We Need Host Candidates!

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited November 2006 in Folding@Home
This is not a signup thread! :wave:

What it is, is an attempt to gauge interest among the team for releasing our next SMx Project rig and to groom potential Hosts for the future.

If you think that you would like to be the proud Host of one of Team 93's computers, please respond in this thread and give us an idea as to how eager you are to see this project get rolling again. It doesn't matter how many computers we can build if we can't find good homes for them.

Check out the Hosting Requirements on the page I linked to above, then let us know if you're game to join our happy band of Folding warriors.

Special Note: If you are below the age of eighteen and feel that you will be in a position to apply once you reach that age, go ahead and let us know now. The team would like to support you in your effort and the sooner we get you prepped for the serious responsibility of Hosting one of the teams computers the better prepared you will be once you qualify.

If you have parts you can donate, please send me a PM so we can work out the arrangements. Motherboards and CPUs are in particularly short supply.

Bottom Line: We have rigs ready to go; we need good people to Host them. :thumbsup::fold:

Comments

• edited November 2006
    im not quite 18 but in less than a year i hope to have my own place and will proudly host a rig.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I read the SMx project article, and it sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with having to answer to someone else about what I'm doing with their computer.

I own all the computers I have here, so that takes the burden off.

Now, if the SMx selection committee were to consider SELLING me a folding computer at a very reasonable cost, one that could fold under my Tim225 name on Team #93, I might be interested in that.:thumbsup:

And if that folding computer uses SDRAM, I can provide my own memory sticks, I have several sitting around. Consider the SDRAM sticks you don't have to send me as a donation to the project.:leet:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    Tim wrote:
    ...I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with having to answer to someone else about what I'm doing with their computer...
    That's a fair point, Tim. We do intend to track the rigs much more closely from here on out. On the other hand, with your track record of consistent production I doubt you'd ever hear about it except in the Notable Milestones Forum. :D

Just so everyone knows, we absolutely do not plan to merely gripe at people when problems arise. These computers are cobbled together from a hodgepodge of older, used parts and we understand that they are going to have problems from time to time. What we anticipate doing when we spot a struggling rig is to privately go to the Host and ask "How can we help?". :)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I've lived with two SMx rigs, one of which I host, and the team has always been awesome when it comes to support. If a host can provide a 24/7 stable home for a rig and agrees to use it for Folding only, you'll have the best team in the world behind you. Who wouldn't want that? All they ask in return is that you watch over the computer and take the time to fix it if trouble arises.

Come on guys and gals! It sounds like there are gonna be some good rigs needing good homes.
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    damn i should have applied for a candidate before building another system with my money to use just for folding. oh well. at least i'll take good care of this computer :)
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited November 2006
    I always have room for another rig...
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I'll host. I've only been folding for 93 since Icrontic introduced the idea...

On top of that Prime knows I'm awesome, and I think he is a good reference. Just know one thing, I live in a studio apartment. If you give me a loud machine, I am going to mod the cooling until it SHETIFUS!

kthx, let me host I have memory, case, and power supply ready!

I'll even open up remote access to whoever is in charge of SMX.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I'll even open up remote access to whoever is in charge of SMX.

That would be them!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I'll host, come march when I turn 18. I could either take it with me to college, or let it sit at my house and put away and check it every weekend or so when I come home.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Smoz box. I like the way that sounds.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    May we have a Aussie Team 93 member volunteer to head the SMx/SMOz project?

Who is the first nominee?

Give me a name and I'll happily split this thread off into a new one:

The Australian SMOz Project, or SMx, Australian Style :thumbsup:
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    This is a signup thread! :wave:

What it is, is an attempt to gauge interest among the team for releasing our next SMx Project rig and to groom potential Hosts for the future.

If you think that you would like to be the proud Host of one of Team 93's computers, please respond in this thread and give us an idea as to how eager you are to see this project get rolling again. It doesn't matter how many computers we can build if we can't find good homes for them.

Check out the Hosting Requirements on the page I linked to above, then let us know if you're game to join our happy band of Folding warriors.

Special Note: If you are below the age of eighteen and feel that you will be in a position to apply once you reach that age, go ahead and let us know now. The team would like to support you in your effort and the sooner we get you prepped for the serious responsibility of Hosting one of the teams computers the better prepared you will be once you qualify.

If you have parts you can donate, please send me a PM so we can work out the arrangements. Motherboards and CPUs are in particularly short supply.

Bottom Line: We have rigs ready to go; we need good people to Host them. :thumbsup::fold:

I'm in. I think its about time SM21 had a younger sibling.:fold:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    NEW DEVELOPMENT!

Please cheer on our Australian Team 93 members as they turn a
    new page in our Folding@Home Team 93 History.