The Inconvenient Truth...

RWBRWB
edited July 2006 in The Pub
So I watched this by accident today. It was actually pretty good, I wasn't one to completely agree with Global Warming, and I believe some of the statements made were not factual, but even if half that **** was real, then... damn.

Still it proposed some interesting and debatable details on global warming. Even after I realized it was not a preview(after 30 to 40 minutes or so) I stayed to finish it instead of going to watch Nacho Libre, I hate missing the beginning of movies.:D

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA
    edited June 2006
    Haha, did you go into the wrong theater or what?

I think I'll check this movie out, I've heard it's pretty interesting from other places too.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited June 2006
    Globabl Warming is real, and if you are may age, you will see some horrible effects of it before your children do.

This year we learned quite a bit of it in Physics, mainly in off topic discussion that we had so much in that class, but My teacher looked at it quite a bit and the science journals. And it is happening at a much faster rate than anyone realizes. And there is a "tipping point" that once the glaciers go so far, their isnt any turning back, and it will just go faster.

From the predictions, florida will be the size of rhode island, and rhode island, will be, gone. And the climate changes are going to be crazy. And you see, that isnt even the bad part of it. As more and more land is lost to water, guess what happens to the population density, it will go way up, and food sources will decrease. Disease will likely spread rampidly because of general sickness that it will bring, and the increase pop. density will only make it spread like wildfire. A lot of people will die.

I hate to sound like a flag waiver, but this is happening, and it is too late to keep global warming from happening. Their is so much evidence that we have just uncovered in the past year or so. Such as:

The way the earth bulges has changed over the past so many years because of more water being released from the ice caps, and because of centripetal force, it is being thrown to the equater, so instead of that weight being at the poles, it is at the equater. Also, this may be related or not, but the wobble of the earth generally follows a predictable patter, but this year, it jutted off at a sharp 90 degree angle. There is so much evidence if you just look. it is impossible to deny, and instead of trying to prevent global warming, the world needs to pull their heads out of their asses and prepare for the effects of global warming. My parents will probably never see global warming, they may, may not, but scientist have moved their predictions up to we will see the major effects in 20-45 years from now. This is scary if you think about all that will happen..
  • RWBRWB
    edited June 2006
    I can tell you that here in Texas I noticed it at an early age... when I was younger I would freeze in the winter. I recall riding my bike and my knuckles were frozen while riding.... now winters barely get cold. In more recent years it only seems to get cool most of the time and really cold a couple times through winter. As a child in the same area it was FREEZING often, no snow... but there would be plenty of sleet and plenty of reasons to wear warm clothing.

It is definitly getting warmer... and the areas I speak of haven't had much construction since my young years so you can't blame it on the increase of concrete storing heat.

Me and my cousin had a heated debate just now about this... he's the one to initally showed me the preview of this movie a couple months ago. It was a joke to both of us. And yeah I went in the wrong theater and I probably wouldn't have seen it if not for that. Of course he's the "I have to be right all the time" type of guy. He's been online "researching" for the past 2 months now proclaiming he knows it all, but says he doesn't.

Anyways, I don't think it'll be as bad as Airborn put it, not even the movie made it seem quit that bad. I hate scare tactics, it upsets me just knowing both sides are using it. Al Gore used the ocean increase to show how the WTC memorial would be under water, amoungst other things including what the N. Pole would look like. Which was just another ocean. A polar bear drowning becuase it has to swim for miles to find ice. The sadest part being that these were minor effects, polar bears are drowning more frequently becuase of melting ice caps, and the CO2 levels are almost 3 times higher than ever recorded in a 650,000 year period according to measurements taken from the ice from a couple places.

But as I mentioned, I am no scientist so even researching this online would not be useful since there are always two sides to the story.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2006
    Call me full of sh*t, but I still can't fully buy into this.

The Earth goes through cycles continually, why can't this one be one that just happens to be warmer?

Airborn, a 90* tilt? You do realize that the earth's axis kind or rotates like a falling top (hourglass-ish shaped), and that it takes around 26,000 years to do so? I don't think it made a sudden 90* change, unless we're talking about different things.
  • RWBRWB
    edited June 2006
    entropy wrote:
    Call me full of sh*t, but I still can't fully buy into this.

The Earth goes through cycles continually, why can't this one be one that just happens to be warmer?

Airborn, a 90* tilt? You do realize that the earth's axis kind or rotates like a falling top (hourglass-ish shaped), and that it takes around 26,000 years to do so? I don't think it made a sudden 90* change, unless we're talking about different things.

Yeah the 90* tilt threw me off as well, dunno what that's about. But as for the cycles... yeah the earth goes through cycles, but in the past 100 years things like CO2 levels have increased 3 times(if not more) as much as EVER in the 650,000 year period we can measure.
    edited June 2006
    Maybe I explained it badly, notice at the end of the red line how it just juts of very sharply, no one can explain this from what I've read. My physics teacher was the first one to show me this, although it was a different graph.

