Find a car for primesuspect

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited June 2006
    pfft....focus...my aunt has a focus svt, supposed to be the hopped up version, whatever, ok, maybe it is, but I would hate to see the base model. Its alright in town, but that thing will get killed on the highway. We took it on vacation, and she let me drive because she got tired, and I had so much trouble accelerating, and maintaining speed going up hills, I had to either give it more gas, or sometimes i even had to downshift and give it the go-go juice. The four cylinder in it just had too much trouble keeping up, my dad in my familys olds intrigue was having no problem with the 3800 V6.

Lets just say that I will not ever own a car with a 4 banger in it, nor will I recomend them. Even if the sticker says they have decent horsepower, the torque just isnt there. If you are gonna get groceries in it, then it would be fine, but if you are gonna do comuting, traveling, or you like a little romp when you stomp, then get at least a 3.0 litter V6.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares
    edited June 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    ... Carfax and Consumer reports. No, don't rely on them too heavily, but nevertheless, a couple limited tools are certainly better than just hearsay, emotions, and the seller's good(?) word.

Agreed. When I was looking into the S80 I mentioned, it's Carfax record was clean, but there were an awful lot of service records (for a car that had such low miles). That was a hint to me that I should research the car further :thumbsup:. Carfax and Consumer Reports are the starting points of reserach, not the end.
    ... I had so much trouble accelerating, and maintaining speed going up hills, I had to either give it more gas, or sometimes i even had to downshift and give it the go-go juice. The four cylinder in it just had too much trouble keeping up, my dad in my familys olds intrigue was having no problem with the 3800 V6.

Heh, downshifting really isn't a big deal man. You're not used to it if you drive a bigger engine, but shifting from time to time is a small price to pay for a lighter, more fuel-efficient, and cheaper engine. :thumbsup:
    edited June 2006
    It would be worth it to me to pay an extra 1,000 dollars for say a camry or something equivelant with a v6 in it. Maybe its me not used to driving at 3500 rpms. And for a production car to have the exhuast sound it does, driving at 3500+ rpms for 5 hours straight drove me nuts. I like quiet exhuast's.

Talk softly but carry a big stick.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska
    edited June 2006
    Lets just say that I will not ever own a car with a 4 banger in it
    My father had a Porsche 944S with an inline-4. It had gobs of horsepower, lots of torque, and would also rev high. But then, that was an exception for a four cylinder engine.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan
    edited June 2006
    or sometimes i even had to downshift and give it the go-go juice.
    How do you think automatic tranny's get up those hard hills?
    edited June 2006
    i hate autos, and really, unless its a steep grade, my auto doesnt downshift. it holds steady, might have to rev up 500-700rpms, but nothing very big.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA
    edited June 2006
    Sorry for being out today... OK, I am about 30 miles outside of Detroit right now. I am driving a 2006 v6 Passat. Very roomy, very peppy, and very good mileage. Bad news... it's a loaner. My 2004 VW Jetta TDI. She's going in for her 50K checkup. She's also in for a few minor things. The front suspension is popping when I am stopped and crank the wheel. Most likely due to VERY hard cornering with my SWEET rims and performance tires... :D

The 90's and early 00's VW's had issues. My car has TONS of electronic toys and none of them have problems. The only issue was a sensor that allowed coolant to leak into the exhaust and a failed fuel pump. That's it.... 50,000 miles in 30 months. I drive that turbo like a turbo!!! The new VW's (2006) are way bigger and more toys!!! The biggest problem I have is room. The front is great the back is a bit cramped. I have a great warranty so I've have very little out of pocket. The real cost for parts is very high.

Right now, I have a 72 month loan and the resale value is still higher than what I owe on my VW. Resale is no problem. But again, it's a Diesel.

