120 mm goodness IS NOW HERE!

edited June 2006 in Hardware
Well, Sidewindercomputers finally rounded some up and they should be in on the 25th and I'm buying one. I'm talking about the grandaddy of all 120mm fans, the infamous Delta GFB1212VHW fans,whose measurements are 120 X 76mm. :respect: And yes, that's right, as thick as 2 normal high cfm 120's and for a reason: there are 2 fan assemblies mounted in this beast. The following performance stats are copied from their site:

CFM-220.29 :headbange
Noise-59.0 dB :eek:
Power requirements-31.80watts, 2.65 amps :eek2:
Price-around $50 :bawling:

One good thing about these fans is that they are going to wire each fan independently, so each fan can have it's own controller circuit and your fan controller should be able to handle the power requirements of this beast. Since I still have 2 channels open on my fan controller, this will be no problem for me to run it at more sane levels of noise. And yes, I am ordering 1 for myself as soon as they are in stock.:woowoo:

Here's a pic of the beast. :D

And I hope that Geeky1 sees these as there is no way he can pass on this fan.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    No offense, but just one word - why?
  • edited May 2006
    Because it's the baddest boy around and I want it, that's the main reason. :D
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Does it come with ear plugs?

Actually, with your fan controller, I imagine that thing can move quite a bit of air at low noise, once it's turned down. If it's anything like the Sunon 120mm that's in IC_11, it'll need almost full power to get spinning on startup, but it can be reduced to minimum after that.
  • edited May 2006
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, Garg. Plus, the static air pressure of this fan should be way high too, even when throttled down to managable noise levels and much higher static pressure delivery than a 38mm thick fan. BTW, this fan isn't the noisiest 120mm fan that Delta makes. They make a TFB series 120mm turbulent flow fan that pushes a few more cfm than this one, but with something like 65-68 dB of noise.:hair: That one would get on your nerves in a real hurry.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    What? :wow: What?
    You'll have to type a little louder I can't hear you over that dang jet whistle ...my it's getting a little breezy in here!!! hehe ;D
    edited May 2006
    This place has a whole bunch of used monster 120mm fans for sale, and many are 120V AC. If anyone is freaking insane, let me know, and I'll find out how much they want for them. :D
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited May 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Well, Sidewindercomputers finally rounded some up and they should be in on the 25th and I'm buying one. I'm talking about the grandaddy of all 120mm fans, the infamous Delta GFB1212VHW fans,whose measurements are 120 X 76mm. :respect: And yes, that's right, as thick as 2 normal high cfm 120's and for a reason: there are 2 fan assemblies mounted in this beast. The following performance stats are copied from their site:

CFM-220.29 :headbange
    Noise-59.0 dB :eek:
    Power requirements-31.80watts, 2.65 amps :eek2:
    Price-around $50 :bawling:

One good thing about these fans is that they are going to wire each fan independently, so each fan can have it's own controller circuit and your fan controller should be able to handle the power requirements of this beast. Since I still have 2 channels open on my fan controller, this will be no problem for me to run it at more sane levels of noise. And yes, I am ordering 1 for myself as soon as they are in stock.:woowoo:

Here's a pic of the beast. :D

Noise-59.0 dB. Ouch.:eek:
    muddocktor wrote:
    And I hope that Geeky1 sees these as there is no way he can pass on this fan.

Just imagine the damage he could do to his fingers with this one.:-/
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited May 2006
    hey let us know if theres any noticable change in temps, its got me wondering.
  • edited May 2006
    They are now in stock!

I just ordered mine by phone as they didn't have the 2-molex connector option listed on their website. I talked to Gary, who was putting connectors on the first of these monsters and he added the 2 molex connector option to my fan order and he also said that he will add that option on the website for the fan too. While talking to him, he finished wiring the fan up and ran it for me. The sound surprised me, in that you don't hear a high pitched whine from it at all, and confirmed by Gary too. He also said the air out of it is concentrated to blowing out in a straight line, even more so than the FFB and TFB fans do. Also, he said that he could feel no dead spot behind the fan hub either and that the airflow was just incredible.

BTW, Gary said that they have over 200 of these fans, so I imagine that they will have some for a while. But don't dawdle too long before ordering, as I think they will sell pretty quick, even at $49.95 a pop.
  • edited May 2006
    Dang, nearly $10,000 in fans...
  • edited May 2006
    I don't think he is making a killing off them either, Gary said it was a real hard decision to make, ordering that many of these fans. But he had to order at least that many for Delta to manufacture them. He said it was a hell of a lot of money that he had to put out, buying these monsters.
  • edited May 2006
    I'm not saying he is making a killing, just boggling at the amount of money "some fans" represent. I bet if he hooked all 200 up and faced them so that the discharge pointed in the opposite direction of earth's rotation and turned them on we'd end up with a shorter day.
  • edited June 2006
    I got in from work this evening and checked out all the goodies I had ordered while at work, including THE BEAST" and a Thermalright SI-120 I had got on another forums. And this fan is freaking awesome! And believe it or not, it's loud but not annoying, like a Vantec Tornado is. It has a much deeper pitch than a normal high cfm fan. And once on my fan controller in my case, this should provide great cooling on the SI-120.

A few notes here, in case you are wondering if you can use this beast.

1. The fan is right at 2 15/16 inches thick, a real large, thick fan.

2. Mounted on an SI-120, the hsf combo is right at 6 3/4 inches tall with a fan grill installed on top of the fan. So mounting in a narrow case is out, to say the least. I don't even know if it will mount in my Coolermaster Praetorian 730 case yet; I might have to order the windowed side cover and then cut a hole for the fan.

