Need help deciding between the Hp dv9000t and the Gateway NX860XL...

maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
edited October 2006 in Hardware
hey...i have been having sleepless nights wonder which of the two laptops is better: between the Hp dv9000t and the Gateway NX860XL...advice would be appreciated.
below are the specs of each of the two laptops:

Gateway NX860XL
-Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7400 (2.16 GHz, 667MHz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache) ........[ +US$180.00]
-2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-1024MB modules)
-17" Ultrabright WSXGA+ TFT Active Matrix (1680 x 1050 max. resolution)
-100GB 7200rpm Serial ATA hard drive ........[ +US$60.00]
-Integrated 8x Multi-Format Double Layer DVD Writer (DVD±R/±RW/CD-RW)
-NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS Graphics w/ 256MB DDR Video Memory

Hp dv9000t
-Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7200 (2.0 GHz)
-2.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024MB)
-17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1680x1050)
-100 GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
-Super Multi 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support
-512MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600
-HP IMPRINT Finish + Microphone + Webcam

yeah so those are the two i am looking at...i understand that the HP's 512MB is really 256MB plus another 256MB from the system RAM (from another thread)...the Gateway has a faster processor and a better graphics card...and they are both relatively the same price. However i have been a fan of HP comps and not sure about the reliabilty of Gateway, so some advice there would be helpful...
also any other reccomendations of other laptops would be nice....i am looking for a fast laptop that can handle the latest games...i am not a hardcore gamer...but i like games...and in future if a game comes out that i may like...i want to make sure my laptop can handle it...advice always appreciated

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    My answer is not based on research and may not take all factors into account. If I were looking for a new laptop and were comparing HP and Gateway, and found the options and performance between the two as being equal, I would pick HP without hesitation over Gateway. In my experience, Gateway cuts makes more compromises in quality in than HP in order to keep prices down.

Don't just go with my opinion though, as I'm just offering anecdotal information.
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited September 2006
    okay...i mean yeah i would probably go for the HP, it's just that the GAteway's better graphic card and faster processor is making me lean toward the Gateway...also i want a laptop that can handle future games....and i think the Gateways better graphics card and faster processor (2.16GHz) would help...but then maybe the HP's processor (2Ghz) and it's 7600 graphic card will do fine for the games yet to come???
    edited September 2006
    It may very well be that the Gateway you've selected will perform better and will be better suited for games. My experience with Gateway has been limited, but here it is:

Gateway 600YG2 laptop: it's on its third motherboard, the screen has very poor colors, the CD writer broke, the CPU heatsink is the cheapest junk imaginable, the laptop's fans scream with any load higher than about 25%, and the battery failed at about 18 months old (and I had hardly ever used the machine on battery power).

This is just MY experience. Don't base your purchase decision on one person's experience. I just know that my experience with Gateway has been such that I wouldn't get close to another. Fortunately, the laptop I'm referring to is company property; I didn't have to pay for it!
    edited September 2006
    yeah...i have also heard from others that gateway is a little funky...maybe and hopefully HP will start making laptops that support the NVidia 7900 soon...anyway last i was on their website i noticed they were acquiring voodoo pcs which is a gaming computer company, maybe they will start incorporating faster graphic cards and processors...plus HP was never really oriented toward gaming, was it???
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    it might be awhile, as the 7900GS is a add in card for laptops, the 7600 is mounted on the mobo in HP's laptop. I persoanlly would go with HP, as I have had more Gateway comps in my shop over HP comps. but it is your call....
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    i have had terrible experiences with gateway laptops...my mkom returned her mobo like 4 times within 4 years...
    edited September 2006
    Concerning Gateway quality, it would appear I'm not original.
    HP was never really oriented toward gaming, was it???
    I'm unaware of ANY large, mass production brand that is gaming oriented. For the most part, the big names compete in price, packing in the cheapest parts they can into poor breathing cases. But then, that's what they have to do to stay in business. Within that mediocrity, Dell probably stands out as well as HP. They have a higher level of mediocrity. I know that Dell business computers, the Optiplex series, although having crap performance, are rock solid reliable.
    edited October 2006
    okay thanks...i think that the HP is prbably a better choice...it seems like the reliability of Gateway isn't that great and i think that the HP will probably last longer....i think the HP is the way to go...thanks again.