My Speakers Are Poping

edited July 2006 in Hardware
:doh:
hello, my name is scott and i have a problem
just a few days ago my speakers began to start poping every 1 MINUTE (pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop (1 minute)pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop (1 minute)) you get the idea, any way i have a wireless card and when the speakers pop, the light on the card blinks, now is that is not enough information, just responed and i will tell ou what i can, any please help me
yours scottiedont

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    *sigh*

What speakers, what wireless card, do they still do it when you're computer or wireless card are turned off, are the speakers wireless? etc etc.
  • edited July 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    *sigh*

What speakers, what wireless card, do they still do it when you're computer or wireless card are turned off, are the speakers wireless? etc etc.

my speakers are built into my laptop, i have a Belkin 802.11g wireless card 2.4ghz 54mbps, my speakers work fine when my wireless card is unpluged. and they work good when the wireless card is pluged in, the fact is i have a loud beeping/poping sound when my card is pluged.
    i hope this was of more use to use, thank you
    yours scott
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited July 2006
    Sounds like the amp on the speakers / soundcard is picking up interference from your wireless card. Are the speakers powered? If so try moving them away from your PC since the Amp is in the speakers. If not, try moving your wireless card to another slot in your PC, that may be enough to to get it away from the Soundcards Amp. If that doesn't work your only real choice is to try and isolate the wireless card somehow. A sheet of tin foil wrapped in insulation tape placed in between the card and the amp might be enough to do the trick.

Edit: Welcome to Short-Media by the way :)

edit again: Sorry, I just noticed you have a laptop, not a desktop system so my advice is pretty stupid. Have you tried external speakers? if it's the actual speakers that are picking up the interference rather than your soundcard some decent, sheilded speakers should do the trick.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Yes, deicist has the right idea. A wireless card uses radio frequencies, and that can interfere with speakers that are not well shielded.

The only real solution to this issue is to replace the speakers with better shielded ones. Unfortunatly, laptop speakers are proprietary, and cannot be replaced, except from a scrapped laptop of the same model.

As deicist suggested, try some external speakers or headset. Hopefully you can find some that are portable enough to keep with the laptop. :)
  • edited July 2006
    well you would think that would work but even when i use external speakers i still get the beep/poping sound coming through them
  • edited July 2006
    oh also the sound stops when i press mute, but that doesn't help as i need sound
    edited July 2006
    Sounds like it's the actual sound card that's picking up interference then... in which case you're kind of SOL. Is the wireless card an external USB one or one that's built into the laptop? If it's the former you could try hanging it off a UISB extension cable, that might get it far enough away form the laptop to stop the interference.
  • edited July 2006
    my wireless card uses a PCI slot, hope that helps
    edited July 2006
    That makes no sense, Laptop's dont have PCI slots.

Scott: Please don't start randomly PMing people with a copy and paste from this thread, if people want to help they will post here.
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited July 2006
    my wireless card uses a PCI slot, hope that helps

Is there a store nearby that you can get a cheap USB wireless card from and that has a good return policy? Or maybe a friend can loan you one? Either way it sounds like your Wireless card is reporting to your speakers somewhere internally, there is really no fix except either calling the maker or maybe getting a USB wireless card.
    Enverex wrote:
    That makes no sense, Laptop's dont have PCI slots.

Sure they do, the expansion slots that you can plug w/e into. p111_wlan_sunset_ripples.jpg
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited July 2006
    I had that problem with myl desktop pc and it was my cell phone. I dont know if that would do that on your laptop though.
    edited July 2006
    Sure they do, the expansion slots that you can plug w/e into. p111_wlan_sunset_ripples.jpg

Erm, that is a PCI card that lets you use PCMCIA cards in a normal PC. Nothing to do with a laptop.

You're probably thinking of Mini-PCI (which isn't PCI).
    edited July 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Erm, that is a PCI card that lets you use PCMCIA cards in a normal PC. Nothing to do with a laptop.

You're probably thinking of Mini-PCI (which isn't PCI).

No, I think he's thinking of PCMCIA and getting it confused with PCI.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Yeh, my speakers do that too, but only when I receive or send a text message on my cellphone, it is just interference, I kind of like it, because I can know when I am gonna get a text upto 20 seconds in advance, It is just the subwoofer that goes "beep beep beep beep" I dont mind it, I havent notice my router causing any interference, like I said, not a big deal to me.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    The worst was when I was living on Campus at NKU. The apartment building was so close to the WNKU radio tower, that all unshielded speakers in the entire building picked up the radio station at all times.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I remeber the days when AM radio stations were allowed 50,000 NET Watts of power. You could listen by sitting next to anything metal if you were near the towers.

I suggest that you try a USB device in place of your PCMCIA card. My notebook has USB ports both in front and back. Maybe you can find a location that spares your sound.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    I remeber the days when AM radio stations were allowed 50,000 NET Watts of power. You could listen by sitting next to anything metal if you were near the towers.

Haha, awesome.

And yeah, my cellphone interferes with my speakers as well, and they're shielded quite well (Logitech Z-5500s). Not sure why it does that, but it makes them buzz in the bass end of things.