Help with diet and weight gain

Comments

• EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    The GF puts the hooks into you when you're looking good.
    Then after you gained some weight its all over, until next run.

If you don't eat the food, you make her feel miserable.
    And if you eat too much .....
    There is no way you are going to win this, many have tried ... :D
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited May 2006
    Ok so here it is Sunday May 21st. I weigh 121 lbs. I"m gonna try to see if I can gather a list of stuff to eat to increase my calories and all and see where it takes me. Wish me luck guys.

edit: citrix, those results are amazing, damn good job bro.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    thanks man, i used www.fitday.com to log all my food.
    they have alot of predefined foods and you can add your own if you need to.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited May 2006
    You really need to put Biscuits and Gravy at the top of that list heh. Trust me...my great aunt (God rest her soul) made me that stuff every morning for 12 years when I was in grade/high school. It managed to put about 75lbs on me that I really didn't need =D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    My wife calculated the caloric content of the pizza that we make from scratch. 440 calories per slice for plain cheese. Now that's a high-calorie food.
    edited May 2006
    I got up this morning and ate two waffles and a glass of milk. About 2 1/2 hours later I ate a banana. And at 1:00 I ate a sandwich, little debbie snack cake, and yogurt and a gatorade. Half an hour later I had a ham and cheese hot pocket and I just drank a yoo-hoo like 2 minutes ago. I am so stuffed right now I could take such a long nap, lol. I got a notepad file at home that I'm gonna keep track of my dates and weight to see how I do.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Use www.fitday.com. It's free and it really helps.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Mini-hijack alert!

I'm kind of a binge eater. I could pretty much go the whole day without eating (I know it's unhealthy). No hunger or anything but there are a few days where the anxiety kicks in and I could eat a truck load. I'm probably a double fatty cause I don't do anything during the day. I don't normally eat a lot (that could be cause my mom doesn't cook a lot and I don't know how to cook either). I don't have any problems loosing the weight but usually when I start a diet, money issues start popping up or I get all depressive. I'd have no problem going to a gym or something but my apathy level is pretty high these days and I'm self-conscious. Depression FTW! At least I don't gain weight that much. Been the same for around 5yrs or so.

We'll now return you to your normal programming.

"Previously on prison break..." ;D

I suggest going to a dietitian.
    edited May 2006
    Wow the FitDay website is pretty sweet. You can track everything. I have been keeping a log of everything I eat since Monday. Thanks for the suggestion guys.
    edited May 2006
    werd to big bird
    edited May 2006
    Ok so here are my calorie intakes since Monday. Does this seem normal to you guys?

Monday - 2298
    Tuesday - 2264
    Wednesday - 2568
    Thursday - 2843
    And so far today at 4:00 I'm at 1547
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    The upward trend looks promising. What type of exercise are you getting to ensure that you'll be adding muscle and not fat?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Clutch wrote:
    Ok so here are my calorie intakes since Monday. Does this seem normal to you guys?

Monday - 2298
    Tuesday - 2264
    Wednesday - 2568
    Thursday - 2843
    And so far today at 4:00 I'm at 1547

2843 is good. With the other numbers, though, I can see why you were losing weight. Active younger adult males need about 2600 just to maintain healthy weight. Less than that and you'll lose it.
    edited May 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    The upward trend looks promising. What type of exercise are you getting to ensure that you'll be adding muscle and not fat?

hmmm Clutch..exercise..lol

no, but I don't do any exercise at all. That is why I don't know why I can't keep weight, I mean every other American is fat as hell and they don't exercise but I do the same thing and can't get my weight back..wtf?

I guess I'm gonna have to start eating more and more. I will weigh myself and see where Im at.

I'm also drinking Slim Fast every day. I eat around 8:00 breakfast..then at 10:00 I drink a slim fast and a banana. And then around 12-1 I eat lunch. Around 3 I eat some yogurt and then eat when I get home around 6. So that is my new eating routine.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2006
    citrixmeta wrote:
    simple rules for gaining/losing weight.

- eat 6-7 times a day

Eating a lot of times per day keeps the metabolism up. Eating big meals 3 times a day is better to gain weight.
    edited May 2006
    yes thats right, but in his case (since he is an ecto) , he is gonna need to bring in some serious calories, im talking in the 4000 range, if not more.

eating that much in 3 meals is not only hard to do but isnt healthy either.

he really needs to eat 5-6 times a day.

ur doing good clutch, how are you deviding everything? fats/proteins/carbs

keep increasing your calories.
    edited May 2006
    Ok so one week later and I have put on 2 lbs in one week. I think that is pretty good since I have been loosing weight it seems. I will try to keep the calories increasing. citrix, do you mean like what I'm eating and all?
    edited May 2006
    yes, in fitday, u can see a graph of %'s of ur calories.
    how many % are fats/prot/carbs.

and in the preferences, u can even publish your profile for everyone to see.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited May 2006
    Have you not yet tried the gravy? :)
    edited May 2006
    fat around 25%
    Carbs 64%
    Protein 13%
    edited May 2006
    looks good man, keep going and keep it in that area.

the thing is, since your bringing in all this food, i would really encourage you to weight lift, if you wanna stay at your target weight. If you decided to, let me know i can help you with that.

but so far so good, lets give it a few more weeks.
    edited May 2006
    I put in my goal of July 4th to be at 140. It says I have to gain 3.5lbs each week to meet that. I don't see that happening because I'm eating like all the time during the day and I can't see how I can put in any more calories but I'm gonna try.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    i am hyperglycemic and i get pretty bad when i dont eat, or eat the right stuff.
    if youve been getting skinnier and getting sick, it could be something like hyperglycemia or whatever (low blood sugar). i dont know what you should eat to make you gain weight, but i have a sugesstion that helps nutrition wise, and helps manage blood sugar, and in a way can help can weight (but muscle wise)

100% GNC whey protein

i work out a lot and i take whey protein, its helps you get bigger fater while working out because it feeds your muscles the protein it needs. also the protein helps your muscles heal faster.

anyways, its not just for working out, its proven to manage blood sugar and keep it stable

it is also very nutritional FOR PEOPLE WHO DONT EAT ENOUGH OR THE RIGHT STUFF. if you dont get enough protein you can get sick and skinnier

i recomend 100% whey protein by GNC

it comes in a powder mix to mix with water or milk
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2006
    Take it with skim milk, tastes better and adds 8g of protein per cup, not to mention it adds carbohydrates which a lot of whey protein powders skimp on.
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited June 2006
    Hey clutch... Sorry to hear you're not making the LAN this year. I'll miss catching up....

As for advice on your weighty dilemma... I offer this... Continue keeping track of your caloric intake and breakdowns . If increasing your calories doesn't result in an eventual, sustained weight gain than it would probably be a good idea to visit your physician. They can at least start working with you to determine if you weight loss is just normal for you or if it is something more serious. They'd also appreciate seeing your calorie log as it more than likely would be helpful.

Also they probably would want to perform some bloodwork and may have you work with a nutritionist.

Although I'm not an expert or a nutritionist, unexpected weight loss can be triggered by a multitude of different things like stress, depression, disease, etc...

Good luck and hopefully my post doesn't sound too doom & gloom!!!
    edited June 2006
    oCoMiK wrote:
    Hey clutch... Sorry to hear you're not making the LAN this year. I'll miss catching up....

As for advice on your weighty dilemma... I offer this... Continue keeping track of your caloric intake and breakdowns . If increasing your calories doesn't result in an eventual, sustained weight gain than it would probably be a good idea to visit your physician. They can at least start working with you to determine if you weight loss is just normal for you or if it is something more serious. They'd also appreciate seeing your calorie log as it more than likely would be helpful.

Also they probably would want to perform some bloodwork and may have you work with a nutritionist.

Although I'm not an expert or a nutritionist, unexpected weight loss can be triggered by a multitude of different things like stress, depression, disease, etc...

Good luck and hopefully my post doesn't sound too doom & gloom!!!

:rockon::rockon::rockon:
    edited June 2006
    I have been keeping up my eating habits and calorie intakes this week. Seems like this week my calories have jumped up since last week, must be all that pizza I have been eating the past two days, lol. I'm gonna weigh in again at the end of the week on Sunday to see where I'm at. I'm hoping to see another 2 or so pounds on the scale.

So far everything seems to be going good :)
  • edited June 2006
    Aww man. I can tell gaining weight is a lot more fun than loosing it already. ;)
    edited June 2006
    You know what Smj, you are correct. I couldnt imagine going through all this to loose weight. But putting weight on seems like nothing. I guess it is all mental in the end though.
    edited June 2006
    its alot of work man, either trying to lose weight or if your trying to gain weight, if your unhappy with your body type, with work and dedication you can change all that.