I would go with a Honda (the one listed above) first, then VW (2003 and later), and Toyota. Mazda next. A BMW would be great but under $10K??? Way to old...
    edited June 2006
    Yeh, those turbo diesels are pretty good on the get up and go.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri
    edited June 2006
    My mother in law has a 2002 Camry with a 4 cyl auto and it has no problem cruising the highway. Great car with no problems.

My son has a Mazda 6s and he loves it!
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2006
    It would be worth it to me to pay an extra 1,000 dollars for say a camry or something equivelant with a v6 in it. Maybe its me not used to driving at 3500 rpms. And for a production car to have the exhuast sound it does, driving at 3500+ rpms for 5 hours straight drove me nuts. I like quiet exhuast's.

Don't hate the I4s. Sure some are underpowered, but I have yet to find any grade that my S2000 couldn't get up in 3rd gear, much less having to down shift because of not having the torque.

And like Gargoyle said, it sure helps to have a slightly more fuel efficient vehicle these days.

~FA
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited June 2006
    I'll throw in a vote for a honda (civic or otherwise). Bought mine at 160,000 miles and it runs like a champ.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell
    edited June 2006

You sure it was an SVT? The SVT has six gears, you shouldn't be driving beyond 3500 on the freeway even.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan
    edited June 2006
    Well I didn't read through this because I'm in kind of a hurry but my one piece of advice is DEAR GOD NO VW JETTA (The newer ones are ok though, overpriced hunks if you ask me still). VW is one of the worst companies for durability BAR NONE. I know 3 or 4 people with Jettas and we are talking like 9 recalls on each and stuff breaks ALL THE TIME. For example 100% of them have had the window fall into the door. I wouldn't touch one of them if it was given to me.

SVT focus is a pretty sweet car, and there is nothing wrong with a regular focus itself. Good car, good durability, good handling etc... But you want a import, stinking yuppie ;)
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan
    edited June 2006
    I had a matrix. I loved it. But I don't think I'm going to find one in my price range.

Ford focus == i hate.

Let me explain. Currently I am driving a 2002 focus. It is my grandmother's, and she's let me borrow it during the day while we look for a car. It has 17,000 miles on it and it feels like it's falling apart. The axles "rattle" for lack of a better term. I'm somewhat experienced with auto mechanical things, and I know enough to know it's not a strut or rattling caliper or something. When you start going over 50mph, the car feels like it's going to lift off the road and it sort of shimmies. I do NOT like the feel of the suspension, and cornering feels really crappy. She already had a major fuel injector problem (failed injectors) and it stalled out on her with only 5,500 miles on it, and it was in the shop for 3 days for "engine repairs". Maybe she just got a lemon, but I think this car sucks and it has turned me off to focii forever :-/

less talky, more linky! :D

Definite lemon. I've had 3 (on my 3rd now) and my buddy has one. No issues at all like that. The Focus is a really good car.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited June 2006
    Okay, 1 down, 1 to go. Tracey bought this 2000 Saab 9-3 turbo today. 67K miles, pretty nice shape.

We didn't pay the price on autotrader. We acted like persian rug merchants at the bazaar. One pound of goat meat and three bales of cotton, etc.

Now it's beemer time for uncle daddy :rarr:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares
    edited June 2006
    Nice-looking car!
    edited June 2006
    Now it's beemer time for uncle daddy :rarr:

Sure...Wanna Pick me up a 3 series while your at it?

Not a bad looking car. Although the wheels seem a bit small, the car seems to overwhelm them, dunno, other than that, I like the looks of it.
    edited June 2006
    Nomad wrote:
    You sure it was an SVT? The SVT has six gears, you shouldn't be driving beyond 3500 on the freeway even.

