Internet Explorer 7 now available for download

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2006 in Science & Tech
You can now download Internet Explorer 7. It is available for Windows XP SP2, Windows XP 64 bit edition, and Windows 2003 server editions.

Source: Microsoft

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I'll throw it on my good for nothing machine, but I'm not going to use it for any of my important stuff. Unless I can keep IE 6 also, because I need 6 for web compatibility testing.

mmm...Guinessssssss:beer::beer:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Wow... I DL'ed the new IE 7 and bam the PC boots into Safe Mode... and well IE no longer works on this PC.

~~Edit~~

Looks like the install played with my Msconfig setup.. once I set it back to boot all programs it seemed to bootup fine. That was kind of wierd?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Mine stalled after installing and restarting... it took 5 minutes at the "customize IE" page.... since then... no problems, so far.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    I think I'll just stick a pin in my eye instead.

Unless someone can tell me why I want this. :range:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    POC software... and microsoft calls this a final release! bah hum bug!
  • edited October 2006
    Let me ask this to you [strike]suckers[/strike] fellows that have downloaded and installed this POC. Have they added a way to get the "classic" interface back? I looked at RC1 and got rid of it after 30 minutes because they changed the damn interface up from every other popular browser in existance. I hated the "new" look so much it went bye-bye real fast and reverted back to the old POC, IE6, which is only used for my monthly visits to the M$ update page.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I was quite surprised to see Google as the default search engine.... :wtf:
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited October 2006
    I was quite surprised to see Google as the default search engine.... :wtf:

Whats wrong with google...? its better than MSN searh engine...

IMHO,
    "g"
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I was surprised not because I prefer MSN over google - I was surprised because IE is Microsoft's browser, and I just figured they would put MSN as the default search instead of one of their biggest competitors
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I was surprised not because I prefer MSN over google - I was surprised because IE is Microsoft's browser, and I just figured they would put MSN as the default search instead of one of their biggest competitors

And get sued?
  • edited October 2006
    Did the old IE6 that was upgraded have Google set as the search engine? If so, maybe the upgrade left the search engine choices alone.

And none of you bums have answered my question either. How about posting a pic of this new edition of IE's control interface up if you don't know what I'm talking about. Does this have the navigation controls on top like IE6 and the rest of the browsers out there?

Please.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    :rant: whaddya mean my windows version isnt genuine!?!?

oh well i didnt wanna really use it anyways....
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Just installed it on two computers:
    Installation was a breeze
    So far no problems on either computer
    Importing bookmarks from Firefox was simple and worked perfectly
    So far, I like the graphical interface
    Yup, tabbed browsing (about time, don't ya think?)
    Prompted me if I wanted to keep the default search from previous - Google
    Default, first screen upon opening gives options to select, such as anti-phishing - nice touch, very convenient
    Quick Tabs feature allows thumbnail view of all open tabs on one screen - nice
    In my opinion, IE7's "Favorites" system is far better than Firefox' "Bookmarks" - always thought the Bookmarks was clunky and a pain to organize

I'll report back with more observations later
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    When I opened IE7 for the first time, surprise, there was no window asking me if I wanted to make IE the default browser. And indeed, Firefox is still the default browser for my system with no action on my part. Hmm, I'm thinking Microsoft wants to make nice with the European anti-trust authorities?
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited October 2006
    Yuck. I installed IE 7 and I absolutely hated the new interface. Less than 30 minutes later I uninstalled it to get IE 6 back. I rarely use IE, but when I do I definitely prefer 6 to 7.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I tried a test version of IE7 a couple months ago, and it worked okay for the most part, but it wouldn't let me edit my website pages in Notepad, which was a huge problem, and there was something else it wouldn't let me do, which I forget now. The tabbed browsing was okay.

But it got deleted and I went back to IE6.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    What do you mean it wouldn't let you edit your webpages? Just right click the file and hit "Open with -> notepad." :hrm:
  • edited October 2006
    Uh i heard the site has been infected with The Zulu worm O_O

i got it off of a Half-Life site im a member of
    http://www.hlfallout.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=57656

*Half-life Fallout 4 LIFE! :P

*edit sounds like its only with Avast so im not 100% sure about it anyways discuss and stuff :confused:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    FatFunkey wrote:
    Uh i heard the site has been infected with The Zulu worm...
    If it's coming from the official MS site then I'd bet that it's a false positive. I did find plenty of info to back up what you say in general.

Thanks, FF - that made for a nice news item. :)
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited October 2006
    I'm using IE7 and it seems to work fine for me.

It's just another browser with a new look... I think its ok... JMHO though :|

"g"
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I'm gonna hang back and keep my main rig with IE6 until some of the bugs are worked out, at many web developer sites I am seeing tons of complaints about CSS and layout issues in IE7 vs IE6 and FF of course.