butt fly

csimoncsimon Acadiana
edited June 2006 in The Pub
Well that's what he calls it anyway ...christopher I mean.

A few months ago I spotted a pretty catapiller (sp?) on a tree leaf. I took it home and Tracie got it a nice cage to live in. I brought home leaves from the tree I found it in every few days so that it could keep alive. Finally a few weeks ago it made a crysallis and went dormant.

Well this afternoon it popped out of its cocoon and I snapped a pic before I led it out of the doorway and flying off high into the sky. It finally disappeared somewhere in the pecan grove out back.

Here is a pic ...my only regret is not taking a series throughout the metamorphysis.

Comments

• MrBillMrBill Missouri
    edited June 2006
    Very cool! I bet Christopher was excited. Butt fly daddy...butt fly. ;D
  • V-PV-P State College, PA
    edited June 2006
    We did that with like 14 caterpillars in 2nd grade I think. It was fun.... I have a question btw, if anyone can answer it. Almost EVERYONE I know except me is arachnaphobic, or afraid of spiders. I don't get that, I mean they look like all other insects with 2 more legs, and these people agree to eat insects for $10 but when they have to look at a spider they freak out....
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2006
    butt flys are bright, colorful, and pretty, spiders are ugly and scary
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana
    edited June 2006
    Yes it was very exciting for christopher. He was familiar with the catapillar and called it the scalapillar. Then I had to explain that he went to sleep and all that and how he woke up with wings!
    edited June 2006
    csimon wrote:
    I had to explain that he went to sleep and all that and how he woke up with wings!

Dont give him/me any ideas.
  • WingaWinga South Africa
    edited June 2006
    I think that is an awsome project to share with a toddler. First hand real life experience is always better than any text book. I'm sure he's never going to forget the concept of metamorphysis.

We always had silkworms as a class project, but I think butterflys are waaay better :)
  • edited June 2006
    Hey, that's cool, Chris. We did something like that with my daughter Lisa when she was little, but our caterpillar turned into a damn moth. :(
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell
    edited June 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    We did that with like 14 caterpillars in 2nd grade I think. It was fun.... I have a question btw, if anyone can answer it. Almost EVERYONE I know except me is arachnaphobic, or afraid of spiders. I don't get that, I mean they look like all other insects with 2 more legs, and these people agree to eat insects for $10 but when they have to look at a spider they freak out....

I'm sure you are one of a kind.
  • edited June 2006
    Nice! I have a giant full color book of butterflies somewhere. I could use it to get the gender and species if you're at all curious. I was really into catapillars and moths/butterflies when I was a kid and I would have loved to see that.

Moths can be cool too! I once found a catapillar when I was about 6 or 7 and brought it home in a jar w/ holes. It was about 7"-8" long and about 3 or 4 inches around (my mom screamed at the top of her lungs when she saw it- my dad got a real kick out of that). I don't have any good pics of it (no digital cameras around back then), but here's a pretty good representation of the one I had:

cecropiacatcanlrg.jpg

Just imagine that 8" long! :P

It's called a "Cecropia moth", and they get very, very large when adults. Here's a pic of its adult forum:

cecropiaRA.JPEG

cecropia.JPEG
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana
    edited June 2006
    I've never seen a catapillar that large before. I did see a moon moth once ...that was the coolest thing ever.
    Yeah if you wanna tell me more about the butt fly be my guest!
    It was about 7"-8" long and about 3 or 4 inches around (my mom screamed at the top of her lungs when she saw it ...

Ya know that's just begging to get taken out of context! LOL
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited June 2006
    i saw that, if prime were to edit it and add "my mom walked in and saw me playing with my caterpillar that was...
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited June 2006
    SCAR wrote:

It's a racial memory from a time before recorded history when Spiders ruled the earth. Deep down inside we know that they'll eventually tire of their arachid machinations and rise up to rule over us once more.

For the record though, any kind of creepy crawly thing freaks me out. No idea why, they just do.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA
    edited June 2006
    Nomad wrote:
    I'm sure you are one of a kind.
    Was that really neccesary? ANd yes I am one of a kind.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2006
    TheSMJ, those things are awesome. We found several smaller ones once. Beautiful things when they emerge.
    edited June 2006
    Yea theyre beautiful when theyre actual butterflys, but when they look like that theyre almost scary
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA
    edited June 2006
    The biggest insect I've ever seen is a witch moth; it had a wingspan about the length of my outspread hand. I found it while I was cleaning a latrine at a Boy Scout camp and thought it was like a bat or bird or something until it took off. I squirted it with the hose and it made the wierdest sound while it batted it's wings to get dry. I don't get creeped out by crawlies easily but that sound was scary.

-drasnor :fold:
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited June 2006
    That thing looks like a Tobacco Worm. We get those on our Tobacco plants here in NC and they are the biggest catapiller you'll ever see. HUGE!