And what I said, although very possible, was a WCS, but I'm not ruling it out. Because this very well could be a walk in the park, but just what if it isnt? We could just sit here and ignore everything and pretend like it isnt happening, but saddly, that doesnt changer reality.

entropy, I'm sure this is one of earths cylces (that we may have accelerated tenfold), to a point. We just happen to be having to go through it. I have read from a lot of scientific journals that the earths weather system is self correcting. That is, it trys to fix it. And it makes some sense to me. I think that if enough ice melts, throwing off the earths climate, on so many levels. I'm not sure how/if the earth would correct this, but it seems like only one way, to re-freeze the water.

I really dont like the scare tactic movies either, because it is really too late for them. Something is gonna happen, I'm not sure what, and only time will tell, but you can see from so many sources that something is that hasnt hapend for hundreds of thousands, and even millions of years. Take the antarctic ice, just in 10 years, ammount of ice lost is unbelievable.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2006
    If enough fresh water gets into the gulf stream it could stop, it's already slowing down. If it stops most of us could see another ice age. Europe couldn't survive an ice age.
    The changes that are happening have happened before but never at anything like the speed it is now. I think global warming is by far the biggest threat to us all, more and more scientists agree it will become a major problem but the politicians are afraid to make the changes nessacery, profit first, people second as ever. Our children will pay the price for our apathy.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2006
    We need a tin foil hat smiley...
    edited June 2006
    How does a tin foil hat help?
    Even George will have to believe the scientists one day but of course, he'll be out of office by then so won't be bothered.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited June 2006
    I think he's talking about Polar Shift.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited June 2006
    bothered wrote:
    If enough fresh water gets into the gulf stream it could stop, it's already slowing down. If it stops most of us could see another ice age. Europe couldn't survive an ice age.
    The changes that are happening have happened before but never at anything like the speed it is now. I think global warming is by far the biggest threat to us all, more and more scientists agree it will become a major problem but the politicians are afraid to make the changes nessacery, profit first, people second as ever. Our children will pay the price for our apathy.

Someone's been watching to much "The Day After Tomorrow."

:p
    edited June 2006
    No, that is the cold hard truth. the oceans are at the root of the entire planet, they make it work. Scientist even believe the oceans affect the said wobble of the earth that jutted off way off track, and none of thhe scientific models could re create it.

And you are absolutlely correct the politicians could give a damn about global warming unless it was knocking on their door tomorrow. All I know, is that this IS happening, and somepeople you cant convince until it smacking them in the face. Scientist have been recording the temperature increases year to year, and other statistics, and they are going so fast, that these rates have never been seen berfore.
  • 289Mustang289Mustang Husker Nation
    edited June 2006
    There were dire warnings of a new ice age 30 years ago also.....
    edited June 2006
    Yes, but now we have massive ammounts of scientific evidence collected over the past few decades and further back, that this is happening, we are already seing the effects of it. In the 70's the effects werent as bad as they are now. Take for instance where I live. When I was young, we would have snow on the ground for most of the winter. For the past 3 winters, little to no snow has fallen, last winter, no snow fell, in fact, we barely fell below 40 degrees, and we had days IN THE MIDDLE OF DECEMBER AND JANUARY that were upwards of 70 degrees, can you tell me that something has not borked?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    RWB wrote:
    I can tell you that here in Texas I noticed it at an early age...
    And of course, your 20 years of life has been long enough to spot a major trend on a planet billions of years old... :rolleyes:

Weather is unpredictable. Don't believe me? Schedule a picnic. :cool:
    edited June 2006
    jradmin wrote:
    Someone's been watching to much "The Day After Tomorrow."

:p
    Sorry but I don't post 'information' based on fictional movies.
    Do some research. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3266833.stm
    edited June 2006
    The conveyer remained switched off for over 1,000 years during the Younger Dryas period, the most significant shutdown since the last ice age.
    The end of the Younger Dryas has been dated to around 9600 BC...

Those cavemen must have had some wicked SUV's. :range:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska
    edited June 2006
    Those cavemen must have had some wicked SUV's.
    No, it was 60's and 70's type Detroit station wagons and sedans which were even WORSE in fuel mileage than today's SUV's. No one seems to remember that. 8-12 mph for ordinary family cars and pickups was common just 30 years ago. SUV's are efficient compared to what we used to drive, and a whole heck of a lot cleaner running.

Arstechnica has a big debate going on now concerning Global Warming. It's many pages, but well worth reading if you have the time.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan
    edited June 2006
    I'm more afraid of manbearpig....

i'm super cereal.
  • RWBRWB
    edited June 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    And of course, your 20 years of life has been long enough to spot a major trend on a planet billions of years old... :rolleyes:

Weather is unpredictable. Don't believe me? Schedule a picnic. :cool:

Thanks for the unneeded sarcastic remark. Thats 23 years BTW.... HUGE DIFFERENCE! Your 100 years in this planet might as well be my 23 in terms of geological scale.

