XP refuses to see 300GB hard drive

edited June 2006 in Hardware
Hi,

I have put my Maxor 300GB IDE Hard drive I use to store my data onto into my newly built PC running XP SP2

For whatever reason XP refuses to let me access this drive and it doesnt show up under my Computer.

If I right click My computer - Manage - Disk management

I can then see the drive however it is in black for unallocated.

How do I rectify this?

Mickey

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Is this on an S-ATA or P-ATA connection? S-ATA recognition on XP can sometimes be spotty.
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited June 2006
    that means you need to create a partition and format the drive to be able to see and use it, do you have any data on it right now?

also if it's a SATA drive that you have the correct drivers installed for your motherboard and that it's enabled in the bios.
  • edited June 2006
    Hi there,

Its a PATA drive and yes there is data on there I despretly need so cant re format.

As a desperate messure Im thinking of trying to buy a PATA to USB enclosure to try to use it as a huge flash drive. What you think?
  • edited June 2006
    Im having the same problem with a IDE Samsung 200GB drive, i cant access it but its in my Device Manager
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    See if TestDisk can find and repair the existing partitions. It has worked for quite a few of us. :)
  • edited June 2006
    i got mine to work, heres the steps i took:
    1-from the "start menu" i right clicked on "My Computer and chose "manage"
    2-then from the "computer mangement" windown i chose "Storage"
    3-I created a baisc partition then formatted(i slep threw that part) the drive

its working for now
  • edited June 2006
    hi profdlp - will give test disk a go. Must say, im quite nervous about wiping the crutial data off it by accident though

wasupman - cant reformat or partition. Need the data on the disk
  • edited June 2006
    Sorted!!!

Found this cracking utility called GetDataBack

It has copied al data from the lost drive over to my working drive. After this I will reformat the PATA (problem) drive and re transfer back.

The software has set me back 30 quid ish but re the value of the data Id of paid 5 times that!! Worth every penny.

Get it here http://www.runtime.org/

Thanks to all for advice

Mickey
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    Awesome! :D