Getting Vista?

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited March 2006
    grayfox, i never said its BS, and I never denied that it even exists. I know this can happen, and it probably will to a certain extent. I just think those websites are taking the worst case scenarios of it.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    grayfox, i never said its BS. I was just saying that these sites are probably just taking the worst case scenarios of it, but they do have the capability to do all of this. We'l just have to wait until its released.
    Its already implimented but we won't see it full scale till everyones using vista, then microsoft "throws the switch" most users won't notice it because they were shaped already by the minnor implementations of it. Microsoft has made it very clear that they are doing this hell they even have a section on there site about how vista will feature this "for the benifit of the user" to protect them from evil such as unsigned third party programs (Anyone who hasn't payed microsoft money to get it signed)

But yes we will see how bad the first stage is when its released.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    Bull**** eh ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_computing
    http://www.lafkon.net/tc/ (This is a video about it)
    http://www.againsttcpa.com/
    http://www.newsforge.com/business/02/10/21/1449250.shtml?tid=19
    http://www.eff.org/Infrastructure/trusted_computing/
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

Just a few links I pulled off google.

edit: It amases me at how many of you could be so blind about whats right infront of you.

edit: At least thrax is more or less on my site.

Tex and I won't agree on everything, but I'm with Tex on this one. This is the kind of BS that generates a lot of heat, but not a lot of light. I WILL say that if people spent as much energy making a competitive OS that would keep Microsoft honest in the future ....

Vista will ship as a better OS for a few reasons. I may see it making lots of stuff obselete pretty fast (and I will admit I could be wrong), but I DON'T view that as a worse thing.

Crazy (and even hopeful) guess again- Europe will come out with that competition in a Linux derivative. I'm with training Europeans who only have Windows in their office because the company pays for it. The grass-roots Linux base is huge- and I hope it goes to market.
  • macdude425macdude425 Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
    edited March 2006
    Oh, come now, is it BS? This is Microsoft, the great deception itself that we are talking about. With every release we have seen them try to control the user more and more; this only brings it to a new low in the invasion of privacy. As Grayfox said, they have TOLD us that they are going to do it, and we aren't worried?

I'll stick with my Mac (and Linux), thank you.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Macdude, you know I'm a mac user too, but sorry - OS X is even worse than XP. You simply CANNOT skip the "personal info" when you first install the OS. I've been using XP and Mac OS for years, and I can install XP without typing in a single bit of personal info. With Mac OS, I have to enter a bunch of fake info every time I install it. Apple LOVES to have your personal info, even more than microsoft.
  • edited March 2006
    The only reason I bought XP the day it was first released was because it came with so much free crap: A 4-port 10/100 router switch, an MP3 Player (RIO One), and a couple free music CDs- all at Best Buy. I never actually installed XP on anything until about 6 months later once I ran out of good copies of Win2K.

If similar deals are made for Vista, I'll prolly do the same thing, only install and dual-boot right away to learn as much as I can about it.
  • RockrzRockrz I'm right here!
    edited March 2006
    All these companies are trying to do (currently) is
    #1 - Know who is using their intellectual property in an attempt to help prevent piracy (you do know that piracy is stealing, right?)
    #2 - They want to know your computing habits so they can sell that information to other vendors who need it for marketing purposes.

It's not like these companies have teamed up with the United Nations to implement the one world government...although it will eventually become that.

Right now, it's more of a thing they do to protect and enhance profits.
    I know I'm not worried about it as I provide as little correct information as possible and I use my firewall to control what programs connect to the net and which ones don't.

On the other hand...if you really believe "they" are out to get you, then you are correct...they are!

Someday, if I'm still here, if there is the fall of the US and there is a one world government...they can kiss my *ss because I ain't doing what they tell me. They can go screw themselves!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Rockrz wrote:
    #1 - Know who is using their intellectual property in an attempt to help prevent piracy (you do know that piracy is stealing, right?)
    #2 - They want to know your computing habits so they can sell that information to other vendors who need it for marketing purposes.

It's not like these companies have teamed up with the United Nations to implement the one world government...although it will eventually become that.

I know I'm not worried about it as I provide as little correct information as possible and I use my firewall to control what programs connect to the net and which ones don't.

On the other hand...if you really believe "they" are out to get you, then you are correct...they are!

Someday, if I'm still here, if there is the fall of the US and there is a one world government...they can kiss my *ss because I ain't doing what they tell me. They can go screw themselves!

It's not that, becuase you are right... they arn't out to get you. But this information can be used in identity theft, it's already abundant. And information is stolen ALL the time by these people.

