Running 2 systems with 1 PSU

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited June 2006 in Science & Tech
If you've wondered if it's possible to run two systems with a single power supply unit, then the answer is yes.
We took it further with Intel's Core 2 Duo processors and running them silent with passive heatsinks. Find out more about this Computex Taipei 2006 technology demo at MSI's booth right here.
Source: HardwareZone

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Awesome!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I dont like the passive coolers though. Awesom Idea, sounds like a project if I had some tangible money. I cant wait to be through with college, and get a real job.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2006
    I dont like the passive coolers though.
    Don't worry, you'll come around eventually. Everyone does. It seems to go Bling -> Performance -> Stealth (while also keeping as much performance as possible, and ditching every last ounce of bling).

I'm seriously, seriously considering these new chips.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Yep. I went bling, then balls-to-the-wall air cooling performance, now I'm looking to get as fast as possible while keeping the noise down. That means finding the best CFM/dBa case fans, and strictly using 120mm CPU fans.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2006
    Exactly. Recently I've become obsessed with noise. I just got the Antec P180 case and Seasonic S12 500w PSU. My computer dropped from moderate to quiet, and I haven't done any tweaks on the case/airflow yet.

The reason these chips look so appealing to me is high performance, with what seems like very low temperatures. I need to go passive, or at least a 120mm CPU heatsink (Thermalright Ultra120 or Scythe Ninja possibly, with Yate Loon fans).
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    now I'm looking to get as fast as possible while keeping the noise down
    I need to go passive, or at least a 120mm CPU heatsink (Thermalright Ultra120 or Scythe Ninja possibly, with Yate Loon fans
    I HIGHLY recommend both the Ninja and TT Big Typhoon for both outstanding thermal dissipation and silent/near silent operation. Entropy, even with the case side off I have to put my ear just a few inches away from the Typhoons to hear them. They are that quiet. If the case has good enough airflow, and you aren't overclocking, you probably wouldn't need a heatsink fan at all. No, I'm not exaggerating. The three 820 systems in my signature are all withing a three foot radius of my here in my home office as I'm typing this. It's a low pitched hum, except for one of my northbridge coolers. At these overclocks, active cooling on the northbridges was a must.

Scythe Ninja vs. Thermaltake Typhoon vs. Zalman CNPS 9500