I'll try to post some pics of the beast tomorrow (gives me a chance to play with my other new toy, a Cannon S3 IS digicam). :D Also, I'm going to try to swing by csimon's house this weekend sometime and I'll bring the beast over to his house and see what he thinks too.:rockon:
  • edited June 2006
    Just do us all a favor and if you're going to be running it out of a case please screw a grille on it first. We don't want to hear about you or csimon losing limbs in an unfortunate HSF accident.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I had a 120mm Vantec Tornado in mine. Not worth it at ALL. That thing was soooo fricking loud I had to pull it out and splice the wires down to get it to run on only 4 volts. If you want to listen to a hairdryer constantly though, enjoy!!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2006
    I have a pair of 120x38mm deltas around here somewhere. Every once and a while I feel compelled to fire them up :D

If anyone has ever heard a Dell poweredge 2850 or 1850 at bootup, you'll be greeted by about 6 or 7 deltas at full bore. I fired one up in the office once and caused a bit of a stir :) They settle down to low RPM after about 5 seconds or so..
  • edited June 2006
    Madmat, that is the first thing I did, install a fan grille. I'm not a masochist that likes to amputate parts of my finger like Geeky. :D;)

pseudo, it's a totally different sound than the Tornado fans, although I've never heard a 120mm Tornado. I have heard the 92 and 80mm Tornado fans and yes, those howl like a banshee.
  • edited June 2006
    Here's a few pics of the beast and the SI-120, both separate and together.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=20282&d=1149363629
    attachment.php?attachmentid=20283&d=1149363629
    attachment.php?attachmentid=20284&d=1149363629
  • edited June 2006
    Here's a couple more with the fan mounbted on the hs and next to the stock retail AMD heatpipe.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=20285&d=1149363822
    attachment.php?attachmentid=20286&d=1149363822
    edited June 2006
    I'm not familiar with the SI-120; how do you mount that beast of a fan on the heatsink? Bailing wire and/or duct tape? Large bolts? I imagine you need something pretty sturdy ;)
  • edited June 2006
    It's Thermalright's successor to the XP120 and it uses the fan clip wires just like the XP120 and XP90 series use. They actually hold very well.
  • edited June 2006
    That's just insane MD, I think you need to get wet.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2006
    OMG

just how loud is it?
  • edited June 2006
    Well, just got back from vacation last night and I plan to try to do something with the beast tomorrow. I first need to lap the SI 120 down though, since concave bases seem to be the biggest problem with Thermalright's newest heatpipe heatsinks. I brought it over to csimon's house today and we played around with the fan some; he can also corroberate that this monster fan isn't nearly as offensive as a Vantec Tornado or Delta FFB or TFB. Plus, the sucker throws air to amazing distances too; Chris was standing 4 feet away from it and you could see the fan blowing his shirt around. :D
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I agree ...it's not so bad at all. The tornado is way louder in an offensive way. This thing is just amazing. I imagine using it exhausting out of a case whether thru a heatsink or radiator and ducted to a closet or baffel of some sort ...but it's hardly as loud as you would imagine. Forget about the screaming deltas and torados of the past.
    I can't wait to hear this thing with the fan controller on it.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    :wow:You must post pics with it mounted in the case. That thing is friggin huge. I'm dying to see if it's going to fit :hair:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Just... incredible.

The comparison photo between this and the stock AMD heatpipe sink make me laugh.
  • edited June 2006
    I mounted it on my system late last night and have it fired up presently. But I had to go to work this evening so I didn't have a chance to take any pics of it mounted and running today before I left (had to change the oil on the truck before I left). But I do have one big snag with it; it sticks out about 1/2-3/4 inch beyond the case side on my Coolermaster Praetorian case. :( I'm going to have to get me a wider case to mount the beast into it. Right now I have the case side off and it looks awesome sticking out the case side though. As far as temps go, even with the AS5 not fully cooked in the temps are as good with it as an XP90C with a 92mm Vantec Tornado mounted (thanks for the fan Chris) with loaded temps at 36-38 C with 2 folding clients running. And the noise at full speed is loud, but not nearly as annoying as that Tornado screamer. With the speed on the fans pulled back a bit, the fan noise isn't bad at all and temps still look great.

As soon as I get in from work I will post some pics of it mounted in my Praetorian. :D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    I mounted it on my system late last night and have it fired up presently. But I had to go to work this evening so I didn't have a chance to take any pics of it mounted and running today before I left (had to change the oil on the truck before I left). But I do have one big snag with it; it sticks out about 1/2-3/4 inch beyond the case side on my Coolermaster Praetorian case. :( I'm going to have to get me a wider case to mount the beast into it. Right now I have the case side off and it looks awesome sticking out the case side though. As far as temps go, even with the AS5 not fully cooked in the temps are as good with it as an XP90C with a 92mm Vantec Tornado mounted (thanks for the fan Chris) with loaded temps at 36-38 C with 2 folding clients running. And the noise at full speed is loud, but not nearly as annoying as that Tornado screamer. With the speed on the fans pulled back a bit, the fan noise isn't bad at all and temps still look great.

As soon as I get in from work I will post some pics of it mounted in my Praetorian. :D

Don't get a new case... cut a hole in it, like the guys who can't fit their whole engine underneath the hood. ;)
    edited June 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Don't get a new case... cut a hole in it, like the guys who can't fit their whole engine underneath the hood. ;)

A shaker case! ;D