The CRT monitor is dying!!

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Well I have noticed a significant decrease in CRT monitors on newegg. I don't understand what the deal with that is. LCDs aren't that good that they would ditch there CRTs. Why would you want an LCD anyway as compared to a CRT. I am disgruntled.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    LCDs have come down significantly in price as compared to two and three years ago. The color fidelity and speed has improved greatly. Personally, I would have stayed with CRTs longer, but the eye strain was really bothering me. In that respect, LCDs are far superior. Another reason CRTs are loosing popularity is because they are space hogs.
  • edited August 2006
    Can't really blame Newegg for wanting to limit their supply of CRTs. They're a PITA to ship.

I can't say LCDs are 100% perfect replacments for CRTs yet, but in light of the improvments in the technology made in the past couple years, I'd say in 5 or less CRTs will be entirely obsolete.
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited August 2006
    After replacing my 80lb 21" Sony G520P CRT with a Dell 2001FP 20.1" LCD about 1.5 years ago, all I can say is GOOD RIDDANCE CRT's! :thumbsup: I wouldn't buy one if you paid me! In fact, I shudder at the thought of using one ever again. Horrible horrible contraptions! The sooner they die, the better!

For simple everyday computing & gaming LCD's are far superior to CRT's IMO.

21" CRT @ 1600x1200
    - Space heater
    - Wreaked havoc on my eyes (a lot of eye strain due to the refresh rate)
    - 80lbs
    - Huge waste of desk space
    - Lots of glare from ceiling lights even with "anti-glare" coating

20.1" LCD @ 1600x1200
    - Doesn't act as a space heater
    - Huge reduction in eye strain, virtually non-existant now
    - 17lbs
    - Very thin/compact, regained my desk space
    - Very clear/crisp display
    - No glare from lights
  • edited August 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    LCDs have come down significantly in price as compared to two and three years ago. The color fidelity and speed has improved greatly. Personally, I would have stayed with CRTs longer, but the eye strain was really bothering me. In that respect, LCDs are far superior. Another reason CRTs are loosing popularity is because they are space hogs.

Yeah, I have to agree...LCD's screw with my eyes way more than CRT's do...oh, wait...that's not what you meant by superior!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    LCD's seem better on the eyes IMHO, except when I had dry eye or whatever it was I had that just freakin bothered the hell outta my eyes when I was outside or looking at the computer screen.

But oddly the Dell screens didn't bother me as much as my Laptop Glossy screen did.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I recently made the transition and am still getting used to it. But I can't see any place where my old trinitron of 6 years was that much better. One of the reasons I switched other than just reay for a new screen was my aging eyes. I do like the 18 lbs as opposed to 80+ lbs for and equivilent size as well as the extra real estate gained on top of my desk. I don't think I would have been interested 2 years ago but now with some homework it was realatively easy to find a good LCD for a decent price.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I'm using a first generation lcd made by envision, and it is really a pretty crappy lcd panel, but you couldn't pay me to use a crt instead of it. I'm surprised crt's are still around, the only thing I might see a point in using them is for graphic design work, but honestly, color representation is getting much better.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited August 2006
    When my old crt died it would make a buzzing noise if the resolution was higher than 1280x1024. It was so damn annoying so I went out and bought a samsung lcd.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    love my samsung 191t....its rounding about the 3 year mark and its still pretty damn sweet...but when it gets to like 6 yrs i think its time for a replacememnt..that and lcds will be super cheap by then
  • edited August 2006
    Actually, I'm wondering if my very own crt monitor is dying...
    Has anyone experienced this:
    Every couple minutes or so my the display will increase by 3 or 4 pixels on each side for a fraction of a second, before reverting back to it's original state.... it's kind of like its flickering, but it never loses the image. It's a Compaq p1220 from 2002.
    Is it dying, or is there something I can fiddle with?
    Thanks,
    John
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    My ode in favor of CRTs

I am willing to give up a bit of desk space. I don't use the back of my desk anyways.
    I never move them. OK, but it is only once every few years.
    The advantages of a CRT:
    Refresh rate, resolution, contrast, color depth, adjustability (resolution and color).

If you are like me and you are not ready to move on, buy used.
    http://www.azatek.com/index.asp
    I have two Mitsubishi 22" CRT's and my eyes are thankful.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Actually, I'm wondering if my very own crt monitor is dying...
    John, your post is out of place in this thread. We would be happy indeed to help you with your problem, but first please start a separate, new thread in the Graphics sub-forum.

Thanks
  • edited August 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    John, your post is out of place in this thread. We would be happy indeed to help you with your problem, but first please start a separate, new thread in the Graphics sub-forum.

Thanks

Sorry about that,
    I've reposted the question in the forum you specified...
    Thank you,
    John
  • edited August 2006
    Well I have two friends that have gotten LCD in the past 2 years. Both seem to like these newer monitors. I just wonder if the LCDs will become more like the CRTs with refresh rates and such. I do like the LCD monitors looks and the fact of how much less space they take up.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Very unlikely. The beauty of an LCD is that it doesn't have a refresh rate, just a responce time.
  • edited August 2006
    Leonardo wrote:

Thanks

Funny you say that as the reason I checked out this thread is I have a 21 NEC P1250 that for a period of several weeks+ was doing as jofinneg had posted, Screen Image would increase briefly, then return to normal, making a hmm sound briefly as it did it.

Unit would finally not power up... looking for a solution.

Thanks for the link to the correct sub-forum... title caught my eye...