strategy games without glitches

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited May 2006 in Community
My plan is to bring a stack of strategy board games, and set them up at the LAN, instead of bringing a computer. I will spend the event hosting one board game after another.

Before I solidify this plan, there are a few things I need to know.

First, how many attendees are interested in playing at least one strategy board game at the event?

Second, we still don't seem to be sure about exactly how the space in the tent will work out, and the board games table may have to be relegated indoors (it may have to be anyway for other reasons, like the need for light, and for barriers from the wind) If the game board table were to be indoors, would that decrease the intrest in playing, since it would take you away from the central action? Does anyone think that having the table away from the 'action' is preferable?

Also:
The games themselves. I have, or have access to, dozens of strategy board games. I wont be brining all of them, so I may need asistance from the interested players in deciding which games to bring to the table.

I'm already planning to bring:

Settlers of Catan (with the basic 6-player expansion)
This is the most balanced and non-agression-inducing strategy game in my collection (possibally in the world). It is easily the favorite of my gaming group, so it will be in the stack.

Duel of Ages (with 4 of the 5 expansions)
This is the most flexible strategy game in my collection. It can be played by any number of players between 2 and 20, and it can be set for any length of time between 1 and 5 hours. It's a neat game that plays out sort of like a video-game deathmatch, where players need to find neat weapons and items around the board, and use them to kill each other while trying to earn points in various 'adventures'

Mile Bornes
This is the classic French card game for two players, the same one that comes with any windows classic games pack, except these are reall cards, and you get to play against a real person. This game is going to be there just in case we run into a time when only a couple of people are at the table.

Pente
This is another game that is for the times when only a couple of peple want to play. It's the classic game of strategy from which so many others were derived. Like Othello, the rules are very simple, while the strategy is unequivocally complex.

Puerto Rico
Take on the role of one of five Puerto Rican Governors during the Spanish colonial period. Plant crops, build offices, warehouses, and markets, send expencive goods back to the continent to earn the most victory points.

Shadows Over Camelot
A seven player co-op board game. That's right it's the players versus the game itself, and the game is no pushover. Teamwork, and cooperation are required if the knights of camelot are to hold back to forces of evil. It doesn't help that one of the players could randomly have been assigned 'the traitor', working secretly against the others, he/she can only win if everyone else loses.

Those are certain, but I want to bring a few others for variety sake. I'll post a list of the other available games soon, so that I can see if there are any that others are familiar with, and would like for me to bring along.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I'm interested in playing at least one of the games. I will bring Puerto Rico.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I think the board games table should be indoors, for a variety of reasons, the least of which is wind concerns. Board games are better suited for a square table and face to face play, right? It will be much easier to pull this off indoors.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I'd be willing to do at least one game of any of those but I have not played them before. I used to LOVE Risk... Battle of Midway was was always a favorite but it's been almost 20 years since I've play it.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Sorry I will be glued to RTS Games and some BF2 action :)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    primie wrote:
    I think the board games table should be indoors

okay. Do I need to try to bring a table?
    QCH2002 wrote:
    I'd be willing to do at least one game of any of those but I have not played them before. I used to LOVE Risk... Battle of Midway was was always a favorite but it's been almost 20 years since I've play it.

I've explained how to play each of these games many times, so it will be no problem to explain any of them again :)

Hoever, if you want, most of these games have the rules available online. If there is one that you are interested in, you could look it up in advance (although, you'd still proly have to sit through explanation for others.)
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I will bring Puerto Rico.

I was gonna put that on the list :)
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited May 2006
    Sorry I will be glued to RTS Games and some BF2 action :)

Like Sledge, I'm here to ....

LAN, first and foremost, and eat something (taste of Prime?) because it allows me to continue LAN'g (is that a word), and socialize with the other players while Lan'g.

It sounds to me like there's just too many other activities (duct tape, board games, etc...) that run the chance of cutting into the LAN action.

Just my two cents :nudge:
    edited May 2006
    I'll be at the event primarily to socialize and visit with friends, and possibly to do a little gaming on the side. If I really want to game, I can do so at home. I can't visit with this many friends from all over the world when I'm at home. In other words, I'd be at the LAN even if I didn't have a PC to bring.
    edited May 2006
    Personally, I think it's easier to get more quality socializing and getting to know one another over a boardgame than it is over a LAN. That's why I had the idea to do this. If there isn't more interest however, there will be no need for me to bring the games.

Maybe a poll would be in order...

/me goes to start a poll about interest in boardgaming at the LAN...
    edited May 2006
    I don't mean anything by this, but I have never heard of a LAN with Board games... I mean it is a LAN, I have heard of Duct tape stuff and Hard Drive shuffle Board, but never have I seen Board Games show up at a LAN.

I guess there is always a first.
    edited May 2006
    I have never seen a LAN with boardgames either. Then again, SM does a lot of things that are atypical at LAN parties. And SM LAN is the only LAN party that I attend because of the people rather than the gaming.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Don't forget to mention Mantouch... SM-LAN is notorious for it... infamous probably.... :rolleyes:
    edited May 2006
    In my opinion a LAN party always needs some games that are not on the computer, to kind-of break up the time.

The best was at one of the LANWAR events, they had one of those inflatable pugilist arenas. That was fun, and it gave everyone something to do other than look at a computer monitor and eat.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    CBDroege wrote:
    Personally, I think it's easier to get more quality socializing and getting to know one another over a boardgame than it is over a LAN...
    Total agreement from this corner. :cheers:

Not to mention that you're far less likely to spaz out and knock your beer over. :beer:
    edited May 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Total agreement from this corner. :cheers:

Not to mention that you're far less likely to spaz out and knock your beer over. :beer:

I guess you haven't played an indepth game of monopoly with me... or Risk! man we have to pad the rooms whend eals go down...
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited May 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Don't forget to mention Mantouch... SM-LAN is notorious for it... infamous probably.... :rolleyes:

target2sm.JPG

Hi there!!!! I'll be at SM LAN '06, too!
  • edited May 2006
    I'd be interested in giving any one of the shorter (hour or less) games a shot, since I know my attention span's limitations, and UT2k4 and HL2DM will start to make my eyes bleed after a full night of gaming.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    We don't have too many of those games... Settlers of Catan is probably the shortest game and it lasts at least an hour, usually closer to two...
    edited May 2006
    Games that last less that an hour are usually based more on luck than strategy.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Indeed... Nothing like playing a 3 or 4 hour game of Duel of Ages that comes down to one die roll at the end...
    edited May 2006
    That's just because the teams are usually so evenly matched :P
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I would play at least one game. I can bring Shadow over Camelot which is 7 player co-op against the board game, if people are interested.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    CBDroege wrote:
    Games that last less that an hour are usually based more on luck than strategy.
    It's like sex, then. :o