• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    w00t!! :D
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    i wore my sm-lan 2004 shirt yesterday
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Hey shorty since your Bringing your Cam maybe we can have you record the drawing's :) instead of me bringing a ghetto web Cam :)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I'll also be bringing my new camera (the one I couldn't find right away after I moved) which is primarily a still camera, but I've learned takes really nice MPGs (although the sound quality is crap...)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Shorty, and anyone else that has Video Cameras. I have adobe premiere pro and other DVD/Video Authoring and Editing Equipment/Software. Call it a hobby. But anyway, I've been editing video for school and for fun for about 4 years now. I love doing it, but I havent had anything to do for about 3 or 4 months now.

If anyone that takes video of the la/walk, If you all would put the video on a DVD, and mail it to me and I would make a video/montage 1337 video:vimp:. That would be really awesome, I would do my best to make a kickass lan video, and I would sell a DVD for $1 or $2 a piece, just enough to cover the DVD's and postage. I would also upload a compressed version for everyone to watch if they dont want it on DVD if prime/shorty wants too.

Uncompressed video is really preferred, and if you all would, set the quality on your cameras as high as it will go, or the next notch down, I know it eats up more tape, but it make the video look so much better. This could really be fun.

Let me know what you all think. :D

Shorty:

Is your camera NTSC or PAL? Im not sure how much it will matter, I'm sure I can use them both. Should be fine.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I plan to bring a Canon GL2. I could bring the whole pro setup (ie Canon XL1s, etc), but I think it would be overkill.
    edited June 2006
    Yeh, if anyone wants to send me video I really want to do this, in fact, I am getting my computer ready to do this. defragged the hdd, and all that good stuff.

My MiniDV camer took a crap on itself, so I am without one, otherwise, I would just ask you guys to send me your tapes.

<offtopic>
    Matt, are you looking to sell any of your cameras, I am between a rock and a hardplace trying to find one a decent price. My teacher has I believe an XL1, not sure, may be one of the GL models. Those are awesome cameras, but more than I need. Anyway, let me know or pm me. If you are looking to sell one.
    </offtopic>
    edited June 2006
    I don't own any of them; the college owns them, and I have access to them by virtue of my employment.
    edited June 2006
    ahhh damn...:(
    edited June 2006
    You can pick them up used if you poke around on the 'net. They're not too bad anymore, now that they're not considered top-of-the-line pro-sumer stuff these days.

I don't mean to disappoint you mate, but I was planning to edit together the footage again like I did last year, especially since I'll have all the media and will have been there to evaluate what to include and such. :)
    edited June 2006
    I don't mean to disappoint you mate, but I was planning to edit together the footage again like I did last year, especially since I'll have all the media and will have been there to evaluate what to include and such. :)

Its cool, we can have 2 vids for twice the awesomeness:cheers: And you dont have to be at the event to decide what to include and all that, in fact, Ive found that it helps sometimes, because you are not as partial to the footage. In videography for 4 years, we had a little production team, I spent most of my time on the editor and a little camera work. but we would have a team out working on the project, and a team on the editors and sound room. Because we found, and our teacher told us, that for every minute of well edited video that looks nice, expect 30 minutes to 1 hour of editing. So having 3 people at each task helped us stay ahead, which is what happens with some movies, they edit as they go along, then the final editing is done.

on a side note, in the video, is that prime saying run memtest on the minivan:buck: lol.
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited June 2006
    ill be bringing my cvs hacked cam, it may be low res, but its all i got.
    edited June 2006
    The more the better, I will even set up an ftp for everyone to upload the stills too if theyd be so kind, still's work decently in video, but as always, high quality video is optimum, but 320x240 can still work.

I want to get a lot of "action" shots, and bloopers, and funny stuff. maybe if some one has camtasia, or some other screen capture software, can get some cool video of some gameplay. I am also hoping that the walk will also be a good chance for shots. Too bad I'm not there, well, my I would always be bumming someone's camera to get good shots.

Andy's Big Idea:eek3:

Okay, here is what I would like from anyone interested in a kickass video:

• First, I would like video, the highest quality you are willing to take.
    • Stills are good too, but do make them interesting please, have a have a point of interest will you?
    • When you are taking video, try to get shots from different angles.
    • High, Medium, and Low Shots, you need a variety, or else the video looks blah.
    • Simple things like a door closing, or a shot of someones feet while they are wallking.
    • Try to make your clips >1 minutes, as it is no problem to edit out what I dont like.
    • If you are taking stills, please dont bother to resize them, because I will end up cropping them anyway.

So pretty much, just give me the highest quality, lengthiest shots you are willing to take for me. I think that this will work marveously. The best tip I guess I can give you that I've learned in my short experience is to take shots from places and angles that you dont normally see them from. and if it is interesting it is good. With your cooperation, this will work:bigggrin: I'm hoping for the best.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Hmmm... Sounds like you've been attending the MTV school of filmography.

