Striking a match on your skin?

RWBRWB
edited June 2006 in The Pub
Is this even possible? We see it in the movies all the time, so it MUST BE REAL :D j\k for those of you who think I am serious.... :grumble:

Anyways, if it is possible, what is the technique.... I actually googled for it. As you by now know I am bored out of my mind waiting for someone to come home.:o

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Near Austin but not as weird
    edited June 2006
    If you googled for it and found nothing the next person will have at least one hit to follow. ;) I have done it with my fingernail and a buch of other surfaces including clothing.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited June 2006
    skin, maybe ..not.

The places I can do it are my fingernails, but clotheing works much better. meta l zipers just about always work, anything abrasive will. when I am camping, a rock or metal fire ring always works, concrete works. if you take two matches and strike them head to head, that will work.

Just about all of these methods will only work for strike anywhere matches. Regular matches usually need the striker, but some other abbrasive places will work.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA
    edited June 2006
    There is a part of my cheek that I can use when it's really cold (read: very, very dry skin) but the window of time I can do it in after my last shave is pretty tight, like one hour wide 18 hours after my last shave or so. Not really useful for anything besides dares and then not really. The trick is to puff out your cheeks really hard and then strike it just like you normally would.

Did I mention it burns?

-drasnor :fold:
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell
    edited June 2006
    You need strike-anywhere matches to do it on your skin. You can do it between your fingers, but that's just pops.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA
    edited June 2006
    Nomad wrote:
    You need strike-anywhere matches to do it on your skin.
    Agreed.

-drasnor :fold:
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited June 2006
    I bet you could if you had really callased(sp?) hands.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2006
    So while camping this weekend, I just learned from my friends there's an actual method to lighting those craptastic paper matches. I always pressed my finger against the head, struck, and jerked finger away. This rarely worked. You're supposed to fold over the back of it and press the head between the two. Damn is that easier.

Still, wood matches > all.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited June 2006
    You never knew that? ;D noob.
  • RWBRWB
    edited June 2006
    I bet you could if you had really callased(sp?) hands.

My dad is that way... He's one of the reasons I ask, but he's also a mechanic of 40 years and I've seen him with a ginormous gash in his hand that would have bled me dry and he didn't bleed at all when I saw it.

Ohh well... maybe one day I'll be cool enuf to do it on my chin. Just like on TV :tongue:
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA
    edited June 2006
    since I am in Trim work I have callased knees and I can strike one on my knee
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    edited June 2006
    entropy wrote:
    So while camping this weekend, I just learned from my friends there's an actual method to lighting those craptastic paper matches. I always pressed my finger against the head, struck, and jerked finger away. This rarely worked. You're supposed to fold over the back of it and press the head between the two. Damn is that easier.

Still, wood matches > all.

Actually, most match packages specifically warn against doing this, since it leaves the other matches in the pack exposed to the possibility of getting sparked to life.

However, this is the only way I've ever been able to strike Bar Matches without hurting myself.

I purchace boxes of wooden matches for camping. You can get a box of 2000 matches at the dollar store, so it's not reallt worth it to use bar matches, even though they're free.
  • edited June 2006
    Twitch1106 wrote:
    since I am in Trim work I have callased knees and I can strike one on my knee

"Trim work" eh? Is that what they're calling it these days? :hair:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California
    edited June 2006
    My dad can strike one on his cheek with ruff wiskers. He use to do it all the time when we were kids. about 3 hours after a good shave was the prime time moment my dad says. Just ruff enought to get the matter moving. I will ask to see if he still can do it.... maybe get a video :)
  • RWBRWB
    edited June 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    "Trim work" eh? Is that what they're calling it these days? :hair:

OUCH!:respect: