valve's steam is TERRIBLE

TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
edited September 2003 in Gaming
i finally downloaded steam, due to the final release of cs 1.6. all i can say is this thing is a huge pos. it won't let me log in with my normal account, tried making a new one, which it won't let me log out of, and on which it also wont let me verify new games. you try to do ANYTHING and the piece of junk crashes. if this **** isn't fixed by halflife2 i'm just going to hold off on the multiplayer for awhile. why on EARTH would you insist on incorporating this piece of junk software when won and gamespy already WORKED. CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP.

consequently, anyone know how to fix this and get it working stably?

Comments

• SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited September 2003
    I know it is a piece of ****, that is why I never played the 1.6 beta.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Now logging into Steam<font color=white>ing pile of ****</font>
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited September 2003
    down with cs
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2003
    wait wait wait. as an update, once you get it working, it is actually quite nice. i like the way its integrated into CS. as such, i'll like it once it works without me having to make several accounts
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    yeah everyone's been bitching about Steam, I've been using it, works fine, dont see the big deal ::shrug::
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited September 2003
    My complaint is I get 500b/s from their servers.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Templar said
    My complaint is I get 500b/s from their servers.

If you're getting Steam to play CS just use FilePlanet (or equivalent) to DL the Steam client with CS 1.6 cache, it's already installed, so you dont have to wait for the Steam servers (which are already getting 0wned because so many people are trying to get it) to DL a 400mb game.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2003
    uh huh. so now what it does is, on both accounts, tells me that all games are "currently unavailable" even when steam servers are reported as up. good

OR it'll say "preparing to play counter-strike" FOREVER
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I've been using it for probably 3 months now (I was also in the initial pre-1.5 steam beta) and I don't have any problems with it any more, at least nothing that I can complain about. Steam has come a LONG way.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I had the pre-release beta stuff when it came out. It was ok, but it bugged me a little bit. I've seen worse.