Need help getting XP to recognise camcorder

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
edited October 2006 in Internet & Media
I have a JVC digital camcorder which connects to my PC via the com port. The software that came with the camera has no troble locating the camera however Windows Movie Maker and XP don't seem to locate the device. Have tried scanning for new devices in device manager, restarting windows with device plugged in and turned on.
The problem is that I would like to use some more up to date programs to make and edit my home vids, however the software that came with the camera just isn't up to date enough to do what I want to do.
Does anyone have any suggestions???

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited October 2006
    Byron172 wrote:
    I have a JVC digital camcorder which connects to my PC via the com port. The software that came with the camera has no troble locating the camera however Windows Movie Maker and XP don't seem to locate the device. Have tried scanning for new devices in device manager, restarting windows with device plugged in and turned on.
    The problem is that I would like to use some more up to date programs to make and edit my home vids, however the software that came with the camera just isn't up to date enough to do what I want to do.
    Does anyone have any suggestions???

What model of JVC camera is it? Some of their older models use a proprietary codec which is not recognized by MovieMaker.

The camera may not show up as a device because no drivers get installed to tell Windows how to treat the device, it may all be packaged in the bundled software. Because you are connecting via comm port, there is not a requirement to actually register something as a device, as the comm port itself is a device, and your software is simply making a communication connection to it. Just like connecting via a modem, the software sends a proprietary handshake signal, and the camera responds with the correct handshake back. Once the software sees that an appropriate device is connected, it knows how to talk to it to control it or capture footage.

Can you capture in the proprietary software and save as an AVI or some other format which MovieMaker can then import?

Dexter...
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for your reply Dexter.
    Unfortunately, the software that came with the camera only saves still images from the camera it does not have the option to capture sections of video in AVI etc.
    I'm thinking perhaps I need an older editing program that will recognise this camcorder, do you think that would work? If so do you know or suggest any older programs worth trying?
    PS the model is a GR-DVL320EA....
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited October 2006
    I think you missed part of my point. I don't think any other software will "recognize" this camera because it is not a Windows-recognizable device. The comm port was simply being used for specialized communication between the proprietary software and the proprietary hardware. Nothing is likely to be able to interface with it on a device level.

Your only real option here is to purchase an analog capture device to manually record audio/video into the PC. Most come with their own edit software as well, such as the Dazzle system.

Dexter...
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for that. I might try contacting JVC and see if they have any proprietry software that works with this camera to do what I am wanting to do. Thanks for your feedback and advice.
    Cheers,
    B
    edited October 2006
    Just a quick update. I found that the camera has a firewire port so went out and bought a firewire card today with cable. Hooked it all up and it works a treat, now the camera is recognised by all software.
    Thanks again for your help and advice.
    Cheers,
    B