Icrontic Bytes Archive

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Primsuspect on what the "OC" stands for in network terms :respect:

One time me and -tk were talking about what the 'OC' stood for... I think it was around the time we put our servers on the OC48 here..... We came to the conclusion that OC stands for "OH CRAP that's fast"..... :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Drasnor: yeah it's r*cos(theta)*phi_dot
    Drasnor: now let's say you're in the center of the solar system
    Drasnor: or i am
    Drasnor: you're still in michigan farting
    Drasnor: you've got that velocity (r*cos(theta)*phi_dot) in the negative phi direction
    Drasnor: as it turns out, the earth is canted on its axis about 22 degrees with respect to its orbital plane

prime: that's true
    prime: i knew that

Drasnor and prime discuss physics and..... flatulence.... :wtf:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    JimG opens a friend's computer case in an act of selfless good will, and...

"...and there was cubic inches of dust mites,bunnies, heck the farm was in there."

And you thought your computer was little dusty!
    edited March 2006
    Dennis poses the quintessential basic upgrade question:
    "Ummm, ok, how do I increase memory, if possible? I need more."

tmh88, in a flash of uncommon brilliance, responds:

"buy more?"

Mr. tmh88, we are grateful, Sir.
    edited March 2006
    Forums members ponder how we might get an official AMD or Intel representative resident at the site. tmh88, known for decisive, critical thinking, hatches a sure-fire plan:
    Definately, I'll go investigate that right now. Maybe we can pay them to hang with us on the forums and answer private questions. Then once they gain our trust we invite them to the SM lan and tie them up and make them give us stuff like scratch & sniff stickers of silicon or something.
    edited March 2006
    Leishi: Give me something cool to do in Beijing while I'm there
    Prime: Get china folding!
    Leishi: oh that
    Leishi: that's difficult

Prime: NOT IF YOU ARE A WARRIOR FOR SHORT-MEDIA
    with massive 1337-fu skills
    HI-YAH
    ninja your way into Beijing with folding cards and RESIST THE MAN while BRINGING FOLDING FREEDOM to the oppressed people whose computers are doing nothing with their idle cpu time!
    prime: ...
    prime: or, just take some cool pictures of people giving the "V" sign

prime and leishi discussing world issues...
    edited March 2006
    Kwitko: now, about my dowry
    primesuspect: Four sheep, two bundles of silk, and a bushel of oranges
    primesuspect: Not a bushel more

Kwitko: and control of keebs
    primesuspect: ....
    primesuspect: deal

Kwitko and primesuspect discuss the details of.... something.. who knows anymore?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    Good thing I like spicy food.
    One day doctors may tell you to start eating eight habanero peppers every three days.
    Ring of fire on the other end though...

-Zanthian has Johnny Cash spinning in his grave...
    edited April 2006
    Cyclonite: *Cries* This isn't exactly what I expected becoming part of the staff.

primesuspect: Nobody ever does, Cyclonite :( Nobody ever does.....
    edited April 2006
    ...I ask myself from time to time about why I even OC..... the only answer I have is because I can. It's kinda like asking why would you not choose to allow a small 1mm addition to the length of your pen0r..... it's not that big of a change, but some might think its dumb to not allow it. :p

RWB grows philosophical about overclocking.
    edited April 2006
    A short anecdote by Rada, epitomizing the spirit, grit, and resolve of a Short-Media staff member:
    Had a field medic help me extract a rather deep [ingrown toenail] with no pain killers, while out in the middle of Totally-Freaking-Nowhere, Honduras.....
    Went from a 5'9", 235lb M60 machine gun carrying badass to a whining 3 yr old in about .02 seconds.......
    edited April 2006
    An example of our members defending other members in moments of indiscretion. Here we find Thrax covering for a forum member in need, TheSmJ, after SmJ starts a bizarre thread:

"That's probably the most retarded thing that's ever been on this forum."

Tk, thinking that TheSmJ's reputation has been besmirched, jumps to SmJ's defense:

a
    "Apparently you haven't been reading his other posts."
    edited April 2006
    TheSmJ contracts a very strange disease:
    "I just finished getting over a nasty ass cold".

CBDroege shudders at the thought:
    "Wow... I hope I never get an ass cold..."
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Nightwolf: Building looks kinda like the cs_assault building from counter-strike!
    SCAR: Actually if you squint your eyes turn your monitor upside down and put your head between your legs, it kind of does...
    Nightwolf: If you turn your monitor upside down....and put your head between your legs..that would make the monitor right side up!

Nightwolf and SCAR discuss AuthorityAction's place of work...
    edited April 2006
    Our generous, big-hearted Primesuspect has taken in three children to his home. GHoosdum has provided us an explanation of why Prime's family grew so fast:

...have you seen the scene in spaceballs where they're at the diner and the guy who ordered the special has an alien burst from his torso, then the alien gives a song and dance? That's how prime got three more kids.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    "You know I loved my rabbit until the lamp didn't love it... :( It gave it a zap of affection back."
    -Sledgehammer70 comments on decist's new pet
    edited April 2006
    ...the axe is nice too...but if u use a pick axe you gotta wind up...go and make some ramen...then come back to the game and find yourself dead with the dang pitch fork still in mid swing...

