New Build Input

Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
edited May 2006 in Hardware
I'm putting together a new system and wanted any input on components or suggestions if anyone has had problems with particular items. I'm a casual gamer and do a lot of 3d/video work in AE, PS, Maya, etc. I'd like the best bang for the buck, even if it means I can't get the absolute top system. Here goes.

Abit KN8 SLI (I want a mb with optical out)
AMD 64 3000 or up (any suggestions?)
Seasonic 500W SLI
BFG 7800 GT OC (eventually going to two of these, but got a good deal from sgtwilliams on one)
1 GB of Patriot ddr pc 3200 (again, got a good deal on one stick will go to 2 GB or more shortly after)
2x WD SE16 250GB
Cooler Master Centurion 532
Antec 75003 120mm Ball Case Cooling Fan (for output, intake is included)
-Not sure if I can just run the stock HSF on the AMD 64 as I won't be overclocking?

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Abit KN8 SLI (I want a mb with optical out)
    Abit isn't what they used to be and I cannot recomend their boards anymore. If you want to overclock I will recomend one of the Asus boards. (One note on SLI; The older 16X SLI boards only had one 16X PCI-e lane that is divided into 2x 8X in SLI mode. The newer 32X boards do 2x 16X and make a lot better use of your 2 video cards in SLI but it come with a higher price tag.) If price is more of an issue I would choose from one of these 3 Asus boards. If you can afford it then go for this board that features 32X SLI.
    AMD 64 3000 or up (any suggestions?)
    I would highly recomend going with the 3200 for a single core CPU or 165 or 170 Opterons for a dual core. Either way it is well worth it. The 3200 has a higher multiplier that will allow much higher clock speeds and most are overclocking to 2.6 or more with ease.
    Seasonic 500W SLI
    This is a very good high quality PSU. But be cautioned that a more powerful unit will help eliminate potential problems. (550-600 would be better)
    BFG 7800 GT OC (eventually going to two of these, but got a good deal from sgtwilliams on one)
    Make certain you get the exact same model number card to avoid problems when you move to SLI.
    1 GB of Patriot ddr pc 3200 (again, got a good deal on one stick will go to 2 GB or more shortly after)
    Absolutely get the exact same memory and be certain the new stick is coming with the same exact modules to get troublefree performance. Otherwise it could become a nightmare of errors with mis-matched memory.
    2x WD SE16 250GB
    Good drives. Be cauthioned that if you intend to run in RAID-0 you will need to backup everything on the RAID array in case of failure to a third disk drive. I would actually recomend a 74GB WD Raptor for your OS and apps, 2x 80 or 120 GB for a RAID-0 array so your games load faster and a 200Gb or so for backup (optional). Trust me as I have payed with and use all kinds of RAID and non-RAID set-ups for the past several years.
    -Not sure if I can just run the stock HSF on the AMD 64 as I won't be overclocking?
    Why not?
    With a good board like any of the 4 I listed it is easy and you will get much more performance out of your system. You can also raise it a little at a time for future mini-upgrades if you wish. But for stock the stock HSF is fine as they supply good quality units. Just be sure to scrape off the thermal pad that comes on the HS and use some Arctic Silver 5 instead. I do prefer the aftermarket units as they can run much quieter even if not overclocking.

Good Luck!!;)
  • Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited May 2006
    The HD issue has really got me thinking. Because of the time I spend on a lot of my stuff, it is extremely important that I keep everything backed up. On my current rig, I have two WD 160GB drives in raid 1 and an 80GB scratch disk. I'm really liking the option of the 74GB raptor for the OS and apps and then taking one of the 160GB drives and using it for all my files and storage and moving the 80 GB drive in there as well.

1) 74 GB OS and Apps, 160 GB Storage, 80 GB Scratch
    2) 74 GB OS and Apps, 160 GB Storage, maybe another scratch as well

My question becomes, is it readily possible that I could have computer 1 back its data up to computer 2 on a nightly basis? The only thing computer 2 will end up getting used for is if something happens to 1 or I'm rendering out a lot of files.

Ideally, it would be nice if I could schedule computer 2 to turn itself on and off as well whenever the backup needed to take place, but I'm not sure how that would be done either. It's also likely that I will not be able to maintain a network as I will be in a university residence for grad school. I've never tried using a router/hub as the input connection before, so if it's simple to do that just let me know.

I know it's a bunch of issues, I'd appreciate any help.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited May 2006
    On the 7800GT, it shouldn't matter what brand you use for a second as Nvidia has released drivers for the last 4 months that allow two different manufaturers cards to work together.

However, they may be more apt to isses...but techinicly they should work fine.

I would opt for a better PSU if I were you. It would be ideal to have one with 2 12v rails if you plan on SLI in the future. Those SLI certs haven't been updated since SLI was released, so alot of those small wattage supplies were tested on 6 series cards that don't pull 3/4s of the power that 7800GT pulls. 7800's pull more juice then any other Nvidia card, even the 7900's, and idealy you want to have a PSU that has at or more then 18A on each 12v rail or a single rail with over 35A total on the 12v rail. I would suggest either OCZ or Silverstone as they have always proved to be knock out PSU's.

Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341001

Even though it's a little expensive, you won't be dissapointed no will would be without power any time soon.
  • sgtwilliamssgtwilliams Grand Rapids MI
    edited May 2006
    Does the Mobo support RAID 5?

I am a big fan of RAID 0 for speed and or Raptors for Speed or in the best case I now have 4 WD Raptors in a RAID 5 on my ASUS board. The latest intel and AMD supporting boards are including SATA RAID 5 also which solves the speed and the redundancy problems.

I almost went SLI with that 7800 GT OC but I compared and found that the X1900XT solo was going to be faster and if I ever get really froggy I will get a crossfire board and another one of those.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited May 2006
    Best bang for the buck A64. I been watching this one it was $111.00 last week.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537
  • Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited May 2006
    Anyone know if it will be possible to connect a router to a single provided lan connection so that I can network the two PC's?

Also, I know this is getting into the software section, but how might I go about routinely backing up data from one pc to another?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    There is software to do it but I am not certain about the reliability of scheduling the backup comp to start on its own or to wake up via the backup software. Also most software the incorporates remote backups with advanced options is kind of spendy.
  • sgtwilliamssgtwilliams Grand Rapids MI
    edited May 2006
    Your standard Linksys/Dlink Router will do the trick. All of your PCS plugged into the switch ports will be on a private 192.168.X.X network. talking Windows XP home make sure they are in the same workgroup and you can then share resources. If XP Pro same deal or get complicated and create a 2000 or 2003 Domain controller, lots more sharing and true "networking" but more boxes needed.

You could use system backup utility to backup to a mapped drive, not sure if you can map a share in a workgroup.