Do you listen to music or do you hear it?

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1
edited June 2006 in The Pub
I hear music and it's a rather bittersweet thing for me. I can listen ("hear" just sounds weird in another form) to a wide range of genres and I can memorize the lyrics, but when the time comes that I have to analyze the song or explain it, I come up with a blank. I just don't process the words. Most of my song choices are based on how I like the sound. Probably the reason why I lean towards Hip-Hop and Reggaeton the most. Love the bass. :rockon:

Anyone else like this?

Comments

• NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell
    edited June 2006
    A lot of music is pretty blank to me, except some particular songs or bands where I identify a lot with what the singer is saying. For example, there are like three Government Mule songs off the top of my head and about a dozen Black Keys songs I can think of where I know exactly what the speaker is talking about.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK
    edited June 2006
    I like tunes, majors, minors... things that really hit the spot.. it's nothing without a good tune. Kinda controls me.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited June 2006
    I listen to music, because I find beauty in the technical elements of the song's production, and beauty in the way it sounds. But I really don't give a good god damn what the artist is trying to say.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK
    edited June 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    I listen to music, because I find beauty in the technical elements of the song's production, and beauty in the way it sounds. But I really don't give a good god damn what the artist is trying to say.

That's why I tend to listen to slightly older tracks. Is it me or do most tracks these days sound... "low quality"? They seem to lack definition.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    I "listen", to the point that it almost becomes an "event", meaning that I don't spend nearly as much time listening to music as I wish I did. The two exceptions are when I'm on the road or working out.
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited June 2006
    I consider music another form of communication on par with written words or spoken conversation. As I listen to more music I find I can only listen to artists that relate to me, either through lyrics, music, or both. I tend more towards the musical message, so unless the lyrics are way out there, I can always focus on the sound. I know and love most of Phish's lyrics, but the music they play transcends the lyrics. The same with Floyd, Zeppelin, and any other artist, I guess, who is playing through their heart, and not their wallet. If the person is a good poet, great, but get that axe out and wail.

It's always interesting how some people play music to fill the silence (i.e. the local pop station in the car) and the others who actually listen to the band/person/group. I tell people how I have 20 Phish albums and 99% of people say "I can't listen to ANYONE for more than 3 songs, let alone 20 albums". I know- because they play music to fill space, not to hear it.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska
    edited June 2006
    I have a hard time just hearing music. I have to listen. That's the main reason why I tend to dislike most pop music - when you listen closely, there's just not much there - thin, childish, or nasal voices, little chord variety, lack of complexity in tones and chromatics. (just my opinion) An impossibility is listening to classical music in the car or on a cheap stereo. Classical music is my favorite, especially symphonic and organ, but I can never sit still long enough to soak it in. Just got too many things going on. In a car I can't concentrate on the complexity; and with a cheap system, so much is lost. Classic rock is accetable for a car, as it's not very complex but has some basics to it that make it compelling.

Again, my experience and opinon only. Country music is OK, as it's primarily melody driven, and the melodies are usually nice, but the accompanying instrumental music is often just more of the same.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan
    edited June 2006
    Thrax wrote:

Thats generally how I've been. Not that I don't give a damn but that I just enjoy the music much more over the lyrics. Every once in awhile I'll pick up on the lyrics but generally I'm just there for the sound.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    edited June 2006
    As a writer myself, lyrics are much more important to me than composition in music (with the exception of non-operetic classical, of course). A song needs to be well composed in order to be enjoyable, but if the lyrics are not meaningfull, then I loose intrest. This makes it impossible for me to listen to Pop or Country music, since the lyrics in those genres tend to be repetetive and stupid, even if the music itself is well composed.

I lean more toward Geek-Rock, and (some) Folk music mostly because the lyrics are usually either more meaningful (like Barenaked Ladies and Smashing Pumpkins) or are a sort of puzzle, that is fun to discect as I listen, and try to discover the hidden purpose of the song, especially in the context of the album. I could listen to They Might Be Giants albums over and over again for hours and hours, just trying to figure out the meaning and purpose behind the lyrics, despite their lack of consistently good musical composition.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2006
    Whenever I hear something new it's always the music I hear first. I play almost exclusively Reggae and it's always the bass line that grabs me first. After I hear it a few times the lyrics start to become more important. If it has a nice bass line and good lyrics it may make onto a bothered mp3 disc for the car, after that I can listen to it hundreds of times (as Shorty could tell you). Good music, IE, Reggae, never fades for me. All my kids know dozens of Reggae tracks by heart and loads of Donovan, my other great love.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2006
    Both. I think what usually happens to me is I hear it, and then my brain kind of acts like a selective filter. For example, with Cloud Cult (which is now easily one of my favorite bands), I just had it playing. Then all the sudden I tuned in, and it was like WOW. All the sudden it just connected, if you know what I mean. I can feel every emotion in every song, even if the lyrics never mention it entirely. It's just... powerful to me.

However! Lyrics aren't always important. Explosions in the Sky and Neil On Impression are some of my favorite post-rock bands. There is no vocal work to be found on any song, yet it's just moving to listen to. Everytime you listen, you hear a new aspect that just blows you away.

Ahhh.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2006
    Thrax wrote:

Pretty much the same here. I may sing along at least to some that I can pick out the wordes but I dont get the meaning behind it all the time.

Some songs I my get the meaning, like recently I have been listening to Hurt by Johnny Cash. If you have seen the movie or know about his life you will know its pretty much his life.