I'll try anything. :)
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2006

Ditto.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    Goody. I'll make room in my tent for you. ;)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    A bunch of guys played Rome last year... Where's sewrtrooper? :eek2:
    I PM'd him this morning and he indicated he's checking with his wife....
    so is that a no on the BFME1 keys?
    Never played Battlefield for Middle Earth.... Be interested in trying it out...
    profdlp wrote:
    Goody. I'll make room in my tent for you. ;)
    ;D;D;D
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    If anyone needs BF2 of wants BFME2 I can pick the games up for $15.00 each brand new from EA... If I get 5 or more people needing the games I can take a drive down to EALA and get a couple :) of whatever is needed :)
    edited April 2006
    if you havent played bfme2 and love RTS check out BFME2 DEMO:

The LOTR BFME2 Demo has hit almost every gaming site online! the demo will host a few cool features that the BETA did not have such as AI and more maps.

make sure to check it out at the following sites.

http://www.ign.com
    http://www.gamespot.com
    http://www.nzone.com - Fast DL speeds
    http://www.fileplanet.com
    http://www.yahoogames.com

the Demo is 1.37G so make sure you have room!
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    If anyone needs BF2 of wants BFME2 I can pick the games up for $15.00 each brand new from EA... If I get 5 or more people needing the games I can take a drive down to EALA and get a couple :) of whatever is needed :)

Oh! One copy of BF2, please! =)
    edited April 2006
    If your serious I can pick a few copies up.. I just need the money paypaled or MO to me.. and I will have your copy for you at the LAN :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Wow! That's a great price on BF2! :eek2: I might get in on two copies for my kids, Sledge.. I'll let you know soon (have to find out if they really want it)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    My main Genre is turn-based strategy, and the Civilization franchise is the best out there.
    edited April 2006
    You might like War of the Ring. In BFME2 there is a Turn based part of the "WOTR" it is very much a risk style game play with the many different styles of play. It allows you to do auto resolve and RTS and BFME2 just looks so much better than the other games :) I mean come on it is LOTR's :)
    edited April 2006
    I played the demo. I quit because my archers couldn't shoot over the walls. That's pretty stupid. Walls are strategically useless if you can't shoot over or down from them, and I play with lots of walls.
    edited April 2006
    LOL OMG! you must not know How to use archers than :) they have what called a bombard attack that will shoot over walls.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    LOL OMG! you must not know How to use archers...
    Maybe his archers are just too wimpy to get a good draw on the bow. :crazy:
    edited April 2006
    If I click on my archers, and tell them to attack the enemy on the other side of the wall, and they don't do it, that's a flaw in the game, not a special attack...
    edited April 2006
    Okay lets think about that for one sec. take it in a real life perspective... if there is a 40 ft wall in front of you and you want to shoot the people you and your guys can't see directly on the other side... your only option would be to bombard over the wall and hope the people are on the other side where you are shooting. It is no Flaw... Bombard isn't 100% accurate it is add for the purpose of having walls.

You might not like it as it is a key to micromanagement... Some people don't like Micro..
    CBDroege wrote:
    Walls are strategically useless if you can't shoot over or down from them, and I play with lots of walls.

If you played me you wounld't Get walls up.... It would be to late

Also EA has a 1.03 patch dfor the game which buffs walls and adds a ton of fixes... the Demo can't be patched :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    If you played me you wounld't Get walls up.... It would be to late

You're a rusher? I hate playing strategy games against people who rush. It's not a strategy game anymore when you're just trying to see who can destroy the other's base the fastest.

Playing AOE3 online has become a farce now, everyone rushes, and nobody gets past the Fortress age. I'm sure that a lot of 'strategy games' have online play communities that are like that. I much prefer playing against friends during a LAN, so that I can punch anyone who rushes or resorts to another cheap play tactic. It's the strategy game equivalent of a 'rocket bitch'.
    edited April 2006
    Yeah yeah.... so do I buy AOE 3 or not? :wtf:
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited April 2006
    Yeah yeah.... so do I buy AOE 3 or not? :wtf:

i bought AOE3 and i really like it (i played AOE2 immensly). Graphics are great, its awesome to totally raze a town.

btw i really suck at rts, and im sure ill get my a$$ handed to me at the lan, but i still enjoy it.
    edited April 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    You're a rusher? I hate playing strategy games against people who rush. It's not a strategy game anymore when you're just trying to see who can destroy the other's base the fastest.

Playing AOE3 online has become a farce now, everyone rushes, and nobody gets past the Fortress age. I'm sure that a lot of 'strategy games' have online play communities that are like that. I much prefer playing against friends during a LAN, so that I can punch anyone who rushes or resorts to another cheap play tactic. It's the strategy game equivalent of a 'rocket bitch'.

I am not a hard core rusher, but over my last 15 years or RTS and online play I have had to learn how to do both to excel in the RTS world. The fact is if I let my opponent build up without picking on him and getting my units ranked it is pointless. BFME2 is based on ranking up units and heroes in battle to earn Power points along with hero abilities. The game is called Battle for Middle Earth for a reason, they have taken away the major micro on resources so you can focus on huge scale battles. in your base and away form your base.
    edited April 2006
    Buy BFME2 Prime... If anyone going likes LOTR you will love the game
    edited April 2006
    I liked the books, saw about 10 minutes of the first movie, got bored, and never saw another LOTR movie again.

