Must-Have Software

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited June 2006 in Science & Tech
I'm always in need of different software that I can't always find easily on Google. I'd love to have one place where we could have a bunch of software that we could download (Freeware of-course, and possibly Trials). I'll start us off with:

Transparent Screen Lock
- A little utility that will lock your computer while running the programs in your background, like downloads...

Mozy - Use this link for this Online Back-Up Service, and you'll get the normal 2 GB of free storage, plus an extra 256MB for using me as a "friend"! BTW, Prof and Airborn also have accounts now, so you can get there refferal codes if you don't like me.

Google Earth - Everyone knows what this is. (High System Requirements)

Google SketchUp - A nice little program, mostly for engineers, and stuff, that lets you design buildings.

Trillian - An instant messenger program that integrates AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, and MSN.

Stardock - A bunch of programs, some free, some trials, that are used to change your XP boot-up screen, login screen, windows desktop theme, and "Object Dock", a sort of a Mac Start bar for Windows.

Post some more unique and cool programs. I always like messing with them even if they're useless. If it makes appearance better, Post it, if it makes performance better, post it, if it does :bs: , POST IT!!! :cheers:

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited May 2006
    µTorrent - Fantastically small and powerful BitTorrent client. Many of the same features as Azureus, with 1/10 the footprint. Doesn't even need to be installed :)
    4 MB of RAM with 40 torrents going currently

Wallpaper Calendar 3 - Has made my life so much easier. It's EXACTLY what I need to keep things organized, in a convenient place where I always see it, yet it's not obnoxious.
    3 MB of RAM

Tag & Rename & Audio Identifier - Great utilities for keeping your music library organized. Really, these are invaluable tools.

Mmm - Goofy name, great tool. Lets you remove ANY right-click option from (almost) any application. Number one reason I got it was for ATi's damn CCC, but I found out how nice it is to remove any number of useless options.
    1.3 MB of RAM, always running
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    Haha, I downloaded it all except the Mmm. Keep going.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I like the idea behind this... I don't use much, I am a minimalist.

AVG - Good all around AV software...

Firefox - You should already be using this...

VLC Player - I use this for my DiVX,XViD,DVD's... WMP and Quicktime for various other formats.

Quicktime Pro - Most don't like it, but I love quicktime. And Quicktime Pro let's you do so much more, it's worth the small price.

Simple DiVX - A great and SUPER easy to use, no need to read 20 pages, method for encoding your movies to a small file size so you don't have to carry 100's of DVD's around with you.

Diskeeper - Another great simple util for defragging your HDD's.
    edited May 2006
    RWB wrote:
    Diskeeper - Another great simple util for defragging your HDD's.
    That's a good one.

XFire - This is a little chat agent that will let you talk through multiplayer games like CS and COD2 and stuff. It works for most games that I own, and it has a huge library so compatibility with a game shouldn't be an issue.
    edited May 2006
    Gameshadow - Links to the SM article, more info there.
    edited May 2006
    Cmon people i know you have more useful software.

CursorXP - Looks cool....
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I'm loving that Gameshadow software...

Here is one more, I love Omega Drivers.

Had I used other software I'd add them, but I am a minimalist. Any other things I use it kinda propietary or my laptop or desktop... IE they come from the manufacturer.

Although I do have EasyPHP installed, which allows me to have an Apache/PHP/SQL server running on my lappy here. It's a good all in one webserver for what I do on the side.

For spyware and adware, I use Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware. Plus the Previously mentioned AVG. I cannot recall when I last had anything bad on my system other than your general tracking cookie. I love how Spybot has the Hosts list addin so you can automatically block a ton of sites on your PC, as well as some other behind the scenes stuff that I never even take notice. Ad Aware is just good at checking for things Spybot misses. It's not a perfect system, but I don't generally open every email I get or goto those sites that infect my PC. Plus I use Firefox which helps even more, and I keep everything up to date. I almost forgot Windows Defender.

My firewall is my router... I would hate to have a softare firewall on my system.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Winamp
    AVG
    Omega video drivers
    Spybot S&D
    Ad-Aware
    Ewido
    MS Defender
    Perfectdisk
    Media Player Classic
    Spacemonger
    Y'z Toolbar
    UXTheme Multi-Patcher
    Alcohol 120%
    Nero 6.6.0.15 (specifically)
    Quicktime Alternative
    Dreamweaver MX
    Foxit PDF Reader
    Photoshop
    Azureus

aaaaand...

Reforce.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    VLC media player
    firefox
    trillian
    regcleaner
    cpuz
    itunes
    ad-aware
    dvd shrink
    edited May 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    UXTheme Multi-Patcher
    (Everyone) Where do you get your themes from. Links would be nice. :)
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    Consolidate as many diagnostic tools as possible into one bootable CD.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4660.html
    Unlocker 1.83
    Unlocker helps delete locked files with error messages like:
    Cannot delete file: Access is denied
    There has been a sharing violation.
    The source or destination file may be in use.
    The file is in use by another program or user.
    edited May 2006
    Anyone know of any software that will limit bandwidth given to certain programs? For example, if I have a download running on Firefox, and I'm playing CS, I only want to give Firefox any extra bandwidth so CS doesn't lag...
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited May 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    Anyone know of any software that will limit bandwidth given to certain programs? For example, if I have a download running on Firefox, and I'm playing CS, I only want to give Firefox any extra bandwidth so CS doesn't lag...

I'm not sure of any software, but I know of a router that allocates bandwidth where by default games come first.

Here's what I mean

gamefuel_on_off_420.gif

http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370&#DGL-4300

This is just one of the models D-link offers. Not sure if any other router companies have made one also.

For the original question.

Bitornado (bitorrent tool, I've grown to like it)
    Trillean
    Warcraft 3, Its so small, 4 minute install, so many hours wasted
    FRAPS - Very cheap (19.99) and lets you capture pics in 3 formats and video
    WinRAR - Single greatest tool ever devised in regards to .zip and .rar files
    VLC
    AVG Free, freaking awesome AV software, hardly gimpware, and defenitly not bloatware.
    Windows Defender
    Daemon Tools
    edited May 2006
    SCAR wrote:

A Linksys WRT54G less than v5 can do that for you.
  • edited June 2006
    NOD 32 - antivirus (rulzzzz) Internet monitor - great )
    QIP (pager)
    Total Commander !!!!!!!
    edited June 2006
    Hey, you're banned. lolol. GG.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited June 2006
    Bart's PE builder. Used to create a boot CD which can then be used to launch any number of useful programs and utilities (mainly data recovery / anti virus type things)
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    NetLimiter

I haven't used it in awhile, so it might've changed. Also, I seem to remember being able to allocate only certain programs certain amounts, but I may be wrong. In any case, it's a very useful tool.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    7-Zip - A compression utility that allows several formats - I use it for unzipping RAR files mainly. The file browser isn't 100% user-friendly, but it's serviceable for what it does.

A note on Sketchup: it's not just for designing buildings. You can design pretty much anything with it. I'm using it to tweak designs for the workbench I'll be building - by creating standard sizes for dimensional lumber, you can build and rebuild a variety of different items.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited June 2006
    Audacity - Sweetass program for recording, audio editing, and just messing around with songs.

Daemon Tools

DVD Shrink

DVD Decrypter