Electric

edited November 2006 in Folding@Home
Well, it looks like my folding has reared it's ugly head in the form of my power bill. I compared last years KWH usage to this years and there was a significant increase in power usage starting at the moment I began cranking up computers to get into the folding race. Compound that with the cost per KWH rate hike this year and my power bill was...um...large. :(

I measured my power usage (borrowed a friends KWH meter) and, combined, my computers were using 780W constant power which comes out to about 560KWH's extra per month on my bill or about $85 extra per bill NOT COUNTING the cost to run my air conditioner to overcome the excess heat generated and pumped into my house, so the actual KWH usage and cost was even higher. In reality, I saw about a $170 increase in my power bill over the same month a year ago with temperatures approximately the same.

So, I have turned it down...a lot. My two main computers are set to hibernate now to conserve power, so I doubt they will be crunching too many protiens. Two other computers have been parted out, and the remaining two are homebuilt firewall routers on low end equipment (aka low power consumption) so they fold sloooowwww.

So what now? Well, it's going to be a while before I reach that 100,000 Hall of Fame mark (and I was soooo close). Additionally, I'm going to see if I can take a tax write off on the portion of my power bill and computer time that was used for this charitable contribution. Somehow, I doubt the power will be a write off...dang government - BUT IT WAS CHARITABLE POWER!!!

DOOM!!! DOOM TO YOU I SAY!!!

I need to switch from this hideous Earth power to my superior Irken free energy machines! If only I had remembered to bring a stargate. :bigggrin:

Maybe you smelly huuuumans will figure it out for me...
http://www.steorn.net/frontpage/default.aspx

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Yeah.... my neighbor and I have the same appliances and same habits other than folding. His bill was $90 for the month and mine, $180. I, however, run 11 PC's.... sorta kills the electric meter...

I choke it down but I can understand you point. You've done well and any work you DO turn in still helps. Thanks for not dropping it totally. :thumbsup:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    it's electric? Boogie-woogie woogie!
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Gotcha covered. Here's $50-75/month. :D

http://geeklimit.com/2006/05/06/geek-money-7-day-programmable-thermostat/

http://geeklimit.com/2006/04/29/geek-money-switching-over-to-compact-fluorescents/

I'll be doing another article soon, should be good for $20-40/month. :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I need to switch from this hideous Earth power to my superior Irken free energy machines!
    But of course! And don't forget the The Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator, which is true energy bang for the buck.

Sorry to hear about the big power bill. No shame in having to trim back on power usage. That's just the way it goes. The suggestion to install flourescent bulbs was excellent. The startup costs can be a bit unnerving, but the savings come the first time you flip on the light switch. I have very few incandescent bulbs in and outside of my home. I even have flourescents in the night stand reading lamps. It makes a very big difference in the power bill. Don't buy them singly at department or general stores - you'll pay dearly. Buy them in bulk packs at Lowes or Home Depot.
  • edited November 2006

http://geeklimit.com/2006/04/29/geek-money-switching-over-to-compact-fluorescents/

Great information, TT! You continue to amaze me!
    Leonardo wrote:
    But of course! And don't forget the The Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator. That's true inexpensive, bank for the buck.

Sorry to hear about the big power bill. No shame in having to trim back on power usage. That's just the way it goes. The suggestion to install flourescent bulbs was excellent. The startup costs can be a bit unnerving, but the savings come the first time you flip on the light switch. I have very few incandescent bulbs in and outside of my home. I even have flourescents in the night stand reading lamps. It makes a very big difference in the power bill. Don't buy them singly at department or general stores - you'll pay dearly. Buy them in bulk packs at Lowes or Home Depot.
    LOL! Space Modulator...

I'm in on the compact flourescents - sounds like a great investment!
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2006

I should get one of those thermostats, esp since I work 12 hour shifts. No need for the apt to be full heat/cool while I am away.

