Asus Discloses Nvidia Physics Card

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited September 2006 in Science & Tech
This is something to look forward to.
asus_p5n32-sli_1.jpg
Nvidia is developing a standalone games physics processing card, motherboard maker Asus has let slip. Announcing a new mobo equipped with three PCI Express x16 slots, the Taiwanese firm said the third connector was specifically for "Nvidia's upcoming Physics card".

The revelation comes days after it emerged ATI will be likewise pitching its graphics chip technology as a co-processor for compute-intensive scientific and engineering applications, not just games physics.
Keep your credit rating in good standing, it might come in handy for your next upgrade.

Source: The Register

Comments

• edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    This is something to look forward to.

Keep your credit rating in good standing, it might come in handy for your next upgrade.

Source: The Register
    Are there any games out there that take full advantage of the physics cards? I think I remember an article in MaximumPC that reviewed the Ageia PhysX card and it was fairly disappointing. I am glad to see that the technology is being pursued though because I think it will rock when game designers fully incorporate it into games. Let's hope it catches on! :)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Personally, I would rather it didn't. We have quad core cpus coming out eventually. No need to buy another expensive add-on card that game devs do a hardware check for and disable the cool physics, when your computer could handle it just fine.
  • edited September 2006
    Seems like most of my games allow you to manually override any of the software checks that adjust your settings automatically. I would imagine that that would apply to a physics processor as well. At least, I hope it would because I don't plan on going out a buying a physics card right away.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    its all about top notch gaming.... I will most likely be sporting a 3 way Graphic system in the future...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    The problem(well not really a problem) I see with these physics chips now are that they add more geometry than the card can handle, thus slowing down a system. It adds additional visual quality, as the sake of performance...
  • edited September 2006
    Do they plan on you using an old video card for physics, or will they release their own stand alone card?

The title suggests the latter, but thats not what I've been hearing.
  • septimusseptimus Toronto, Canada
    edited September 2006
    I couldn't help but notice that it is a socket 775 mobo, undoubtedly for core 2 CPUs. Think an AM2 version will be produced?