Prototype chip: 500Ghz at 5 Kelvin, 350Ghz at ambient

lewicronlewicron Glasgow
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Greetings all.

I came across this article whilst Stumbling the other day. Might be old news to some but it's quite interesting reading, I thought it might be of interest to some of the short-media punters, too.

Big worderup to one and all,
Lewis :)

Comments

• lewicronlewicron Glasgow
    edited July 2006
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2006
    I remember reading this, and also another article on it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they didn't have a chip, per say. I thought it was a single transistor that they managed to get working at these speeds. I imagine it's still just a shimmer on the horizon of imagination for chips at these speeds. Still, it shows just how far we could possibly push silicon at one point.
    edited July 2006
    I'm not sure - it's referred to as a chip in the article. Then again, the article may be innaccurate. In either case the object of the research appears to be exactly what you said - to test the limits of silicon.

I wonder when we can expect to see an Athlon +1000000 hit the shelves, though.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2006
    Even if it's only one transistor, what kind of circuit and componants give it the clock signal?
    edited July 2006
    bothered wrote:
    Even if it's only one transistor, what kind of circuit and componants give it the clock signal?

Actually, entropy was right - i think it is only a transistor. There's a bit more about it on the Georgia Institute of Technology website:

http://www.gatech.edu/news-room/release.php?id=1019