Besides, I get enough damned ads, I don't need more. Still I am not that worried about this with Vista.

It's not thatthey are out to get you, it's just that it's THEM who are out to get you :tongue2:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    20060303.jpg

Sorry, but I had to.
    edited March 2006
    I suppose it is possible for the occasional rouge employee to steal your personal info...but that doesn't happen very often.

All Microsoft knows about me is that I'm in the United States.
    My ISP claims they don't share my info with anyone unless it's under a court order. If they are lying, and I find out about it, I'll have my lawyers file a lawsuit against them to land a nice settlement for a large amount of cash.

They'll be begging to settle with me by the time I make the rounds on all the daytime TV talkshows, and talkradio. I'll have them looking like complete idiots to the public which will hurt their business.

I know some folks don't like lawyers, but it is an effective way to brings things like this to the attention of the public. These big companies will gladly pay you alot of money to be quite about some of their business practices that are suspect.

I'll settle out of court for $1.5 million, plus attorney and court costs:cool2:
    (I'm pretty cheap!)
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited March 2006
    I'm waiting for as long as possible. Maybe even try to skip this version of windows and wait for the next. But alas. if they don't put DX10 on XP, I'll be forced to. Which sucks of course.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I'm waiting for as long as possible. Maybe even try to skip this version of windows and wait for the next. But alas. if they don't put DX10 on XP, I'll be forced to. Which sucks of course.
    I'd be willing to guess that dx10 load for xp will come around the vista release.
    edited March 2006
    Rockrz wrote:

There eliminating the little guy this won't stop pirates anymore then the activation of windows did. Say you write some code compile it and try to run it since it wont be singed by microsoft you can't run it... This will also cause free programs to become extinct because they have to get everything signed by microsoft (That costs lots of money).

All that tcpa is doing is ensuring that corperations are the only people who can write code for the windows platform.
    edited March 2006
    csimon wrote:
    I'd be willing to guess that dx10 load for xp will come around the vista release.
    If they were smart, they would not offer any more upgrades to work on XP....so everyone would have to buy the new Vista O/S to get more functionality.

Actually, if they did that it would end up saving them alot of money because they wouldn't have to develop DX10 for XP and they could concentrate on making Vista bug free so folks have as few problems as possible :type:
    edited March 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    Say you write some code compile it and try to run it since it wont be singed by microsoft you can't run it...
    There are plenty of programs out there that run on Windows that aren't "approved" by Microsoft.

Being "Microsoft Certified" is not required for a software program to run on Windows. If you had to pay MS just to run your program, it would open up MS top all kinds of legal actions...thousands of them from all over the world.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    ...This will also cause free programs to become extinct because they have to get everything signed by microsoft (That costs lots of money)...
    It's my understanding that this will only apply to kernel-mode drivers. I also expect to see a workaround for this to be available well before the official release of Vista. :cool:
    edited March 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    It's my understanding that this will only apply to kernel-mode drivers. I also expect to see a workaround for this to be available well before the official release of Vista. :cool:
    From what ive read they plan to impliment it is steps.

And to Rockrz read profdlp's post. You clearly misunderstood mine.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    From what ive read they plan to impliment it is steps.

And to Rockrz read profdlp's post. You clearly misunderstood mine.
    You were the one who mentioned "programs" ;)
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I disagree that content creators (authors, musicians, and their companies) should be able to know who is viewing/listening to their content. If I go buy a book, I expect that the author and publisher don't know whether or not I read it and how many times. I fail to see why the record labels and Hollywood should know either. The piracy excuse is a poor one. I don't see people suing Xerox for copyright infringement when their machines are used to copy pages from books. Questions of scale do not make the acts any different.

I seem to remember reading a bit from Microsoft concerning the application lockouts y'all are discussing. As I recall, the idea was that in order for the computer to operate in "trusted" mode no "untrusted" applications could be running concurrently (any free software). As time progressed, more and more software would require trusted mode to operate and having to close down every application to use your untrusted software would encourage users to only use trusted software. Encryption technologies and the DMCA are then used to prevent users from switching to free software platforms by restricting file migration. At that point, the corporations turn the screw on the customer and force the money out.
    trmiddle26.jpg
    Except this time, it's the customer.
    Source: http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/frames.html

-drasnor :fold:
  • rykoryko new york
    edited March 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    The only reason I bought XP the day it was first released was because it came with so much free crap: A 4-port 10/100 router switch, an MP3 Player (RIO One), and a couple free music CDs- all at Best Buy. I never actually installed XP on anything until about 6 months later once I ran out of good copies of Win2K.