I was talking at cruising speeds (80+mph) and it was worse while I was going up hill. Like I said, I'm not used to driving four cylinders, their power band is up higher than my v-6's is, and her readline (7,500) is high compared to my 5,800. Maybe its that I'm so used to driving my car that I was afraid the heads would pop off if I took it past 6k.
    edited June 2006
    I was talking at cruising speeds (80+mph) and it was worse while I was going up hill. Like I said, I'm not used to driving four cylinders, their power band is up higher than my v-6's is, and her readline (7,500) is high compared to my 5,800. Maybe its that I'm so used to driving my car that I was afraid the heads would pop off if I took it past 6k.
    GM drivers....
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada
    edited June 2006
    Nice SAAB :) My old dream car was the 9-3 Viggen.

The BMW is nice, but keep in mind that it is a rear-wheel drive. It may take some getting used to in the snow.

I'm a huge Honda fan personally. I'm on my third. I drive a `99 DOHC coupe and it's rock solid with over 211,000KM on it now. Fuel efficiency is fantasic on these I4s.
    edited June 2006
    N7ghtwolf wrote:
    GM drivers....

That focus aint exactly a race car either, and whats the point of taking it to 7,500+ if the powerband is gone? Just to say you can, I can see if the powerband was still there, but like my friend, he drives his civic to 7,000 before he shifts, the powerband is well past gone at 6,000, he just does it to get loud and annoy everyone else.
    lemonlime wrote:
    The BMW is nice, but keep in mind that it is a rear-wheel drive.

Rearwheel drive cars are so much easier to drive than fwd cars. In my mind anyway. I just dont like the feel of fwd cars, but Im stuck drving one, but when I drove in the snow the first time i wasnt liking it, because everything else i've driven before was rwd, and it felt wierd, im used to it now, but I like rwd, i think they corner better and have a better overall feel to them.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC
    edited June 2006
    Love the SAAB! Post some pics when you get a chance.

I was checking the Wikipedia entry on the motor in it and it mentioned that the one you have sometimes fails from oil sludge problems. Since it's dealer maintained and I'd think they'd check for signs, you shouldn't have any issues but it might be something to look into, just to be aware. I don't know much about it.

Now go find yourself a nice BMW.
    edited June 2006
    Don't hate the I4s. Sure some are underpowered, but I have yet to find any grade that my S2000 couldn't get up in 3rd gear, much less having to down shift because of not having the torque.

And like Gargoyle said, it sure helps to have a slightly more fuel efficient vehicle these days.

~FA

yeh, but the engine in your s2000 is a bit more tuned than what they throw in your run of the mill I4 powered car. That S2000 is tuned and meant to be fast. If it wasnt, then it would just be a civic with a nice body.:tongue:
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited June 2006
    I'd go for the bimmer. You will fall in love, I sure did with my E46 :D If you have to replace anything substational, replacement parts are expensive (though that's expected). Also like others said, get a carfax on it just to be safe. Since you will be driving it in snow, you might even want to consider looking for an AWD model (which have an X in the model number).
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA
    edited June 2006
    Just looked at Tracy & Brian's nice Black Saab... SWEET!!! :D Nice car Brian!!! :thumbsup:
    edited June 2006
    Love the SAAB! Post some pics when you get a chance.

I was checking the Wikipedia entry on the motor in it and it mentioned that the one you have sometimes fails from oil sludge problems. Since it's dealer maintained and I'd think they'd check for signs, you shouldn't have any issues but it might be something to look into, just to be aware. I don't know much about it.

Now go find yourself a nice BMW.
    You might just want to run some synthetic oil in it if its prone to sludge problems.
  • edited June 2006
    Let's get an update on the Bimmer!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California
    edited June 2006
    Ghoosdum, Prime is bummed as it got sold to the guys father in law or something like that....
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited June 2006
    yeah the day I was supposed to go test drive it, the guy called me and told me he sold it to his dad :-/

I'm looking at the '99 version of tracey's saab now. It's blue, and it's a convertible (which I'm not too keen on, but I can look past it), but it's still the 2.0l turbo SE that I have grown quickly fond of :D
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited June 2006
    Buying cars ain't easy, nor selling it !
    Super FORD GALAXY GHIA AUTO SILVER MPV

Please, read the comments ...:wink: