–Windows XP Home w/SP2 $259

UPGRADE versions (all prices Canadian)
–Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade $299
–Windows XP Professional w/SP2 Upgrade $259
–Windows Vista Business Upgrade $249
–Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade $199
–Windows Vista Home Basic Upgrade $129
–Windows XP Home w/SP2 Upgrade $129

We Say: Vista Ultimate is $499 CDN? That’s $449 U.S. I can see I’ll only be getting it with a new PC.
amazonvista_02.jpg

Link to currency exchange rate calculator.

Source: RealTechNews

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    If those are the prices, I think I can hold off on Vista for quite some time.
  • edited August 2006
    RWB wrote:
    If those are the prices, I think I can hold off on Vista for quite some time.

Like forever, I hope. :D
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Why did windows XPs prices get upgraded? I wont be buying this OS. (and MS wonders why their stuff is pirated) if could be to the fact that you have to whip out a handful of c notes to pay for it.

Edit:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/102-0360847-5316953?search-alias=software&keywords=Windows%20Vista
    it looks like Jan 30th is the date.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Prices in USD, courtesy of airbornflght's link:
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    will the ultimate vista upgrade work on windows xp corperate? :bigggrin:
    edited August 2006
    fatcat6 wrote:
    will the ultimate vista upgrade work on windows xp corperate? :bigggrin:

Lets hope so, wait, nevermind. I am not buying it until M$ can pull their heads out and offer it at a reasonable price. I think $250 for the ultimate is fair, and then down from there $400...pfft. Thats only a months paycheck. Who do they think they are selling this too, Bill?
    edited August 2006
    I guess they are leaving it up? Or does amazon not know about this yet. usually, companies tend to find out about this stuff rather quickly.
  • edited August 2006
    Run boys....run.
    edited August 2006
    Daxx wrote:
    Run boys....run.
    See boys run.
  • edited August 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    See boys run.
    See boys run fast.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    How much is OEM and which one do I want?
    edited August 2006
    I dont like having 10 different versions....for god sakes.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited August 2006
    Considering the billions Microsoft has spent on Vista's development, I think it's a bargain.

~FA
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Quick question came to mind, my cousin mentioned that his Windows XP upgrade install disk only asked for his Windows 98 CD Key and installed a full version... is that how this works? If so I'll do the upgrade, but I don't wanna install XP and then install Vista upgrade, I don't see any good coming from that.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    It asks to see the CD. That's it.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited August 2006
    its bloated, slow, can lock up your data forever if you dont know what your doing, has features no normal person wouldnt need, lacks features enthusiests want, put a "security blanket" of encryption and lock down for the warm and fuzzies of people who dont know what a computer is, has a play skool interface.

if they rolled out a patch/SP that changed the NTFS partition limits, or at least allowed GPD disks, XP pro would be perfect in my opinion.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Whatever happened to the '$99 Operating System' (Vista Basic) that they were promising?

The full retail software versions cost a ridiculous amount of money. I really dislike the way the OEM licence works (especially for people like me who upgrade frequently). I was hoping that the full-retail versions of Vista would be priced significantly lower than XP.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2006
    Wow, I guess this is how Bill funds his foundation. That $449 sure will put alot of micro-chips in the arms of hookers worldwide.
  • edited August 2006
    MS is always over charging. We discuss this at work constantly and have not been able to figure out why MS does not offer any kind of family licensing plan. A plan where home users could purchase a license at a discount that would work for 3 to 4 computers. I've got 4 running now - one for me, wife, and one each for twin 14 year old boys. I need a FREAKIN' FAMILY OS PLAN, MICROSOFT!!

Additionally, the price gouging drives, nay, FUELS the black market. I think MS could make even MORE money if they would just be reasonable with pricing to home users, and I'm not talking about selling a whittled down version of their power software at a reduced price. Give us the full power version at fair, home user, or family plan pricing. I've never seen anything like this before! Most corps get a volume discount so they actually pay less than us poor folks trying to put our kids though college with ungodly expensive OS's on their computers. It makes me sick.

Bring on the black market. Down with MICROSOFT!!! Oppressor of the common man!!

Okay, I'm done venting. Now, I gotta save up for Vista. :banghead:
    edited August 2006
    They will sell you additional licenses (see the pic in Post #5) for 90CDN (about $80 US). That ain't cheap, but it is about $50 off the regular price.
  • edited August 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    They will sell you additional licenses (see the pic in Post #5) for 90CDN (about $80 US). That ain't cheap, but it is about $50 off the regular price.
    $159 DVD-Upgrade, $143 for 3 additional licenses for a total of $458 for an UPGRADE - not even full version... NOT my idea of a family pack. Microshaft really knows how to stick it to ya.
    edited August 2006
    Im sure they have worked out the economics of it, being the relation between price per copy, and copies sold. So they could probably care less if me and you buy a copy, because there are others that will, not to mention the OEMs.
  • edited August 2006
    Im sure they have worked out the economics of it, being the relation between price per copy, and copies sold. So they could probably care less if me and you buy a copy, because there are others that will, not to mention the OEMs.
    WHAT?!?! Microsoft doesn't CARE if us little guys don't buy a copy? Say it isn't SO!!! I am such a fool. :rolleyes:
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    peep this....
    1) you could build a rig on dell.com for about 800 or less
    2) that means thatyou pay about 500 bucks for a new comp (if you extract the cost of windows vista)
    3) MS KNOWS that vista will only work with state of the art machines
    4) To save their butts they make the price wayyy too high, so people end up buying newer machines too
    5) Windows vista can run properly due to the new machinery
    6) MS doesn't look like a team of jackbutts cuz their OS is as slow as mollassis
    4)
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited August 2006
    I'm going to linux.
    edited August 2006
    Slackware is looking really nice.

And yes, the new OS will demand better hardware, but is that there fault, when hasnt a new os had higher hardare requirements. That is only natural. Do people expect a new OS to run on old hardware as good as XP did? I hope not.

I've seen XP run on a system that I didnt think it was going to, and it ran well, not fast, but well. It was a Pentium 2 with 64megs of ram. Try that with vista.
    edited August 2006
    A minor increase in RAM requirements is to be expected. Quintupling the at-boot memory footprint is absurd.

Vista is Windows XP Service Pack 3 with a bunch of useless crap and the DRM PLUS! pack.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    A minor increase in RAM requirements is to be expected. Quintupling the at-boot memory footprint is absurd.

Vista is Windows XP Service Pack 3 with a bunch of useless crap and the DRM PLUS! pack.

I am glad the newer version uses half the memory the last version did. 450+\-MB vs 900MB+

I'll be trying to move into Linux, but it ain't gonna happen. Too many programs I depend on require MS and I paid too much for them to switch to a free variant I have no time in learning.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Thrax wrote:

Usually you present your opinion-based arguments with well-rationed logic behind them - but this is below your standards. Vista is quite a bit more than a service pack to XP. It's almost a complete re-write. Dig into it a bit more than a superficial layer, explore the aspects that affect, say, the MCSE skills; the more technical side of things, and you must agree that your assertion is quite an understatement.
    edited September 2006
    Rewrite or not, many of the features that made WinV a unique and new operating system have been stripped from the operating system to meet a deadline rather than developmental excellence or a uniqueness worthy of purchase. The big one, of course, is the lack of WinFS which was set to significantly accelerate file access and management in a quick, open-source language.

Consider its new features:
    -Desktop widgets
    -IE7
    -Aero
    -WMP11
    -Windows Mail, Calendar
    -A centralized control panel
    -Prefetching often-used programs to memory
    -Updated task manager
    -Support for NVFlash drives
    -A replacement for netmeeting

And some trusted computing nonsense, including locking down the kernel from security vendors; while an admirable goal to keep the kernel away from everyone, not letting security vendors have access to it will only leave the black hats the luxury of doing as they please... And they will. More than that, the HDCP requirement of Vista is a slap in the face to anyone buying video cards or monitors today, as is BitLocker, the valiant effort to permit people to encrypt their files.... Only if they buy the $299 or $399 editions.

These are touted as the major features of Windows Vista, as seen on the Microsoft pages regarding their new baby. Look at each of those, and honestly tell me they couldn't be distributed in another 125-175mb service pack. All of their features, as listed there, could be provided via simple software packages, new services or new drivers. Many of the features in Windows Vista can already be done with Windows XP, for less memory than Vista demands.

From widgets, to new mail and conferencing clients to new devices, Aero and WMP11... All of it can be done, right now, on Windows XP.

Is Windows Vista still anything more than Service Pack 3 which took an exceptionally long time to develop at the expense of all its really innovative features? I'm not so sure.