Tourney scheduling help

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited May 2006 in Community
I have no experience with big tournaments for RTS games such as AOE3 and BFME2.

Approximately how long does, say, a 4 on 4 tournament last? (for AOE3).

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Well I'd say a standard 4v4 game usually takes a couple hours at least... I've played some games that have lasted upwards of 3 hours or more...
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Hey prime are yopu going to do single play elim? or 3 round matches? like best of 3... I run RTS tournaments left and right, so feel free to pick my brain.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Okay, consider your brain picked. Can you educate me? I've never run an RTS tourney :D
    edited May 2006
    just do 1 round elim's which takes 15 to 30 minutes per round. So for 16 players = about 2 hours if they play back to back rounds... 32 players = 2 1/2 hours....
    edited May 2006
    So you don't suggest teams?
    edited May 2006
    Teams are good if we have enough players
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Teams are a MUST cuz I suck and need otherts to die with me!!!
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited May 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Teams are a MUST cuz I suck and need otherts to die with me!!!

i second that...ill be more of a burden than anything else.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Wow, you guys are really making your cases for people to want you on their teams...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    For AOE3, I recommend starter decks being required for at least the first round of the tournament. That way everyone starts on theoretically equal footing.
    edited May 2006
    Um I own at BFME2 :)
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited May 2006
    Um I own at BFME2 :)

That's because you haven't played me :rockon: I'll drop your race* like a bad transmission!!!!!

Disclaimer: *Battle for Middle Earth 2 is an real-time strategy game where various races attempt to conquer each other. The term race used above is in reference to this game and not the race of any other factional or fictional player, person, or individual. Had there been an intention to disparage a particular race, class, or ethincity it would have been spelled out specifically in the message by the author.
    edited May 2006
    Oh it's on!

Just wait, I have 3-4 weeks to get good at it! omgz! :Pwned:
    edited May 2006
    oCoMiK wrote:
    That's because you haven't played me :rockon: I'll drop your race* like a bad transmission!!!!!

Disclaimer: *Battle for Middle Earth 2 is an real-time strategy game where various races attempt to conquer each other. The term race used above is in reference to this game and not the race of any other factional or fictional player, person, or individual. Had there been an intention to disparage a particular race, class, or ethincity it would have been spelled out specifically in the message by the author.

Dude you have no Idea who your talking to.... lol... I can't run a site like this and suck...
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Hmm... my RTS matches (1v1) usually take upwards of 3 hours apiece... I guess I like a more long-term economic style game...
    edited May 2006
    I can make a BFME2 game last 3 hours, but you do not want to see the army I wil have coming at you....
    edited May 2006
    LAN 06 Smack Talking has begun! :rolleyes:
    edited May 2006
    Now that I'm thinking about it, if we're scheduling 15 to 20 minutes per round, that means that these are going to be rushing games. I'm not a rush game player, in fact, I always specify "No Rush" as rule #1 when I am the host PC for any RTS.

If we're scheduling 2 hours for the whole tournament, that pretty much guarantees that these will be rush games. So I think I'll drop out of the tourney.
    edited May 2006
    In tournament play it is all about killing your opponent and moving on.... if you want a non rush game I will setup anothe rLaptop with no one playing you :)
    edited May 2006
    Dude you have no Idea who your talking to.... lol... I can't run a site like this and suck...
    I've seen other owners suck at what they do even though they run a website...

I have no trouble bringing the nerf guns and shooting you while you play!!!! :necro:
    edited May 2006
    I will put auto pilot on :) I mean auto I win on
    edited May 2006
    I agree with Q. In fact, just the fact that you spend time maintaining that website means that you spend that much less time playing the game... time which others can spend playing, so that they can pwn you. ;)
    edited May 2006
    I don't even know what rushing means.

Rob, if you would like to plan the AOE 3 tournament, I am perfectly happy giving you the reigns. Mat, you can run the BFME tournament. I'd rather the experts do it than me. I'm more of a cheerleader/delegating type... I hate getting mired in details :)
    edited May 2006
    well when I played online I was ranked 2nd in the online ladders out fo 130,000+ players. I stopped playing in my own tournaments as I was making it to the finals every time.....

I love RTS games... it is my passion
    edited May 2006

Rob, if you would like to plan the AOE 3 tournament, I am perfectly happy giving you the reigns. Mat, you can run the BFME tournament. I'd rather the experts do it than me. I'm more of a cheerleader/delegating type... I hate getting mired in details :)

Eww I have spiffy ladders we could use and post for the SM communtiy to see :)
    edited May 2006

Rushing is when a player or players build as many forces as quickly as possible in order to catch the other person before they can build a defense. It usually means that anyone who is not using a rushing strategy gets destroyed before they can even begin to actually play the game. A game of AOE3 for me usually takes 1.5 to 3 hours, depending upon the number of players, and involves building up through all the ages that the game contains, then implementing a strategy based upon how the opponents have performed their buildup. A game for a rusher usually takes 15 to 20 minutes and involves one person or team spamming units at the others in an early age, preventing the progression from age-to-age, and really preventing the use of strategy gameplay - the game is reduced to a single simple formula every time. A common rushing tactic in AOE3 is called "Fast Fortress" which involves trying to get to the fortress age more quickly than your opponent, then building your fortress as close to the enemy's base as the game engine allows, then spamming them with a constant barrage of units from the fortress. It's a winning combination, but it doesn't take skill, only speed, and the game is no longer a strategy game at all. :rant:

Brian, thank you for the offer to run the tourney, but I am far from being knowledgeable about running tournaments. I've played many games of AOE3, but I've never even played in an RTS tournament, let alone run one. I'm afraid I'll have to decline your offer. :)
    edited May 2006
    Okay rushing sounds really dumb. What's the point of playing? At that point it's more of a clicking contest.... :confused:

Okay, yeah I agree, no rushing.

If you think two hours isn't enough, then tell me what you think. Please, I'm all ears :)

Point of LAN: Have fun with friends, not get into bickers about details
    edited May 2006
    And just another point: The calendar is not set in stone. Just because you see a block of red that says "two hours" doesn't mean that 2 hours from the start, I'm going to be pulling the plug. The game starts at 11:00 AM, and will go until it is finished :)
    edited May 2006
    Okay rushing sounds really dumb. What's the point of playing? At that point it's more of a clicking contest.... :confused:

Okay, yeah I agree, no rushing.

If you think two hours isn't enough, then tell me what you think. Please, I'm all ears :)

Point of LAN: Have fun with friends, not get into bickers about details

I think the length of the tournament would wind up depending upon how many people or teams are involved. Mat would probably be better equipped to answer this question based on a laddering system... but I think we should schedule 1 hour minimum per round. But that's just off the top of my head.

I agree with the point being having fun. I played less games last year than I did at 2004's LAN, and I had more fun. That's because I mainly hung out with people most of the time. I anticipate this year being even more fun, and I don't even know if I'll wind up playing anything! ;D
    edited May 2006
    Another point... since this is a friendly tourney... how about we rate ourselves. The really awesome guys are assigned to different teams so that we don't end up with two pros against 3 noobs... Heck, two pros verses 4 noobs would be interested.

Last year, SewerTrooper made all of us look like children in Rome: Age of Empires. But he saw that and penalized himself so it was a bit more fair. He also instructed several of us (even during the game) on better ways to use our troops. That made it more fun, we learned, and I was able to ALMOST beat him (with a slight handicap) by the end of the night!!!