One Laptop Per Child debuts in Thailand

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Science & Tech
The One Laptop Per Child project is working to make available millions of inexpensive (around $100) laptops to the world's children in order to decrease the digital divide and increase the quality of education. Now, more than 500 children in Thailand will be getting their hands on the first batch for quality testing and debugging.
Thailand's government is expected to buy 1 million in the first year.

But Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced in a nationwide radio broadcast that "if this project is completed" it would reach all Thai elementary students. He said each student would get a free computer "instead of books, because books will be found and can be read on computers."

The creator of the laptop program, Nicholas Negroponte, has set a goal of making the laptops for about $100 each, though he expects the initial figure to be slightly higher and the long-term cost slightly lower.

The machines will use the free Linux operating system, include flash memory instead of a hard drive and run on electricity created by a hand or foot pump.

We've been following this story for awhile on Short-Media (recent posts: 1, 2), and it's good to see the program move to the distribution phase.

You can find hardware specs and other details on the program at the OLPC Wiki.

Source: CNN

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    You sure arent gonna lose it with it being that color. lol

I think this is good news for a lot of people around the world, but what was he implying by "books can be found"
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2006
    He ment books can be found on computers.

I wonder what Mr. Gates responce will be to this.

"Lets put more chips in hookers!" maybe?

You know, he's retiring from Microsoft...so maybe his little foundation can back these things being built even though they arn't running a MS OS? I don't think he's a cheritable as he comes off.

Anyhow, this will be great! If I had enough $$ I'd buy a mil and give them to kids for free ;)

You know, if every short media member could part with $50....I wonder how many we could buy for a 3rd world country like Bangledesh or Ethopia or something like that?
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I'd buy one for myself, but then I'd probably have it running folding, and I'd have to be turning that hand crank all the time :)
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Did you guys read their manifesto on Open Source? :fear: I don't know whether to hope they succeed with that or not.

-drasnor :fold: