Best way to overclock Nvidia based vid cards?

edited September 2006 in Hardware
It's been a while since I bought an Nvidia based video card; the last one was a GeForce3 Ti series. But I went with a 7900GTX for my Conroe build due to it's lower power requirements and less noise compared to the X1900XTX. But with today's Nvidia based cards and the Forceware drivers, I know nothing on overclocking software for them.

Does the old coolbits registry enty allow overclocking with today's drivers? If not, then what is a good, easy to use utility to overclock them with?

TIA for all answers. :)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    AFAIK, coolbits still works.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I've been using coolbits.
  • edited September 2006
    Ah, that's good to hear. It's been so long since I've messed with overclocking an Nvidia card that I think the drivers were still called Detonator drivers. :D I didn't know if the new Forceware drivers would require a different approach to overclocking.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    yeah it works but you have to set the most recent drivers to classic mode to set overclocking manually ...otherwise with that new console your only option will be the "automatic" setting.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    COOLbits ftw
  • edited September 2006
    I use Rivatuner.
  • edited September 2006
    Well I dropped the old Coolbits reg entry in and no problems overclocking. BTW Chris, I do have the choice of both manual and automatic overclocking since I installed Coolbits. I looked at Rivatuner but I couldn't figure out how to overclock with it, so I got rid of it. That was before I put Coolbits into the registry.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited September 2006
    Coolbits works well, but Powerstrip is probably the best overclocking program you can use imho. It allowes you to tweak much better then Coolbits, and when Coolbits won't let you pass the tests at certain mhz, Powerstrip will.

Just quite a bit more tweaker friendly in my book.