So, with that in mind, combined with the fact that the only remotely close thing to strategy game that I have ever liked was Black and White, should I drop the money to buy this?

I guess it boils down to what more people will be playing. Civ IV, BFME, or AoE..

Poll time.
    edited April 2006
    wow, Prime the first movie was the slow start but the 2nd and 3rd were the best of the bunch... You should give them another go around :)
  • SewerTrooprSewerTroopr Ann Arbor, Michigan
    edited May 2006
    Rome Total War/ Barbarian Invasion are ideal for a LAN party since multiplayer is a battle between two or more armies. You can choose the terrain/battle conditions and each player gets a set amount of denari to purchase an army. Each faction (Roman, egyptian, etc.) has specialized soldiers with advantages unique to their faction. So, each player buys an army and then you fight the battle. There is no such thing as "rush tactics", building your base, scrounging for wood/gold/resources, or supernatural heroes. You simply fight a good hard battle and it's over in 10-20 minutes.

I'll be happy to play RTW/BI with anyone at the LAN. I can give a Denari handicap to make it fair since I've had a lot of practice over the last year.

I completed both the good and evil campaigns of BFME about 6 months ago. I felt that the game was average. It was better than some early C&C but not as good as Warcraft III or Starcraft.

Sledge, I am willing to purchase BFME2. Are you still bringing copies? If so, how much for the best version of the game (i.e. prime, gold, platinum, director's cut, whatever it's called)?

I've been playing Hearts of Iron II (HoI2) for the last couple of months. I'd be interested in trying multiplayer if anyone else has the game. There is a huge learning curve with HoI2 so don't go and purchase the game just for a LAN since you need a lot of time to get into HoI2.

I have Settlers and Puerto Rico so I'll probably play some board games. I also have the PC version of Puerto Rico. My wife and I have played LAN Puerto Rico games against 3 computer opponents and had a lot of fun.

I have a lot of different FPS and RTS games. I suck at FPS games and Halo is the only FPS campaign that I've completed. I have BF2 and I'm willing to play it at the LAN- just make a decision on which version we need.

I like RTS games and I think that I have all of the major ones except for AoE. I actually haven't had time to make it through the CivIV tutorial yet. So many games, so little time...
    edited May 2006
    I've been playing Hearts of Iron II (HoI2) for the last couple of months. I'd be interested in trying multiplayer if anyone else has the game. There is a huge learning curve with HoI2 so don't go and purchase the game just for a LAN since you need a lot of time to get into HoI2.

CrazyJoe has played several games in the series. When HoI2 came out, CB called it "Hearts of Beating a Dead Horse" because all the games in the HoI and Europa Universalis are on basically the same engine, and Joe played them all, even though the only major difference between them is the historical scenario. At any rate, Joe has played the game a lot, so he'd probably be willing to join you.
    I have Settlers and Puerto Rico so I'll probably play some board games. I also have the PC version of Puerto Rico. My wife and I have played LAN Puerto Rico games against 3 computer opponents and had a lot of fun.

We've been playing a networked version of Settlers of Catan (playable with or without Seafarers rules included) at some LAN parties recently. It's very well-done, and it is a completely free client. Get it here if you're interested. Can you point me toward the LAN Puerto Rico?
    edited May 2006
    Okay, officially official is Battlefield 2 - standard distro (no expansion packs unless everybody who's playing has them - most likely Euro Forces since it's only $10), whatever the latest patch is by that time. (currently 1.22).

Officially officlal is also Unreal Tournament 2004, just because almost everybody has it, and if they don't, it can be purchased for under $15 almost anywhere, retail or online (at gogamer.com).

We're looking for a RTS to make the official RTS of the lan. so far the poll is showing that Age Of Empires III is probably going to be the official RTS. Sledge is offering copies of Battle for Middle Earth II for $15 (legit, boxed copies), so that might make a big showing as well.
    edited May 2006
    I completed both the good and evil campaigns of BFME about 6 months ago. I felt that the game was average. It was better than some early C&C but not as good as Warcraft III or Starcraft.

Sledge, I am willing to purchase BFME2. Are you still bringing copies? If so, how much for the best version of the game (i.e. prime, gold, platinum, director's cut, whatever it's called)?

If you played BFME and Not BFME2 I have to say the game has had a major overhaul. If you DL the demo you can see for yourself, how much better the game is.. Warcraft III did have an awesome campaign but fell short of multiplayer game play. Starcraft will always be a legendary game. But In all honesty BFME2 pawns Starcraft... maybe not in the campaign but BFME2 multiplayer is just awesome.

As for what version of the Game I can get, the regular version is what I can get for $15.00 I will have to look into the Collectors Edition price. "I'll let you know"

To note I see you love RTW, I think BFME'2 War of the Ring might perk your interest for turn based gaming. With the 3rd patch for the game already out, they seem to have the majority of the game headed to a good balance.
  • SewerTrooprSewerTroopr Ann Arbor, Michigan
    edited May 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Can you point me toward the LAN Puerto Rico?

www.eaglegames.net
    edited May 2006
    Thank you, SewerTroopr.
    edited May 2006