Prey Demo

MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
edited August 2006 in Gaming
Has anyone else here played the Prey demo?

I've had my eye on this game for quite some time, and I'm glad the demo finally came. It's truly awesome. I recommend it to anyone with a broadband connection (it's ~450 megs). :thumbsup:

EDIT: forgot the link - HERE.

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2006
    Looks interesting, downloading, 2 hours to play time.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Well I'll be damned. This game has a Platinum rating in WINE. I guess I'll try it out.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited June 2006
    I was just coming in here to start a thread about this.

After playing the demo all I can say is wow... if the full game is as exciting as the demo I think this could be a HL2 beater.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    WOW, Pretty good size.. 30 min DL.
    Gonna load it today and try it out.
    Previews of it look interesting.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2006
    Good to see they are putting the DOOM3 engine to good use. I saw a trailer for it a while back and it looks pretty awesome. Going to grab the demo now :)
    edited June 2006
    Played a good chunk of the demo, it is excellent, definately on my list.
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited June 2006
    If you purchase PCGAMER, you can go buy the newest one (August 2006) and the prey demo comes on that also. Saved me a 40 minute download :)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Just completed the Demo (under Linux no less, kudos for making an easily cross platform runnable game) and it seemed interesting (the story) but I can't say I'm a fan of the Doom 3 engine. The space ship interiors always seem to similar. I did like the Blue Oyster Cult song that started playing at the start and the concept that you can't die is interesting too....
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited June 2006
    OMG I cant wait for this game to come out. Played the demo yesterday and I cant get enough of it!
    edited June 2006
    I think the gravity effects that make the single player game such fun may harm the multiprey (sic) game. It works great in the single but the screen flips around too much for me in multi. I would buy it just for the single game anyway.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I'm enjoying the demo - i must say the PC version is way better than the 360 version. I'll never understand how on earth people can play FPS games on consoles.

The built in Logitech G15 support totally surprised me. It makes me keyboard all pretty like!

I am totally stuck in a room though. It's close to the beginning, called "wall walking" - the part where a crate rolls over and one of those little monsters comes out - i walk into the crate and then I'm stuck in a little room with a door that won't open, an alien handscanner thing that does nothing, and a pedestal with a glass case and a sphere thing inside. I've tried everything I can think of, and nothing does anything. I'm just stuck there.. Help!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2006
    I'm enjoying the demo - i must say the PC version is way better than the 360 version. I'll never understand how on earth people can play FPS games on consoles.

The built in Logitech G15 support totally surprised me. It makes me keyboard all pretty like!

I am totally stuck in a room though. It's close to the beginning, called "wall walking" - the part where a crate rolls over and one of those little monsters comes out - i walk into the crate and then I'm stuck in a little room with a door that won't open, an alien handscanner thing that does nothing, and a pedestal with a glass case and a sphere thing inside. I've tried everything I can think of, and nothing does anything. I'm just stuck there.. Help!

Ahh, that is a cool part :) Go to the side of the room opposite the sphere. You'll see two crates on their sides. They are actually portals that you can enter. What happens next is pretty cool--I wont spoil it for you.
    edited July 2006
    I tried that! I can't enter them :-/
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited July 2006
    Maybe one of your sons can figure it out ;);D

I had trouble in some spots too. It almost made me sick at some points flipping all over the walls :Pwned:
    edited July 2006
    I figured it out. There must be a graphic glitch with my card or driver. I found out by playing it on my 360 - and seeing that, hey, those crates - you can see what's on the other side of them! On my computer, they are just solid black squares, so I never tried walking into them. When I push up against the black square, suddenly the other side becomes visible.

glitch! lag! bad map! crappy team! :p
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited July 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Ahh, that is a cool part :) Go to the side of the room opposite the sphere. You'll see two crates on their sides. They are actually portals that you can enter. What happens next is pretty cool--I wont spoil it for you.

I know exactly what your talking about, and I too thought that part was very cool!! Very innovative use of portals!
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    The "soul walking" feature is pretty neat as well. I just got the full game. Stunning piece i must say. They have turned the engine into a lot more efficient engine now. The only thing i really miss is native support for widescreens. I hate being limited to 1600X1200 when i know the rig can do more. Stretched out 1600X1200 doesn't do a widescreen any justice. It still looks mint though.
    edited July 2006
    I just finished the full game, some really cool bits in there. It gets a little repetitive at times, but still a fun blast while it lasts.
    Watch past the end credits for the sequel setup ;)

There's some bits that had me scratching my head occasionally, and a couple of sections that really had me twisting my brain round trying to figure out what to do....but a bit of logical thought and 3D thinking will get you through :)
    edited July 2006
    Finished the full game?
    How long is it? I thought it wasn't out in the UK till the 14th?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    It's been out for "evaluation" for a good 2 weeks now.
    edited July 2006
    And if you know someone who works in a games shop you can call in a favour ;)
    edited July 2006
    So how many hours of play did you get?
    edited July 2006
    Um... I'd say 6 to 8 if you play through it solidly and don't spend time gawping at all the cool stuff. Longer if, like me, you take time out to mess with the fun stuff.
    edited July 2006
    How dissapointing.It seems to br going that the better a game looks the less game time you get, apart from oblivion which will play for years!
  • edited July 2006
    Mack, you very well can play the game at custom resolutions, you just need to edit the preyconfig.cfg file to do it.

Add this anywhere in the config file:

seta r_customHeight "1050"
    seta r_customWidth "1680"
    seta r_mode "-1"
    seta r_aspectRatio "2"

And your game will then load up at 1680x1050 with an aspect ratio of 16:10. :)
    edited July 2006
    Depends how much it's going cost, if it's £30 or so I'd say it's worth it. compared to other entertainment that's fairly good cost per hour. you'd be lucky to get 8 hours of quality cinema for £30, or songs you could listen to for 8 hours for that much.... and it's 8 hours of quality gaming. There's a couple of points where it gets a little repetative as I said but the vast majority of the time you're thinking 'whoa'.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2006
    So I just did the rotating cube thing. Holy wow, that was genius. Took me quite awhile to notice that something was moving.
    edited July 2006
    entropy wrote:
    So I just did the rotating cube thing. Holy wow, that was genius. Took me quite awhile to notice that something was moving.

Yeah, that one had me stumped for a while. There's a few sections in the game that will have you scratching your head for 20 minutes or so until something suddenly clicks and you realise what you need to do :)

Also, the bit when you're walking down a really dark corridor and Tommy says 'Damn it's dark in here, I'm doomed. Ha!
  • morfeumorfeu Lisbon, Portugal
    edited July 2006
    Just finished the demo, great game, im gonna buy it! :)
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Anyone have an issue of the screen going black with just the mouse pointer visible after exiting the game? Both the demo and the full version. I have to hard reset to get anywhere.