edited April 2006
    I just finished with using windas and reprogramming my dell p1110. This forum was a god send. was about to throw out this great monitor, now i am looking at a new screen with great color and the proper brightness. Thanks to all that have helped with this thread.
    I have one last question. Is thier anymore setting that i should look at in windas that can be changed that would be beneficial. Another how to guide would be great , if anyone knows of one.I do alot of gaming with this monitor, especially world of warcraft.

Thanks so much,
    Jay
    :usflag:
  • edited April 2006
    I've got a P1110, and guess what? It's too bright. I followed the instructions to install WinDAS, and built a mighty fine cable using a max232 on a breadboard... schematic below:

Circuit.gif

I'm pretty certain that the cable is right, and the software seems to be installed correctly... but my problem is that every time I try to do anything with WinDAS, it crashes. I get a box that pops up and says "WinDAS MFC application has encountered a problem and needs to close. The text file of the error is here:

http://www.slowphoton.com/error.txt

Any suggestions? I've tried the WinDAS program on two different XPSP2 machines, and I'm getting ready to give it a shot on a 98 box. I also have the DOS version, but not the key for it? Any hints?

Thanks
    edited April 2006
    I believe that if you follow the instructions on this link which has been posted a dozen times already in this thread, everything will work fine.

http://www.geocities.com/gregua/windas/
  • edited April 2006
    joe3563 wrote:
    I believe that if you follow the instructions on this link which has been posted a dozen times already in this thread, everything will work fine.

http://www.geocities.com/gregua/windas/

Gosh, how could I have been so foolish... oh, wait, I did follow the instructions... there seems to be another problem. Thanks for the "help" joe.
  • edited April 2006
    deiphage wrote:
    Gosh, how could I have been so foolish... oh, wait, I did follow the instructions... there seems to be another problem. Thanks for the "help" joe.
    Hi deiphage, I have sp1 and it works ok on that. Did you try your 98 machine yet? On your sp2 machine you could run the file under 98 settings by right clicking on the Windas.exe file going to the compatability tab and selecting which ever mode you want. Also try to shutdown all other programs as one might conflict.

Hope that helps, if not give me more info(computer spec/installed programs) and i will see what i can do.

Ross
  • edited April 2006
    canam wrote:
    I just finished with using windas and reprogramming my dell p1110. This forum was a god send. was about to throw out this great monitor, now i am looking at a new screen with great color and the proper brightness. Thanks to all that have helped with this thread.
    I have one last question. Is thier anymore setting that i should look at in windas that can be changed that would be beneficial. Another how to guide would be great , if anyone knows of one.I do alot of gaming with this monitor, especially world of warcraft.

Thanks so much,
    Jay
    :usflag:
    Hi there Jay,

If you go to the adjustment menu and click on procedure you can change the white balence/convergence etc. If you need to sort the Focus out you need to open your case (stay away from the HT cable attached to the top of the CRT)
    remove the top mesh and at the right hand side(if the face of the monitor is facing away from you) you should see a black object with 2 adjustment screws on the top(it should say focus in small letters between the two controls)You use these to crispen up the images.

I recommend you use the nokia monitor test to benchmark your settings and remmember to save settings regularly.

Here is the link to download:

http://www.construnet.hu/nokia/Monitors/TEST/monitor_test.html

There is also a NEC test knocking around on the net which is just as good.

Hope that helped and be careful not to touch anything other than the 2 controls,preferably use a electritions screwdriver with a insulated grip.

Good luck!

Ross