Photo recovery from Camera

edited August 2006 in Internet & Media
Fast is best here. I need a link to a Freeware or a full functioning trial of a program that can take images off a camera after the camera has had the pictures erased BUT not taken over. So, the pictures would, logically, still be intact.

Needs to be able to take off a memory card that's in a kodak easyshare camera. Harddrive was reformated (windows reinstalled) and they may or may not be intact.

ALL help much appreciated, you guys are great. Thanks.

Comments

• Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited July 2006
    You can try PhotoRec. It's from the same people that give us the wonderful TestDisk.

Give that a try :) Free!
  • edited July 2006
    Park_7677 wrote:
    You can try PhotoRec. It's from the same people that give us the wonderful TestDisk.

Give that a try :) Free!

Oy, why did I log out so fast..I don't think I blocked a cookie from here.

I tried the program, couldn't detect my camera on it. I would appreciate a help file if there is one as to how to find a camera. I'm helping a friend and I'm using a 'canon rebel xt' and he's using a 'kodak easyshare'. Both of which display in the 'scanners and cameras' section of 'my computer'. So, they don't get detected by most programs that need a 'c, d, e, f, etc'.

If you need more information, I'll be willing to give.
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited July 2006
    Hrm.

What exact model is/are the camera/cameras? With that much information we could look up a manual online.

A possible option is to change what type of device the camera projects itself as. Most newer cameras have an option inside their menus to change this. Until we see a manual it's kind of hard to help navigate to the option but from the cameras I've seen the option you want is "Mass Storage Device."

I don't currently have a camera that doesn't receive a drive letter to access so it's harder for me to experiment with the access method you're being faced with. Maybe someone else does and they can shed some light on the situation.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2006
    Can't you just get the software from the cameras manufacturer?
    Edit, Ooops, sorry, didn't see the deleted bit.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2006
    PC Inspector is a fantastic free program for recovery of image files from hard drive, camera, camera card, or any other storage media. I highly recommend it.

Dexter...

/Edit: I also have a Kodak Easy Share and can confirm that it will work with Kodak cameras. Files that have been deleted but not written over with new data show up in a folder titled "DELETED." You can recover them from there. You can also search for any files it can find, so even if the card has been quick formatted, you can sometimes still recover images.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited August 2006
    Dexter, you are a champion. :thumbsup:

Only came across this thread this week due to a loss of photos.
    PC Inspector worked a treat. The card in the Pentax camera didn't have a problem parting with them.