College!

entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
edited November 2006 in The Pub
So I just wanted to stop back by here, since I really haven't been around much lately. First of all, HOW IS EVERYONE?

Second, I just found out tonight that I got accepted to University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. Such a relief. I (stupidly) hadn't applied anywhere else, and was rather counting on this happening. I've got plenty high enough grades/scores on ACT/AP tests, but still, I was worried.

As of now, I think I want to do something with physics/astronomy. They have a mineshaft where they study neutrinos (I think... it's been awhile) fired from a particle accelerator underground in Illinois. That kind of stuff (quantum-like) interests me, as well as space/gravity itself. So I'm not sure. But either way I'm in! Does anybody from here go there?

Comments

• JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited November 2006
    The mine you are referring to is the Soudan mine and it is ~1.5 hours away if i remember correctly. If you have a chance as a freshman go up there and check it out! It is like an underground secret headquarters for James Bond's arch enemy.

I was at UMN for the summer of 2004 participating in a NSF research project and I loved the school and city. Minneapolis is awesome in the summer, but I have to say I am glad I got out of there in August, as it was already getting chilly! Enjoy being a Golden Gopher!
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited November 2006
    Yep, that's the one. I plan on hopefully working/researching there as an undergrad, which is one thing I really like about that school - you don't have to be a graduate to participate in the research opportunities.

The weather isn't going to be too bad. Living in Wisconsin my whole life, I've got a fair grip on the cold. It'll be worse than here, especially since we're so close to the Lake, but still. Everything (on campus, and throughout the city basically) is connected via tunnel :)