No offence, but a lot of the things you've described are things that only new 'film-makers' do. It seems nice and cool at the beginning, but you learn eventually to get over those things. Weird angles and shots of people's feet and stuff, may seem interesting and new, but really, it's cliche, and over stylized. A good, experienced editor/director knows that a film with go right with the right audience, and that trying to over-stylize the footage will only annoy the people who would otherwise enjoy the show.

If you decide to make a career in audio/visual production, something that you will learn at the collegiate or professional level is that most films and movies look very similar to each other because that is already the best way to do it, and making odd angles and novel frames is not very innovative.

I'm not trying to offend or chastise you, just giving some advice from someone who has worked in the industry.

As a final note: General Keebler has made our official video in the past, and has done a great job. You offered to make one as well, and I assure you that it is appreciated, but that it is not really necessary. You have offered, and while you will not find anyone (especially me) who will tell you that you cannot make a video, take note that none of the officials of the event have taken you up on your offer.

I know you are enthused by the prospect, and that is a good thing, but one thing that a good filmmaker needs to know is when to back away from a project, even when it's one that really excites you.

Again, please don't take any of this the wrong way. Trust me, I know where you are, and I'm trying to help you out.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Oops! I still haven't watched last year's video... I always notice it at work, and I'm not allowed to install QuickTime Alternative on this PC. :(
    edited June 2006
    CB Droege wrote:
    Hmmm... Sounds like you've been attending the MTV school of filmography.

No offence, but a lot of the things you've described are things that only new 'film-makers' do. It seems nice and cool at the beginning, but you learn eventually to get over those things. Weird angles and shots of people's feet and stuff, may seem interesting and new, but really, it's cliche, and over stylized. A good, experienced editor/director knows that a film with go right with the right audience, and that trying to over-stylize the footage will only annoy the people who would otherwise enjoy the show.

If you decide to make a career in audio/visual production, something that you will learn at the collegiate or professional level is that most films and movies look very similar to each other because that is already the best way to do it, and making odd angles and novel frames is not very innovative.

I'm not trying to offend or chastise you, just giving some advice from someone who has worked in the industry.

As a final note: General Keebler has made our official video in the past, and has done a great job. You offered to make one as well, and I assure you that it is appreciated, but that it is not really necessary. You have offered, and while you will not find anyone (especially me) who will tell you that you cannot make a video, take note that none of the officials of the event have taken you up on your offer.

I know you are enthused by the prospect, and that is a good thing, but one thing that a good filmmaker needs to know is when to back away from a project, even when it's one that really excites you.

Again, please don't take any of this the wrong way. Trust me, I know where you are, and I'm trying to help you out.

Its cool. I know that you dont make the whole video with wierd angled and novelty shots, I just like a few, to look at them and see if they can be worked. I didnt atten the mtv school of videography, I attended the Mr. Schanck school of Videography. He taught me a lot, but mainly, he liked to see where our creative vision went and guided us. He taught us how to shoot various styles of footage and how to get a desired effect. For our semester exam, we had shoot a >30 minute long film, turned out to be pretty good. I dont plan on doing it professionally, I really like it, but not what I want to do for a living. Like I said, just been doing it for only abour 4 or 5 years, somewhere in there. since 7th grade. I really like it as a hobby. My friend works with some of the local bands to make music videos, and I've helped him sometimes when he tired, or just needs two people, but for me its just a hobby, he is serious about it.

But anyway, It's cool, just making an offer if anyone wanted to take it up, im not gonna say that I am not a little disapointed and saddened, but it sucks no matter what to be shot down and out of a project doesnt matter what it is, but I can walk away if thats the general concensus.
  • -tk-tk Detroit, MI USA Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    CB Droege wrote:

He may not be, but I am: If I end up in that f@#%ing video or any others, there will be a hit squad sent out.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    -tk wrote:
    He may not be, but I am: If I end up in that f@#%ing video or any others, there will be a hit squad sent out.
    When you put it like that, you're almost begging someone to do it. :range:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Heck... I hadn't planned on bringing a camera, but NOW.... Oh it's on!!! :D
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    i can hardly wait to see the smlan2006 video, keebs got alot of video footage of the action (when he want sleeping :( )
    edited June 2006
    Hahaha! That's true - I remember having to wake him up several times to get him to film some interesting parts.
    edited June 2006
    omg guys... I was asleep like twice the entire time when "everyone else" was awake :rolleyes:

:p
    edited June 2006
    omg guys... I was asleep like twice the entire time when "everyone else" was awake :rolleyes:

I suppose the other times you were just resting your eyes? :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006

Yeah, Friday & Saturday. :vimp: