Crappy fps in BF1942

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited September 2003 in Gaming
I get from 15-40 fps just riding around and like 10 when a few tanks show up and a battle begins. I'm running at 1024 x 768 w/ max detail settings. My PC should be enough to play it well and with 4x AA but noooo, something is acting up and it's only with this game. Maybe it's 2K3 or DirectX 9b. I'm using latest patch and DC mod (0.39). PC specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1539mhz (yeah....yeah my board sucks)
ECS K7S5A
512MB PC2100
40 and 2x 80GB HDD's
ATi Radeon 9700 NP (Omega 2.4.74a = modded Catalyst 3.6)
Windows Server 2003 (w/ all updates and patches)

OC'ing the card is a no go since I get artifacts. Don't know if flasing the card's bios would help. I've never tried it.

I'll try w/o DC and see if the game runs well. But I'm only getting the crappy frames with BF1942. So any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Well just tested running plain BF1942 and I gotta better frames. Mostly higher than 60fps but I would think my rig could've gotten higher. Would the cpu be holding me back?

/me needs monies
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2003
    win2k server maybe?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    The OS is holding you back, the CPU is holding you back, and so is the video card.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Server 2003 is not known for its gameplaying ability. People have had games running like crap on 2k3. Ask Shorty about it when he gets back, he has had a good play with 2k3 server.
    edited August 2003
    I also have had a good play with 2k3.

There are too many background tasks that you CANNOT disable, that absorb more cycles than XP or 2K do even when it's not stripped down. Furthermore, the OS simply isn't tuned to run OpenGL or D3D expediently.

It's the Windows NT (Notoriously horrible for gaming) of the XP-ish family. That ain't gonna change.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    But after saying all that, it does what its designed to do. As a server it runs well. I cant think of many server apps that require OpenGL or D3D ;)
    edited August 2003
    Agreed completely! :)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    But it's the only that's running like crap on 2K3. Everything else is running great.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited August 2003
    you know the game turns AA on by default right?
    edited August 2003
    Armogeddon00 said
    you know the game turns AA on by default right?
    2x or 4x? The control panel doesn't really give me an option to turn it off. Don't know if nVidia based card had to turn it off. Only choices I get is application prefrence, 2x, 4x and 8x.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited August 2003
    wel, i know when the game cam out it would turn it on, maybe a patch fixed it? but this is how i turned it off, ( GF ti4200 )
    demo.jpg 149.4K
    edited August 2003
    Well atleast on the Catalyst it has the option for the program to controll it but it can't be turned off. I actually don't think it uses it cause when I enable AA I get like a white edge on the logos when the game starts. Either way the performance still sucks. I guess it's all the bots and I only have a 1600+.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I know, I had the same problem myself with not quite your specs. The trick is to download the v1.45 patch.

I know you've probably done this already (haven't ventured into this forum for a while!) but it solves the problem. The patch is about 60Mb I think.

I played a demo of the new Secret Weapons of WWII demo and it was awesome, so I duly went out and bought the original and as the new addon hadn't been released yet, I just played it straight away. And... it was sh!t slow!!! I downloaded the latest patch though after a bit of thought, and it's great!

Hope that helps if you've not already sorted it!!

~Cyrix

//edit BTW I play the game with every option on full @ 1024x768 and I only have an Athlon XP 1600+, 512Mb RAM, and a Geforce 2 Ultra.
    edited September 2003
    I forgot to respond here but I already found the problem. I don't have enough ram. I had the agp aperture size set to 256mb and the game had less than 256mb to use (I have 512mb). I change it to 128 and the game now has more but still isn't enough. The game now uses almost 400mb but it's more playable. Still gets sluggish in big battles. Doesn't matter what quality settings I use.
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited September 2003
    my system specs are: Athlon XP2700, radeon 9700 pro, asus A7N8X, 120 GB WD SE, XP home, 512 PC2700 RAM

runs perfect, absolutly perfect...no problems whatsoever
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Yeah, like I said I only have a GeForce 2 Ultra, and I have 512Mb Ram, and it runs fine even in big battles.

I suppose you do have the latest patch Blackhawk?

~Cyrix
    edited September 2003
    Yessir. I also have that weapons of wwii but I haven't gotten in a big battle yet.