Any suggestions?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I loved that Kw/H math... really useful. I am curious how to figure out how much energy a computer uses...
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited November 2006
    RWB wrote:
    I loved that Kw/H math... really useful. I am curious how to figure out how much energy a computer uses...
    Try here.

Datsun 1600
    edited November 2006
    mmonnin wrote:
    I should get one of those thermostats, esp since I work 12 hour shifts. No need for the apt to be full heat/cool while I am away.

Any suggestions?

Just be sure to get one that is a 7-day so you can customize the weekends too. Look for one that also has a 'Special Day Override' too, so you can hit one button and get a different program, in case you have to stay hme sick or something.

Other than that, I'd say to look for one that has 2 batteries...just so you don't have to replace them...
    edited November 2006
    RWB wrote:

This will tell you how much energy anything uses... Keep in mind that the amount of energy a PSU uses is relative to what the machine is doing, and how efficient the PSU is. The less energy the PSU turns into heat, the more efficient it is...assuming you're not using the PSU for a space heater... :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    ...assuming you're not using the PSU for a space heater...
    With eight computers running in a 2BR apartment, my (gas) heat runs only occasionally. It comes on for about five minutes 2-3 times in the evening, and only then when the temperature outside is around freezing or below.

Summertime is a different story, though... :-/
    edited November 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    With eight computers running in a 2BR apartment, my (gas) heat runs only occasionally. It comes on for about five minutes 2-3 times in the evening, and only then when the temperature outside is around freezing or below.

Summertime is a different story, though... :-/

yeesh!

Ever looked at the efficiency of the PSU's? There's a bunch on newegg at or above 85% efficiency... Maybe those 8 PSU's could concentrate on the WU's without making so much heat in the process... :thumbsup:
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited November 2006
    Daxx,

Do you have your monitors set to power off? This could save a chunk of elect. on its own. Can the machines be moved to a different location? ie garage, spare room? That would save on cooling bills. At one time I had half a dozen rigs in a spare closet with an exhaust fan venting into the attic just to remove the excess heat in the house.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I know most of my PC's are running the crappy $40 PSU's that are about 60% efficient... I've been slowly converting them to higher efficiency ones.
    edited November 2006
    Daxx wrote:
    I'm in on the compact flourescents - sounds like a great investment!

Yep, worked out great for me. Definitely hit up Home Depot, and I would absolutely discourage getting them from Wal-mart. I replaced every bulb in my place with CF, half from HD and half from WM. The HD's have had 1 failure (tonight), and they Wal-mart brand had had about a 50% failure rate, in the first 6 weeks or so!!
  • edited November 2006
    Yep, worked out great for me. Definitely hit up Home Depot, and I would absolutely discourage getting them from Wal-mart. I replaced every bulb in my place with CF, half from HD and half from WM. The HD's have had 1 failure (tonight), and they Wal-mart brand had had about a 50% failure rate, in the first 6 weeks or so!!
    I know what you mean because I bought some CF's a few months ago from Wal-fart to put in my bathroom vanities. Those vanities use 7 lights and I've got two of them (one in each bathroom) so I figured I better get 14 cost effective lights. I think I have two left that still work - a BIG disappointment and the main reason I have not converted my whole house. They also turned on really slow and took a long time to reach full light output.

A friend of mine at work told me to get the Sylvania CF's in contractor packs from Lowes. He said they come on really fast, last a long time, and are (in his opinion) better than Home Depot's various brands.

And for Prof, the obligatory Zim retort:
    Filthy, stinky huuuuman! Your light technology is pathetic. I could destroy your puny Earth planet with just ONE Irken light emitter! Kneel...kneel I say!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    Daxx wrote:
    ...And for Prof, the obligatory Zim retort:
    Filthy, stinky huuuuman! Your light technology is pathetic. I could destroy your puny Earth planet with just ONE Irken light emitter! Kneel...kneel I say!
    Bring it, Jethro. :ninja:

(LMAO ;D )