WuGgaRoO shares his feelings about Silent Hill 4
    edited April 2006
    [22:12] skwitko: Right now I really can't spare the money, especially after my $1100 tax bill.
    [22:13] skwitko: And, uh, the dual core Opty I bought a month ago.
    [22:13] skwitko: And the four 320GB drives
    [22:14] skwitko: Money's tight, as you can see.

Kwitko contemplates coming to SHORT-MEDIA LAN 2006, despite financial circumstances that only a US Congressman could understand...
    edited April 2006
    This is Short-Media, where no shortcoming is allowed.

Esso tells it like it is in the Networking & Security Forum.
    edited April 2006
    Lewicron faces the challenges of overclocking a computer - his first try. Will this brave warrior overcome the enemy? Here's his latest comment from the front:

Damn. Still no joy. I wonder if it's worth downloading the latest BIOS, though I frankly have no idea whether it willl offer any advantage. It's starting to look as though the closest I'll get to overclocking this thing is to paint go-faster stripes down the sides.....
    edited May 2006
    Thrax and Omatic810 discuss the joy of good physical memory.

Omatic810:
    I've been running memtest for 4 DAYS now, trying to see once and for all if my PC problems have come from some faulty memory. Does anyone know how long Memstest is supposed to take, on average?

Thrax :
    Does it say "PASSES: 1" or more? If so, you win the internet and your RAM is fine.

Omatic810:
    Yep! It says, "Passes: 178". Meaning I must have uberRAM. I humbly accept this internet, and wish to donate it to the Short Media community. Thanks!
    edited May 2006
    I have trouble against a single normal Vampire, so I'm dreading the powerful one no matter how crap he is. Also having severe issues like being stuck in the Witch's house at daytime, but can't sleep or even just wait because I'm "trespassing" and can't stay outside for more than like 2 seconds else I die. Eventually managed to make some healing potions, run out the house, cast heal twice as I'm running (that's all I can cast my 25pt healing spell, twice =/ ) make sure I drank the potion, jump off the cliff into the river, drink another health potion and keep doing that till I run out and keep casting healing whenever I can and then swim down the river till I reach the cave and then go inside to "wait".

Yeah :/

Enverex describes a typical day in Elder Scrolls IV
    edited May 2006
    That was nerdy. You're a nerd. You're such a nerd that you and your nerd friends should run a site where you help aspiring nerds become nerdier by answering their nerd questions. And then when your nerd site has its two year anniversary, you should make a nerdy video where you paste pictures of you and your nerd friends' heads over comically simplified people playing instruments.

Wait. You already do all those things.

...Carry on.

(It was cute, really.)

profdlp's daughter critiques the Short-Media, Year 2: Flash Video
    edited May 2006
    Brian's New Hair: Cucamonga Nuclear Holocaust Lightshow
    "...He uses Macs, drinks exotic coffees, owns his own small business, practices an obscure eastern faith, can curse you in extinct tongues, and wants to consume bugs on a stick! But our favourite connoisseur of 'Music seven people in the world enjoy' is sportin' a new hair-do! We go inside the man, and find out just what happened! Did he have a back-alley run in with the coolaid man? Has his fetish for Chester the Cheetah finally gone to his head? Did he lose a duel at dawn with a bottle of clorox bleach?..."

Read all about it in the Bitter Crumpet Newsletter....
    edited May 2006
    Q complains of a very personal problem:
    My testicles itch whenever it rains....

Our resident Mr. Help provides sage advice:

This is a complicated question. When it rains, the atmosphere is naturally more humid, and humidity is a leading cause of male, genital discomfort. Nobody likes the batwing! My advice is to, in fact, overclock your PC and then teabag your processor so you can experience warm dryness.

Thanks for your question,
    Thrax
    edited May 2006
    ...50% of what happens around this place needs to be viewed with a sense of humor in order to be interpreted correctly, and the other half is SVT threads.

GHoosdum offers his perspective on forum japery.
    edited June 2006
    A frustrated user states:

"But my mom wont allow me to buy a fan grill and won't allow me to cut those tough metal grids :werr:"

ProfDLP observes:

"You can't really fault his mom. It all starts with something small like a fan grille, then one day you find that your kid has moved onto the harder stuff, like heatspreaders and watercooling. Before you know it he's mugging people to get the money for a vapochill unit."
    edited June 2006
    eh what the heck, i'll walk. i'll summon my inner Kenyan. but, compared to the speeds you'll be going, it's more like i'm teleporting myself to the finish line. so i don't get lonely, i guess i'll pace myself just ahead of GHoosdum and his cloud of exhaust. xD

sharkydart decides to enter the Team 93 Walk for a Cure
    edited June 2006
    airbornflgt bemoans the difficulty of teaching his mother PC skills:

I spent 2 FRIGGIN HOURS teaching her how to use the print dialogue box and how to print to my room over the network. ok, one little simple dialogue box == 2 HOURS. so lets see, to teach her windows, that comes out to be (carry the 2, move the decimal...) 6 Score and 90 Minutes
    edited June 2006
    Thrax comments on his iPod...or, hmm, relates what a customer stated to him (yeah, that's the story):
    "I think the firewall is blocking my power."
    Said by a customer unable to charge his iPod from his USB ports.
This discussion has been closed.