Computer freezing

ClutchClutch North Carolina New
edited May 2006 in Hardware
Ok so this is really starting to get to me. I have a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Everything is fine until I start to play World of Warcraft. The game freezes and I have to restart, and then sometimes when the computer starts back up all my icons are huge, like my resolution is 800x600, but it is the same. If I try to adjust my resolution it gets all ****ed up.

I uninstalled wow and installed it again about 3 weeks ago when it started and everything seemed to be fine. And I have uninstalled my card and installed it again, all the drivers are updated. Sometimes my game will freeze and go to a screen with lines everywhere and then go back to normal, and sometimes it doesn't and I have to restart.

But I leave my machine on all day and it is fine, until I go to play wow. Could it be my video card dying?

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    what temps are you seeing in idel and while playing the game? also do you have any other graphic intensive game to see if the issue occurs with them as well?
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited April 2006
    cpu temp is 60c case is 37c. Temps pretty much stay the same when playing. I'm downloading 3D Mark to stress test my card.
    edited April 2006
    Clutch wrote:
    cpu temp is 60c case is 37c. Temps pretty much stay the same when playing. I'm downloading 3D Mark to stress test my card.

I mean the temp of the GPU...
    edited April 2006
    Oh, I have no idea, lol.
    edited April 2006
    Okay so I read some on the WoW tech support forums and I think I have fixed my problem. IT seems to be a driver type issue and partly a wow issue.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    Usually when your graphics driver faiils, then you get that very low res screen with huge icons. Kinda looks like the screen after you finish a new install of windows.
  • edited April 2006
    download ati tool, don't overclock your card just read what the grah says the temp is for your gpu when your idle and playing.
    edited April 2006
    I blew my computer out with some air last night. There was a lot of dust built up in the video card fan and all. So I think it was over heating. It was extremely hot after I turned the computer off. I didn't get the time last night to really test anything, but I believe that was the problem.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    Hay Clutch, if you live near Winston-Salem let me know. I can always take a look at it when I'm in the office on a not so busy day if your within driving distance.
  • VagrantxVagrantx San Francisco, CA
    edited April 2006
    Does your fan make funny noises because my 9800 pro did, It crashes after playing counter strike for a long time. Also, is your gpu heatsink hot while your system is idling? It might be your gpu fan dying on you.
    edited April 2006
    No the fan doesn't make any noises or anything. I might get to play this weekend to test to see if it was the dust and all making it freeze.
    edited April 2006
    Let us know how she runs :)
    edited May 2006
    After cleaning out all the dust she runs perfect. No shutting down, no freezing up or anything. I couldn't belive all the dust that had built up in it. I had just dusted it out like 3 months ago.
    edited May 2006
    Dust is a computers #2 evil ... water being #1 :)