Need Help - Best Laptop under $700?

edited August 2006 in Hardware
I need to buy a laptop, preferably under $700 or right around there. Any suggestion on what to buy would be greatly appreciated. I am NOT buying a Dell. Have been looking at HP and a couple others in the sales flyers. What do you recommend? And any feedback on the difference between the processors and what is better. I am trying to find time to research them, but short on time. There is the AMD ones vs. the Intel ones. Which is better? I mostly do email and just surfing the web. Don't play alot of games,so don't really need a gaming one. Any feed back anyone can give would be great!! As to which brand, or model number, company, etc. Also if there is any special deals you know of, or even ones NOT to buy. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    ones NOT to buy
    Gateway.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    GATEWAY IS TERRIBLEEE!!!!! my mom has had like 3 mobos put in within years...terrible just frigign terrible..but i do suggest dell..the new ones that have 13 inch monitors are really portable and can be afordable... my girlfriend's family is a vaio family,...but i think they cost too much
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I think your best compromise of quality for a modest cost will come from Dell or HP.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Toshiba's are pretty bad, too. When I was working at the help desk at my college the past few years (with Keebs :)) we had TONS of Toshiba's come in that were just screwy in all sorts of ways...
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    At least the Toshibas can be sorted out. I have had great luck with Toshiba Satalites.
    I would stay away from the Gateway and Sony. The Sonys work great, but everything is propriatary and unique.

Given a choice get an Intel Core CPU. At your price point you will probably be looking at Pentium M.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2006
    We have some Viao's here at work, and let me tell you those things are like a Hollywood Hooker...to little bang for to much buck.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Our school uses toshiba satelites, and afaik, there hasnt been a major problem with them yet, they seem to be pretty rugged laptops to me. I would avoid gateway like the plague. Acer used to be a pretty good laptop at a reasonable price, not sure now, but you might check into it.