I have dreadlocks :)

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited June 2006 in The Pub
Well after procrastinating for quite some time I finally took the plunge and got my hair dreadlocked :) They've not bedded in properly yet, and some of the ends need to knot up a bit more, but they're getting there:

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec
    edited June 2006
    wow! :D

how is that done anyway? what holds everything 2gether?
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited June 2006
    you get a section of hair, backcomb it until it goes really frizzy and then matt it together.. hair wax helps it hold together at first and then after a few weeks they're solid enough to hold together on their own. They're suprisingly high maintenence at first, since you have to keep rolling them between your palms every so often (that tightens them up) but when they bed in properly they're easy enough to look after :)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares
    edited June 2006
    I've always wondered, do they fall apart if you wash your hair?
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan
    edited June 2006
    You gonna go Brian Fair style on us and grow them out until they reach below your knees?
    edited June 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I've always wondered, do they fall apart if you wash your hair?

Only in the first couple of weeks. After that they're so knotted together you can't get them apart if you try.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited June 2006
    That is a sweet look, mate. Class!

:D
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2006
    so basically after a month or so you'd have to cut them off if you wanted them gone?
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited June 2006
    oh snap!! i toyed with the idea when my hair was shoulder-length, but never went through with it. tell me, do you like them more than just long hair?
    edited June 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    so basically after a month or so you'd have to cut them off if you wanted them gone?

Yup. They get so matted & knotted together you can't pull them apart again.
    oh snap!! i toyed with the idea when my hair was shoulder-length, but never went through with it. tell me, do you like them more than just long hair?

Hmm... well my hair's always been annoyingly curly. If left to its own ends it goes into disney princess style ringlets...which is not a good look. Unless you're a disney princess of course. Anyway, I've never been able to wear my hair down because of that, whereas with dreads I can. So yes, I prefer it but it's purely a personal preference.

edit: Also, you lose between a third and half the length of your hair when it's dreaded. So shoulder length hair would produce dreads 6" or so long.
  • edited June 2006
    deicist wrote:
    Hmm... well my hair's always been annoyingly curly. If left to its own ends it goes into disney princess style ringlets...which is not a good look. Unless you're a disney princess of course.

Haha! This should be an S-M byte!

It's a good look on you, mate.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan
    edited June 2006
    You look kinda like Anders Friden, just not as much hair.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited June 2006
    TIGHT! those are awesome!:D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    Just don't go shooting any sheriffs, or... :vimp: