Juice May Lower Alzheimer's Risk

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited September 2006 in Science & Tech
A 76% reduction is quite impressive.
A new study shows people who drank fruit and vegetable juices more than three times a week were 76 percent less likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease than those who drank juices less than once a week.

Researchers say the results suggest that a class of antioxidants found in fruit and vegetable juices called polyphenols may have a protective effect on the brain and help fight dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.

Polyphenols are found in fruits and vegetables, primarily in the skins and peels, and are abundant in juices, teas, and wine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In addition, the study showed the protective benefits of juice appeared to be particularly enhanced in people who had a genetic marker linked to an increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease known as apolipoprotein E a-4 allele.
With a genetic marker in a protein viewed as an indicator of those at a higher risk of this disease, the benefit of a study regarding how proteins Fold and misfold looks even more important.

Why not get on board with Folding At Home and help in the search for a cure?

Oh, be sure to drink your juice, too.

Source: Fox News

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I got a headstart ...I drink at least a can of welches purple grape everyday!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, seriously. If that's true, I don't have to worrry about this at all... I drink fruit juice like a fiend :p
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Why not just eat plenty of fruit?

~Cyrix
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I don't know, I personally find it a bit easier to have a can of V8 juice than to eat like 6 tomatoes, 3 sticks of celery, 2 carrots, a beet, and some salt ;)

;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Why not just eat plenty of fruit?

~Cyrix
    That's a good question. I've never found a satisfactory answer to the question of juice vs. fruit. (Other than the obvious drawback of drinking the stuff with tons of added sugar.)
    Polyphenols are found in fruits and vegetables, primarily in the skins and peels, and are abundant in juices, teas, and wine.
    Seems to me that if you had a juicer and threw in a little bit of the peel or skin it would probably be better than most of the store-bought juice.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    That's a good question. I've never found a satisfactory answer to the question of juice vs. fruit. (Other than the obvious drawback of drinking the stuff with tons of added sugar.)

Seems to me that if you had a juicer and threw in a little bit of the peel or skin it would probably be better than most of the store-bought juice.
    Well in short juice only is somewhat deficient in proper fiber. Fiber is way more important than most ppl give credit. Many nutients come from the whole fruit/veggy deal but a juicer is the next best thing IMO. It's a balance thing.
    Adding celery as an antioxidant would be a smart move too only it kinda ruins the flavor. If you don't believe try it with and without juiced celery and you'll spot the difference instantly. I learned from a Cuban that celery is highly regarded in most third world counrties as a cancer inhibitor.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited September 2006
    I drink like 2 gallons of Juicy Juice a week.

My GF calls it 4 year old juice cause it's what they give kids in the nursery.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Isn't Juicy Juice one of the few "juices" on the market that is actually 100% fruit juice? That sounds a lot healthier than one of those "juices" that's made primarily of water and high-fructose corn syrup, though not quite as healthy as using a juicer...

I think I drink enough tea and red wine that I feel pretty safe... but it would probably be a good idea for me to start drinking more juice as well.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited September 2006
    I dont know about 100% juice, but I know it's 100% good. :tongue2:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    juicy juice is 100% juice. There's also a cheaper brand called "old orchard" which is also 100% juice, and doesn't cost $45,213 a bottle like Juicy Juice does ;)

I am pretty conscientious about the drinks we give our kids. As GH said, most "juices" are actually like 5% juice and 90% corn syrup. It's a bunch of poison.

Old Orchard is cheaper because it's mostly apple juice. So you buy a "blueberry pomegranate" juice and it's like 75% apple, 10% pear, 10% blueberry and 5% pomegranate... so what, it's still real juice instead of high fructose corn syrup. Juicy Juice is expensive because it is 100% what it says on the label - Cherry Juicy Juice is .... just cherries... :D