Wii May Get Early Launch

WingaWinga MrSouth Africa Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Science & Tech
Nintendo might be on store shelves considerably earlier than many were expecting, perhaps by a month or more.

Although Nintendo has made no formal announcements, industry observers and insiders expect the system to be available in October, with late September a remote possibility.
Early manufacturing will certainly help Nintendo in meeting consumer demand. New console launches traditionally sell out fast. Manufacturing problems were Microsoft's downfall in not being able to meet worldwide demand, as is expected of the PlayStation 3. Nintendo, like Sony, has given indications that it expects to ship 6 million units by March 2007.

With likely price points at $199 or $249, price remains the key focus, which Nintendo has said is its primary target this generation. The Wii breaks many of the video game industry's traditional rules for a "next generation" console. Graphics shown to media are not dramatically better than those found on GameCube games. The system will not support high definition video, unlike its competitors. Nintendo has also vowed to keep game prices lower than the $60 price tag for many Xbox 360 games (a price that's expected to be mirrored for many PS3 titles).

Source: CNN Money

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Woot!

err I mean Wii!!!

It doesn't get old folks ;)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I really don't believe any "speculative" news articles I read anymore (if I even bother reading them) as they are either wrong or conflicting. I.e. this one says about how the game prices will mirror the low PS3 ones, where as an article the other day said about how the PS3 game prices are going to be very very high.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited July 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    I really don't believe any "speculative" news articles I read anymore (if I even bother reading them) as they are either wrong or conflicting. I.e. this one says about how the game prices will mirror the low PS3 ones, where as an article the other day said about how the PS3 game prices are going to be very very high.

dude, the article is saying that the PS3 game prices are going to mirror the 360 game prices.. lol
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Aaaaaaah >.<
    Balls.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited July 2006
    Can't come soon enough imo, but I'll believe this when I see it.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    i cant wait! then ill get a game cube for dirt cheap!
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited July 2006
    Twitch1106 wrote:
    i cant wait! then ill get a game cube for dirt cheap!
    You could buy one new for 100 bucks now, or wait for the Wii with its backwards compatibility. Either way it's dirt cheap.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2006
    So excited.

Oh man.