new lcd, new problems

ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
edited June 2006 in Hardware
i just got me a viewsonic wide screen lcd thats twenty inche wide screen with a native resolution of 1680x1050

but when i plug it up to dvi it has what looks like a wavy effect to it. hooked up to the vga port on the monitor to a dvi adapter to my card looks just fine. its only on the dvi connector which it does it.

its hard to describe what it looks like. but the whole bottom of the screen looks wave or like interferance.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    Does moving the cable around make any difference? It could be an EMI problem (or just a faulty cable to begin with).
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2006
    Oh wow, I'm glad you brought this up. I've got this same problem on my 2005FPW. I didn't know using the VGA made a difference, though! Interesting.

Mine happens to be on the left side, though, and it almost looks like slow-moving ripples going up the screen, right? It only extends about 1" inward, and covers 80% vertical. I've just gotten used to it by now, but I'll be thrilled to find a solution!

Edit: Nifty. I've never switched between VGA and DVI before. Huge difference in color resolution!
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited June 2006
    ive tried dfferent dvi calbes, and it still does it.

its kinda hard to explain what it looks like, but its like waves through and around text.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    Have you gone through the Clear Type Tuning process?
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited June 2006
    yea but no effect, the only way i could get it at 100% is with a VGA cable, with which i have no problem using, its just im not sure why its going what it is, i did notice that the horizontal scan rate was 65Hz and the vertical was 60Hz

also the dell wide screen lcd's have a major banding problem which causes the same effects from what ive been told as well as read, they have new firms ware on the LCD's which tuen off a "feature" that causes this to happen.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2006
    It seems to have something to do with the pixel timings.
    from Dell's website, This monitor has 146.25 MHz pixel clock for analog signal and 119 MHz for digital.

Apparently it's using the 146.25 for the digital (DVI), when it shouldn't be. Haven't found a solution for Windows yet, plenty of fixes for Linux, though.