Worried about heat

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited June 2006 in Community
I know theres a few people comming with overclocked rigs and my problem is my room is a cool 65 degrees and i dont know how its gunna handle jumping to 85+ degrees. I remember discussion about a optional cooling unit for the tent last year and if the current heat trend continues i think it might be something to look into. if it costs an extra 5-10 bucks i would be willing to dish it out. We'll see how it looks when its within weather forcast range. Just a thought.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I think last year it was deemed unaffordable. Something like double the cost, IIRC. We may have to back down our OCs. :(
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    It is exhorbitant to AC the tent - $2000 + a 24/7 diesel generator in the yard. No go.

I did see a big ass drum fan at home depot yesterday for $159. It was crazy, maybe 36" or even bigger. Something like that on one side of the tent might be a good thing...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Have you seen those cooler-sprinkler pipes with hundreds of almost micro-sized holes? They spray an ultra fine mist that cools the air for quite a sizable radius around them but won't get you wet unless you stand right next to them.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    yah i see, thats too much. fan would be nice. look at a equiptment rental place they might have a industrial fan for cheap. i just hope we get a nice cool weekend.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I think if a few local guys can bring a few fans to put in each corner we could be good. I mean Kmart, Walmart all sell the rotary fans on stands for about $12.99 I think 4 of those would work better... keep the air moving around the entire tent :)

13.00 x 4 = 52.00 plus tax thats sounds better than 159.00 for something that will blow the tent away.
    edited June 2006
    I tired to find the fans I was talking about online, and the best i could find was these. But I know for a fact both Walmart and Kmart or stores liek them all have fans liek the ones below for pretty cheap. I bought 4 of the 12.99 fans for my house, they work like champs....

These are the onyl ones I could find online at there stores...

http://www.kmart.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=156965&Ne=467&pCategoryId=467&Ns=PRODUCT_IMAGE_FLAG%7c%7cPRODUCT_MINPRICE%7c0&N=854&Nty=1&categoryId=854&sfp=051406_HfH_Fans%22&gpCategoryId=466
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4634162
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=03286251000&vertical=HSWR&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I mean I think the most iit should cost is 2.25 per person if they want to stay cool :) or maybe a few guys will be nice enought to bring one :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    I have a 12" table fan which I intend to bring.
    edited June 2006
    Anyone else near buy that can bring a fan or pick one up for $13 I know I would chip in for cooling power in the tent of DOOM!

From the months pre forecasts it looks like somewhere in the 80's for highs, I am going to have to buy a few pairs of Basketball shorts, Cumffy and they let the family breathe :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Every year I bring my mighty micro fan... works great.... for me :D Again, I'll bring it. Oh, don't forget the Corn Starch!!! ;D
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    What heat?! I nearly froze my ass off the last 2 times. ;D
    edited June 2006
    Black Hawk wrote:
    What heat?! I nearly froze my ass off the last 2 times. ;D
    I can truthfully say that the lowest temps I've ever seen on MBM5 came about 4:00am at last years LAN. I tried to beat it this Winter by opening the window (three feet away from the computer), but wimped out after a few minutes.

Weather in the Great Lakes region is a crapshoot. The only thing safe to assume is that it will be interesting. :p
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited June 2006
    this is like a last resort type thing, but its real cheap and reportedly effective

http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/%7Egmilburn/ac/geoff_ac.html
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    What heat?! I nearly froze my ass off the last 2 times.
    BH, last week we had an early warm spell. It got up to about 73-74*F. I didn't break out in a sweat, but was glad when the temperature dropped this week a few degrees.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    this is like a last resort type thing, but its real cheap and reportedly effective

http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/%7Egmilburn/ac/geoff_ac.html

and thats what we're doing
    i have my ehiem pump we should work something out.,
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited June 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Every year I bring my mighty micro fan... works great.... for me :D Again, I'll bring it. Oh, don't forget the Corn Starch!!! ;D

How bout a link so maybe some other folks can pick one up...

BTW what aren't you bringing? Am I going to need to remove ALL of the seats from the van? :D
    edited June 2006
    Here's a link. Or did you want one for the micro fan?
    edited June 2006
    What is with this fascination some people have for corn starch? :wtf:
    edited June 2006
    Try it - you'll like it!
    edited June 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Here's a link. Or did you want one for the micro fan?

That would be the micro fan? My balls are just fine, thx :)

Sweet seeing you folks using one of the original merry pranksters remedies.
    edited June 2006
    Dude it is 99 Degrees here right now.... 74-75 is relaxing beach weather...

Nothing is to cold For Sledgehammer70 :) well maybe some like -temps , I use to go skiing in 18-24 degree weather in a tshirt and snow pants... woot! I love snow! But I hate HEAT! Hate it :) I guess I will pray for comfortable weather.
    edited June 2006
    The micro turo fan... I bought it at OfficeMax during the first LAN. Small and VERY strong.

As for the VAN Seats.... Uh... I figure 4 storage boxes, two PCs, one LCD, A case of t-shirts...
    edited June 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    The micro turo fan... I bought it at OfficeMax during the first LAN. Small and VERY strong.

As for the VAN Seats.... Uh... I figure 4 storage boxes, two PCs, one LCD, A case of t-shirts...

You might want to look to consolidate your storage boxes... Remember I'll need to bring along a few items as well. :)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    If someone can find 800 cubic feet of aluminum; 28,800 2in fans; and 115,200tiny fan screws, we could make a heatsink to mount on top of the tent!
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I have a feeling we will empty the shelves of fans at the nearest Home Depot or something like that. In Celcius, what temps can i expect in the tent?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I'd say at the very maximum it will be 30c

More likely it will be around 27c
    edited June 2006
    We definitely need fans. It's about 23-24 here in the room and i can hardly stand it. 27 ambient without windpuffs is sweating hot. We need to shop when i get there. A few games, assload of fans, beer and i need a good mouse as well.
    edited June 2006
    MackanzOCZ if you want a Logitech G5 I have one that is all yours.... :)
    Also Prime when you chart a route to pick me up at the airport lets make sure to chart around a walmart or target or something like it for a few fans :) The cool thing is most people will leave the fans at primes for next year :) lol! prime will have fans for every room and hall in his casa....

Weather Forcast!

Thur - High 87 - Low 66, Partly Cloudy - Max. Humidity: 59%
    Fri - High 84 - Low 65, with Isolated T-Storms - Max. Humidity: 52%
    Sat - High 78 - Low 63, with Isolated T-Storms - Max. Humidity: 46%
    Sun - High 78 - Low 61, with Isolated T-Storms - Max. Humidity: 47%
    Mon -High 80 - Low 64, Mostly Sunny - Max. Humidity: 52%
    edited June 2006
    A G5 would be wonders if i could borrow or buy from you.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Weather Forcast!

Thur - High 87 - Low 66, Partly Cloudy - Max. Humidity: 59%
    Fri - High 84 - Low 65, with Isolated T-Storms - Max. Humidity: 52%
    Sat - High 78 - Low 63, with Isolated T-Storms - Max. Humidity: 46%
    Sun - High 78 - Low 61, with Isolated T-Storms - Max. Humidity: 47%
    Mon -High 80 - Low 64, Mostly Sunny - Max. Humidity: 52%
    I'm gonna need to bring a winter jacket or something. :eek3:;D
    edited June 2006
    Black Hawk wrote:
    I'm gonna need to bring a winter jacket or something. :eek3:;D