Challenging DNS Problem

edited October 2006 in Science & Tech
To start things off, my friend gave me a laptop to fix and told me the internet wasn't working... The laptop does not have wireless connectivity, and the cable I'm using is from my pc(working well). And I have also ran kaspersky, and adaware on it for virus checks.

Well after many attempts at it, i found out that it was a DNS problem. Here's what's happening, fist off, the laptop is not receiving a ip from my linksys router. So i had to statically assign an ip within range for it. It would always give me a 169.***** address. When I static ip it, I can log into my router by the "192.168.1.1" adress, but not to web sites. So i get on my PC and ping google.com, and get the ip for that web site. When putting the IP in, I could get on to web sites, but not by domain name. I went to services.msc and restarted my dhcp server and my dns client. I also did this: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt in cmd.

I ran out of options, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Try a repair install of Windows XP first off.
  • edited October 2006
    I found out how to work around this problem.. But by doing so, I will ruin the whole point of having a laptop...

To work around it, I assigned the the dns ip of comcast servers, and it would work fine. And also have to statically assign my router ip for the computer. But, by doing that, I ruin the reason to have a laptop, which is movability. I'm thinking if there is a way to solve this problem. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Yes... I have a suggestion. Start with a repair install of Windows XP..... :range:
  • edited October 2006
    Is there anything else I could do to avoid that? By doing that, I would also be working around the problem, and not know what it really is.

Although it might fix it, the problem might just come back. And I would be having to repair windows again.

Also, I can't get a XP Home CD, at the moment... It's a friends computer and he's away.. Surprisingly XP Home is harder to find than Pro.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited October 2006
    you can try reinstalling the TCP/IP stack, but at that point you might as well reinstall windows, lol
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited October 2006
    Does your router have the DNS relay option? If it does, set the router's internal LAN ip as you DNS server. If it does not, set the external DNS server IP as your DNS addresses. Additionally,ensure that the DHCP function is enabled on the router.

Have you recently installed new drivers for the NIC? As you have figured, if windows keeps assigning the 169.X.X.X address, it means no DHCP response. Assuming that we have already verified that DHCP is enabled on the router and the router is able to ping external ips, you could try installing the latest driver update for the NIC. If that does not work, ensure that the card is set for autosense for the speed of the network. Still not working, try another NIC. I agree with the repair option, but in this case as a last resort as this look like a network configuration issue.