Joking aside, it's getting unbearably hot in Texas recently and quick and there are many other places on this planet reaching such high levels they are breaking known records and even geologically with their scientific methods and also there are a hell of a lot more cars than 30 to 50 years ago, A LOT MORE CARS, trucks, and SUV's. Alot more poeple as well utilizing more energy needs, and each of which is requiring more energy from our power stations. Energy needs have changed drastically since 30 years ago, and way more so than 50 years ago. I know there used to be some sort of global cooling scare back in the the day.

To be frank I could care less about Global Warming. There is not enough proof.... YET. I am just one of the types who thinks..... BETTER ****ING SAFE THAN SORRY
    edited June 2006
    RWB wrote:
    To be frank I could care less about Global Warming. There is not enough proof.... YET. I am just one of the types who thinks..... BETTER ****ING SAFE THAN SORRY

To late to be safe than sorry. At least for me, their is an abundance of scientific evidence that this going to happen. You can debate this until you are blue in the face, but the evidence is more of a work in progress, as it is happening now.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan
    edited June 2006
    To late to be safe than sorry. At least for me, their is an abundance of scientific evidence that this going to happen. You can debate this until you are blue in the face, but the evidence is more of a work in progress, as it is happening now.
    Don't just tell us, prove it too us.
    edited June 2006
    Like I said, I dont have the ability to prove this 100%, I can give some evidence that sugests that this is happening. I'm sure their are some geologist, meteorologist, and other scientist that would love to sit down with [strike]you[/strike] a news company and seriously talk about it. but it would probably fall on deaf ears.

Not to mention the governent (USA) tries to silence the scientist that they employ. Such as: Every so many years, a group of scientist make a report of the climate, and the state of our ecosystem in general, and what we can do to help preserve it and to keep from ruining it. Well, guess what, they made the report, but it was heavily edited. The scientist were trying to warn congress about global warming, and what we can do, but the editor made global warming sound pathetic and a joke by crossing out a few words and changing a few. Congress only saw the final version. Guess who the editor was? It was a Lobbyist for the Oil Companies that had worked himself into the government, yeh, that sounds fitting. Let the guy that makes money off of Oil edit a report that says to burn less oil..riiiggghht....

In fact, this year I think it was, a former NASA scientist spoke out about global warming, and said that if he would have while employed, he very well wouldnt have a job.
    edited June 2006
    Airborn, you might need another roll of Reynolds... :cool:
    RWB wrote:
    Thanks for the unneeded sarcastic remark. Thats 23 years BTW.... HUGE DIFFERENCE! Your 100 years in this planet might as well be my 23 in terms of geological scale...
    That's the point I was making. It's been scarcely a century since we've had accurate record keeping of temperatures. The only thing that we know for sure is that over the long haul the earth sometimes gets a lot warmer, sometimes a good bit cooler.

Did you know that the polar ice caps on Mars are shrinking? Wouldn't it be more likely that temperature fluctuations both here on earth and on Mars have more to do with the Sun than with man-made activity? (Unless all those probes that crashed into the surface of Mars did something really spectacular that we don't know about - maybe they had Ford engines in them or something.)
    ...To be frank I could care less about Global Warming. There is not enough proof.... YET. I am just one of the types who thinks..... BETTER ****ING SAFE THAN SORRY
    "SAFE" being defined as...?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC
    edited June 2006
    Think of the benefits of global warming. If the sea level rises, the peak of Mt. Everest becomes lower. The lower it is, the less people will die climbing it. Nobody will have to worry about rebuilding the levies in New Orleans because they'll have ocean views in Arkansas. Buy land now while it's cheap. That's the best way to be prepared.
    edited June 2006
    I'm putting the Brooklyn Bridge up on eBay. I hate to part with it, but I figure I'd better cash in before the whole damn thing is completely submerged.

Any takers? :buck:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares
    edited June 2006
    I think the overwhelming weight of evidence shows that the planet is indeed warming, but whether the roots of the warming are anthropogenic, or whether we can do anything to change the warming (whether we're causing it or not), is much harder to determine.

What I'd like to see is research and preparation for what to do if the trend continues. Crop yields will likely decrease in the world's breadbaskets, and there will probably not be a corresponding increase in productive areas that were previously infertile. How will we feed the world's continuously growing population? It would be a crushing blow to undeveloped and some developing nations, and could even cause political instability in developed countries.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited June 2006
    People live on the earth: True.
    People cause pollution: True.
    Pollution creates excess ozone, trapping heat: True.
    The world is warming up: True.

Therefore people are causing the planet to warm up. BZZZZZT.

Logical fallacy. We have no conclusive evidence that this isn't just another cycle -- the world has had over a dozen of them.
    edited June 2006
    Yeh, at this rate, my house in the middle of oklahoma will be beachfront property. lol.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell
    edited June 2006
    I lean toward, due to whatever causes, global warming is an occurence. However, I think as consumers of products on the earth we should be responsible enough to realize all our industry has to have some impact upon the places we live and to try to make things as efficient as possible in the process.