If similar deals are made for Vista, I'll prolly do the same thing, only install and dual-boot right away to learn as much as I can about it.

oh yeah...that is exactly what i did too! except i got a samsung mp3 player...

i'll be looking for similar deals to jump on the vista bandwagon.

as for the TC crap and all of the stupid DRM, i don't like it one bit but i will deal with it b/c i have to. hopefully there will be workarounds and such. i mean you either jump on and try to learn the new OS and move foward, or you stay behind and complain and get stuck in the past. linux is a great alternative and everything, but untill everybody that i deal with for my job switches (which will be never) i am stuck in MS land.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    There is MAC and then PC. What we need is a new medium, a new computer. One similar to the Open Source world... one which is free of all things we are currently complaining about.

So that people can find somethihng to poke at and complain about.
  • chevyfan1a4chevyfan1a4 Maine
    edited March 2006
    WinXP Pro is perfect for what I use my pc for, I don't do to much multimedia tasks except for the occasional picture or movie editing. I may pick up Vista in a couple of years after it gets tried and proven. But for right now, I don't see any reason to upgrade.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited April 2006
    In 2007 they predict that Windows Vista will be here.
    I'll guess we need an discussion thread about the new kid before it's gonna be here.
    Will it be a total success, failure or somewhere in between ?

The dice is cast, like going over the Rubicon river .. there is no returning back or is it ?
    Will Linux win were Windows loses ?

I will gradually update this first posting in this thread with news and other stuff.
    Please give us what you knows.

Note.
    Someone leaked that 60 % of the Vista code has to be rewritten, if that is true will it be ready in 2007 ?
    60% Of Windows Vista Code To Be Rewritten
    More than half of Microsoft Vista needs re-writing
    Microsoft employees in Vista revolt
    Microsoft: No Vista Code Changes

Date: April-22-2006
    Windows Vista February 2006 CTP (Build 5308/5342) Review, Part 5: Where Vista Fails

About the new security:
    In 2005 I went searching the Internet for information regarding the new technology that will fix the problem with illegal copying of films and music.
    I have found very little.
    They have been working almost three years now and most of it kept in the dark.

LaGrande Technology (Intel).
    The Tech Report Intel's grande plans for copy protection
    LaGrande Technology Architectural Overview (pdf file)
    Will Apple use LaGrande to lock down OS X?
    Intel's "LaGrande" Technology

Presidio Security technology (AMD).
    Officials for Advanced Micro Devices said Wednesday the company was developing “Presidio”, a feature to enhance security of personal computers.

The claim follows Intel’s plans to offer more secure PCs with its LaGrande technology and industry-wide initiative to implement non-execute bit into conventional microprocessors.

“Presidio is an AMD program focused on advancing PC and server security technology,” AMD’s spokesman Phil Hughes told X-bit labs.

The representative remained tight-lipped over the details concerning the technology and did not reveal any direction of Presidio.
    He declined to comment whether there are any links between Presidio, Intel’s LaGrande technology and Microsoft’s Longhorn operating system.

AMD Preps "Presidio", a Chip Security Technology. AMD Follows Intel with Complex Security Features

Links:

Vista and soundcards:
    News:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Curious. I noticed OpenAL support on some things on my Gentoo (Linux) install. I didn't realise it was being taken up in Windows too. I assume it's basically the OpenGL or the audio world, right?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    People are going to be furious with HDCP, and I, for one, am one of those people. Until I have a way to disable it, I will not be purchasing WinV.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    ditto
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Unless a new Elderscrolls game, or Sid Meier's Civilization game gets released for Vista only... then they will have forced my hand...
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    oh come on, you and everyone else running XP will get Vista because it's new and fresh and cool and you gotta have it blah blah blah.... hdcp does blow, but i'm afraid there isn't much we can do about it. it'll probably get cracked like everything else anyway.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2006
    No, I won't be getting it. At least not till I have to, anyway. It's really boring, actually. For some reason I seem to be one of the few people who don't like the new flashy trend happening. I'm still using Messenger 6.2 because all the new crap makes me want to throw up. Vista is the same way, and with the XP theme, it's, well, basically the same as XP. I honestly can't see myself saying, "Oh my God, I need to have that operating system! It will change my life!" There's nothing revolutionary about it.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Heh, my XP looks like 2000, and my 2000 looked like 98 (or rather ME). Funny when people ask me why I'm still running 98 :P