RE: Not being allowed to sell STEAM accounts

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Science & Tech
Valve are on to a real winner there, what better way to make lots of profit than to put a clause in basically saying that no-one can ever sell their accounts. Means no-one can get cheaper second hand games and it means you can't do anything with something you don't want anymore.

Rant over.
Meh, respect-- .

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Couldn't agree more. I wonder if it could withstand a legal challenge.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I thought that someone sold a STEAM account here once? Or did they just put this clause in the EULA?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I thought that someone sold a STEAM account here once? Or did they just put this clause in the EULA?
    We regularly close or dump threads from the DD&TP that attempt to sell Steam accounts. One may have slipped by before we realized it was against the TOS; I don't know.
    edited July 2006
    hmm. I didnt know it was against the TOS, id like to know their reasoning for not allowing it. It almost seems that you should be able to sell what you paid for.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2006
    You can understand why they do it but I agree, if I buy something I think I should own it. Just selling you the licience to play it makes it like you are renting it.
  • edited July 2006
    Reselling software in general is a legal grey area. Its not like selling your old games on disk any more.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    For Sale!

Steam Account with many optional games... I am selling the Downloader for Free and will include the games at regular price. For more info Follow this link... http://www.valvesoftware.com/
  • edited July 2006
    XD, wish I could freaking sell mine. I need to buy a domain soon!
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    i love how u can't do anything with ur WoW acct. I mean NOTHING! can hardly trade high end weapons, cuz its bind on pick up...i mean.. whatever happened to good old 9 pskulls=1SOJ???
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited July 2006
    You could just give someone your sn and password and take a price for it.
    edited July 2006
    Please revert comment and follow the steps here!
  • edited July 2006
    lol, so your saying to sell like that?
    edited July 2006
    Yup... I call it the keep your copy and tell them to buy their own method... It seems to work really good. I mean come on they get to download brand new games discounted at full price.
  • edited July 2006
    Kinda rediculous method for me to get 7.20$ in paypal LOL. Talking about 2 weeks of working for less then free LOL
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    ArenaNET with Guild Wars is the same way. So all of ya with Guild Wars for sale in DDTP....
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    You could just give someone your sn and password and take a price for it.

And then get charged with fraud and IP theft. :thumbsup:
    edited July 2006
    The moral of the story: Dont sell the damn accounts, your stuck with it.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2006
    I sold my Steam account here a while ago. I think it was about $20. Nobody ever questioned it!
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I sold my Steam account here a while ago. I think it was about $20. Nobody ever questioned it!
    We regularly close or dump threads from the DD&TP that attempt to sell Steam accounts. One may have slipped by before we realized it was against the TOS; I don't know.
    edited July 2006
    I realize that. I read it. I'm just sayin - lucky me, I sold one :p
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    That's not something I'd freely admit if I were you...

I'm not quoting your post so that you have a chance to delete it. ;)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Yup... I call it the keep your copy and tell them to buy their own method... It seems to work really good. I mean come on they get to download brand new games discounted at full price.

That's not funny, neither were your previous posts in this thread. I started this thread as a serious issue and being someone with very little cash, schemes like this piss me off quite considerably.
    edited July 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    That's not something I'd freely admit if I were you...

I'm not quoting your post so that you have a chance to delete it. ;)
    I dont see a problem with it... :scratch:
    edited July 2006
    I dont see a problem with it... :scratch:

except for the fact that it is illegal.
    edited July 2006
    Illegal means Prohibited by law. I don't care.. I was just throwing my 2 cents in that I sold one.
    edited July 2006
    How well exactly does a TOS stand up to actual legal reasoning and enforcement? i.e. when was the last time you heard of someone being arrested for breaking a piece of software's TOS? Afaik it's not illegal at all, it just means Steam can cancel the account for you breaking "their" TOS.
    edited July 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Steam can cancel the account for you breaking "their" TOS.

That too. So if I sell you my steam account, and Valve finds out, you might as well bought a paperweight from me, because it is going to be even more useless than that if the cancel it.
    edited July 2006
    Assuming they found out, which, unless the buyer or seller told them, wouldn't happen.
    edited July 2006
    Thank you :thumbsup:

airborn - do you even have a Steam account?
    edited July 2006
    no, im just saying what could happen considering wcs, im not one to tell people you cant do it, I just say that it might not be a wise thing to do because 'this' might happen. If you want to sell you steam account, then by all mean sell away. I dont even really game a whole lot, not enough time. I mainly play D2, Starcraft, Tribes 2 Classic, and Oblivion.