Guitar thru PC

GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
edited August 2006 in The Pub
Hi all,

I was wondering- If I buy an electric guitar, can I plug it right into my PC or do I need some sort of Pre-amp?

Comments

• edited July 2006
    Look around for a Rockman. It's a stereo headphone amp for guitar and you can take the headphone output from the Rockman and run it into your PC's aux input.

The Rockman has some effects built into it (it was designed by one of the guys from Boston and was actually insturmental in their second album) such as distortion, chorus and compression. It'd be much better at matching the output of your axe to the input level needed by your soundcard.
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited July 2006
    I believe you need some sort of pre-amp, I used to Guitar -> effects petal -> PC
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited July 2006
    Thanks. I'm starting to save ASAP... Just wondered what I would have to buy first...
  • edited July 2006
    Try eBay. The Rockman has been around for 20 years easily, you should be able to find a used one with no problems.
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited August 2006
    Right on- never knew this stuff existed! Thanks all.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares
    edited August 2006
    Guyute, if you get one, that'd be an awesome opportunity to write a review for Short-Media! I've been wondering how well these worked for awhile.
    lightnin wrote:

I've been thinking about getting that one for awhile. I could rock out at work, or make my laptop my amp :D
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC
    edited August 2006
    http://www.line6.com/products/computerbased/

Check out the Line6 products too. I haven't used them but I'm told they're good. The software they come with looks like it's pretty awesome.
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited August 2006
    Hey Gargoyle,

Great idea- I will as soon as I get the gear. The plan is to save some from each pay for the next few months, then snap up a used guitar that someone is dumping (did it once several years ago and got a steal on a brand-spanking-new Yamaha, but sold it when I moved- DOH!). Then the effects/output then an amp.

Nice link, Buddy- I have already used a ZOOM but these Line 6 look great, too...I will check them out.
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited August 2006
    Update: Called the local music store (Musicstop)- Dude was very helpful, and had used a Line 6 Guitarshop before. He is actually a tech, and only needed to know how this machine ran through his PC and he was smashed by it- He said you can save all of your presets ON YOUR PC, so instead of monkeying with your dials, knobs, sliders and jacks you plug your axe into the PC and mouse-click to get the sound you want! He did say that ZOOM still make a respectable product, but he had no experience with them, and the guitar salesmen were too busy to chat...and all of this cost the last guy who bought one only $159 CDN- that is less than the cost of 2 pedals!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited August 2006
    I've thought about getting a guitar, they look like a lot of fun, but I would probably be better off with a bass, less strings to worry aboot:D
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited August 2006
    They sell gizmos to run basses thru your PC, too...
  • edited August 2006
    I use something called Jamlab, which hooks my guitar up to my compy and lets me screw around with fx. It works pretty well, and comes with some drum tracks to play along with.