What Good Is A LAN?

2»

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    ...I just need to not eat for a week before coming to the Party next year.;D
    AMEN!!!
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited June 2006
    Let me elaborate on my response. ...

Listen, we're all friends, we all get along in real life, let's just cut this crap out. Q, I feel your pain, I'm sure you got to sit in the truck all the way home with Ocomik and hear him complain. ...

WTF? I not quite sure what the sentence above (bolded) is attempting to convey but my initial reaction is that it's a real low blow.

Brian, when I shook your hand on Sunday, thanked you for your hospitality, hard work and told you "I had a good time", I was being sincere. To assume anything else is a complete mis-characterization.

Q knows where my points of contention lay regarding the weekend and they have just as much to do with him, if not more, than anything else. If he wants to bring 'em up, I have no problem.

Back to my point -

Were my intentions to spend most of my weekend gaming? You bet. Was I disappointed that my gaming expectations were not met? You bet. But I'm not looking for any apologizes. It is what it is and I'll know better next year.

Please understand that I'm not trying to sound like some anti-social a**hole. I really enjoyed meeting up and talking with everybody - and participating where I could.

As I explained to Q, it boils down to opportunity costs. I was willing to expend some vacation time and weekend time away from my family to participate in some serious gaming. Afterall, I don't spend much time gaming or being online these days so I was looking forward to a temporary change of pace. So when my expectations were not met, it made the opportunity costs feel that much greater. It's as simple as that!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    oCoMiK wrote:
    WTF? I not quite sure what the sentence above (bolded) is attempting to convey but my initial reaction is that it's a real low blow.

Brian, when I shook your hand on Sunday, thanked you for your hospitality, hard work and told you "I had a good time", I was being sincere. To assume anything else is a complete mis-characterization.

Don't take that the wrong way. I apologize if it came off wrong. I didn't mean to sound the way it did, and re-reading what I wrote, I can definitely see how you can take that wrong. I'm sorry - it wasn't my intent to come across like that. :(

Mike, you were a seriously stand up guy and you helped out a ton. You spent your own money, and continuously offered to help out whenever I happened to look frazzled and you happened to be standing there. That, to me, says everything about your character.

I mean, you cut my friggin lawn for me :D I certainly couldn't say anything bad about you :)
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited June 2006
    Don't take that the wrong way. ...

No hard feelings - namaste
  • SewerTrooprSewerTroopr Ann Arbor, Michigan
    edited June 2006
    Hi everyone. I had fun last weekend. Sorry that I haven't had time to check this thread earlier. I hope that I didn't give anyone the impression that I had a bad time.

It's true that the BFME2 event that I was waiting for never happened. That's ok. I played Alexander's campaign in RTW instead and had fun. I also played a very close game of Puerto Rico, which was also fun.

I'm 40 years old and I've been playing games for a long time. Competing is fun but the goal is to have a good time. I had a good time last weekend and I think that everyone else did too.

Finally, I would like to thank Brian and his wife. They have always made a special effort to make everyone feel welcome.

-Stan Jelic
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Stan,

I'm glad that you enjoyed the LAN. I feel bad that I barely gat a chance to even say a few words to you. Since I do not know you really well, I misread what I was seeing from you. I remember you asking a few times about Rome and MFME2. I also saw you playing by yourself and took that to mean that you were not getting as much out of the event as you had hoped. I really glad you had a good time. Now I feel better, much better actually. :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    you did this after 8 months of NO PIECE
    :eek:

I really think that's not appropriate for this thread. Sheesh! :range:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    :eek:

I really think that's not appropriate for this thread. Sheesh! :range:
    Oh, dear... ;D;D;D
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Sorry for the long post. Please read it.

I think that the event can be the same LAN party next year, and many years after, and it wouldn't be too difficult to get it to work. I had a great time with my board games, and with hanging out with folks. The event that I helped organize went off well. Here are the three simple things that I think will make this work for gaming and socializing both, in the future:

1. A wake-up call. It could ba an air-horn, a stereo or an oozinator, but there should be something that gets everyone up at 9am, so that the days events can begin. With this many people, nothing will ever get done (except drinking, eating, and socializing) if they are not all on the same sleep schedule.

2. Restriction on 'beers'. I know people like to drink:beer: , but IMO this didn't need to turn into a 'drinking party'. I don't drink much, so I felt a little left out after 10pm (however, that's my problem, and I'm used to it, trust me), so I wouldn't mind a whit if there was no beers at all. However, it may be more realistic to limit the beers to a certsain amount, or to after a certain time of night. 'People drinking beers' was the number one reason that nothing could be organized after night-fall. If you have a bunch of people together for any reason, and you don't put some kind of restriction on the beers intake, drinking will stop all events except for flirting, talking, and more beers drinking.:cheers:

3. Each event should have a designated MC. Brian can't run every event. He's the host, but he's made it clear that the events are up to the guests. The reason that the Engineering challenge went off well, is because I went around for half-an-hour telling people 'If you want to join the event, get to the front porch, right now'... I had to tell most people three or four times, and I'm sure they were annoyed :wave: , but that's the only way that the event happened at all. If each event had a designated person whose job it was to bug people, wake people up, tell them 'no, you can't go to lunch right now', pick them up, and put them in their disignated place :crazy: , whatever it takes to get the event going.

With this many people at a single event it's tough to get people where they are supposed to be.

Here's what happens:
    Someone desides to hold an event, and they try to get everyone together, when no one starts to move right away, the organizer gives up, not wanting to force people to attend the event. What the person doesn't realize is that this is the only way to get anything done. a group that size will do nothing without leadership. That event organizer just needs to remember that if the group is not pushed into doing what was planned then they may be disappoinrted later when they realize that they didn't actually get to do the stuff that they had planned on and signed up for :buck: . That person needs to be a bit of a jerk, a little badgering to get the event going, but in the end, everyone will have fun (again, like the engineering challenge).

I think that these three simple ideas will get the ball rolling next time, and none of them require Brian to do any extra work (unless he considers getting up at nine to be extra work):honoes:

Again: I had a blast. I got to hang out with my friends, play some board-games. We even got to play DS with four players for the first time because Alex showed up with a DS :rockon: (a very good sport, by the way, consitering that he was still excited to be playing after loosing many games).

These three suggestions are just my ideas, from observation, and experience hosting and attending other events. No matter what kind-of party you want to have next year, I'll be there with my laptop, my DS, and my boardgames ;)

I just know that if you guys want to have a succesful LAN party next year, it wont really take too much change. :)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Some decent suggestions, though I would never dare stand between a Swede and his beer :D