Well i feel slightly clever

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Well, my thermaltake smart fan 2 was upsetting me because of it was much too loud. However, i Needed this crucial fan in my case because i needed 150cfm intake, and i do not have room in the front for anything more than a 120mm fan..at any rate....I noticed that some of my enermax fans go at 64cfm, so i could add that to the front to make up for the smartfan and save liek 10 db's... BUT this was only possible if the fans were going 2800rpm
I looked in bios, the fans were only at 2600 rpm
I then decided to splice up the wires, put them into one of those 3V molex splitter and when i tested them out... they were going 2900 and 3000 rpms... so needless to say...it all worked out..and my comp is no longer at 45 dBa :)

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    What's a 3V molex splitter? Or what voltage were they on to start with?
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    well the splitter is whatever comes with the comp.... you know liek one of these
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812183147
    and i am assuming the voltage starts at 3.3V so im guessing since im feeding it right to the splitter, there is less resistance therefore the higher performance... i also had the idea to use one of those 12v inverters that come with ccfl lights....cuz id figure it would go ridiciliously fast..but alas...it didnt work, and i switched the wires and nothing...but ohwell
    does anyone know why it might have not worked?
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Voltage on those molexes are 12V and 5V, so I guess you bumped it up to 5 from 3.3 for the speed boost. Cool, hope it doesn't break.
    edited July 2006
    well they are old anyways...like seriously 2-3 years old...and the ran is pointing outside the comp..so worse comes to worse, ill have a hole in my wall and not my mobo
    edited July 2006
    figure i give you guys a lil taste of what will eventually come out of this current mod job that i am undertaking
    edited July 2006
    remember...this came from this...
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Hey Wugs,
    Is that a TT XaserII case?
    One of my boxes is very similar-- TT XaserIII- http://coolbidnow.stores.yahoo.net/thhixaiiiv1s2.html
    Seems you have more window though. Nice.
    Cool that you got the dBa's down.
    I'm always looking to queit down my systems too.
    When your in a 10x12 room with 4pc's,an air cleaner (I smoke)and a box fan to move the air it gets real bad on the ears!
    edited July 2006
    ahah seems like my specs too i smoke as well.... and the rig is made from a chieftex dragon case...VERY old school...it was what start4ed the alienware case way back when... but personally i would never gert it again...not enough room...but i cant wait to mod my addtronics server case..now thats a beaut
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Oh, OK, I thought that looked familiar.
    I have the full tower version chieftec in black w/window.
    It's one of 2 pc's I have in the livingroom.
    I prefer the full towers for the space.
    edited July 2006
    yea so do i...but this one was like 50 bucks 3 years ago cuz i got it from newegg refurb when i was going folding comp happy...ask any of the older members they probably remember...especially quinton...
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2006
    My game rig is in a highly modded chieftec full tower =) I love the thing, it has plenty of room for air.