Someone Please Tell Me This is a Joke

KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired)By the thing near the stuff
edited November 2006 in The Pub
This can't be serious. Please tell me this is from The Onion, or SNL Weekend Update, or a horrible dream I had.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/11/11/nz.text.ap/index.html
New Zealand's high school students will be able to use "text-speak" -- the mobile phone text message language beloved of teenagers -- in national exams this year, officials said.

Comments

• MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited November 2006
    omg srsly?

what a horrible idea.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    I don't know about the state of the education system in New Zealand, but if this were in the US I would expect it to be true. For the most part, teachers really aren't too troubled by the fact that they are abetting a generation of illiterates.

On the bright side, it does make it easier to spot an intelligent person who has worked at their education, since they sure do stand out in the crowd.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan
    edited November 2006
    omgzorz gys, is not tht big 'f a dl.
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited November 2006
    That made it on the News here last night, they reckon it is part of the english language so it can be used. If I was marking the paper, an instant 'F', I wouldn't even try to understand what they were trying to say.

Illiteracy at it's finest, go New Zealand.

Datsun 1600
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited November 2006
    I would fail them immediately. Education is supposed to prepare people for an increasingly-global community, which is <i>not</i> conducted via SMS.

On the other hand, all my managers TYPE LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!! when they are attempting to drive the point home. I want to shoot them through the internet, sometimes.
    edited November 2006
    But...but...what about their self-esteem? :(

(Which might survive High School intact, but would take a severe hit when they got their first job - working the drive-thru window at McDonalds, no doubt - and their boss told them to cut out the silly crap.) :vimp:
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited November 2006
    That made it on the News here last night, they reckon it is part of the english language so it can be used. If I was marking the paper, an instant 'F', I wouldn't even try to understand what they were trying to say.

Illiteracy at it's finest, go New Zealand.

Datsun 1600

I could not believe it either, i mean they have to be joking right!

Datsun 1600 echo's my sentiments exactly!

Later

PS: Sometimes i wonder if they would be better off with the sheep running the place! I mean they are the majority of the constituants.....
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited November 2006
    I definitely agree with many here, instant F.
  • edited November 2006
    That is just plain ridiculous. Like others here, I would also throw and instant F on the test myself. I would not condone letting the children I would teach to grow up totally illiterate either. It's bad enough trying to figure out some of these things in forums, much less on a formal education test.
  • edited November 2006
    I'd give them an 'F' too :rarr:
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited November 2006
    I'd give them an 'F' too :rarr:

Good to see you active again, Binx. :)
  • edited November 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Good to see you active again, Binx. :)
    I pop in and out :rarr:
    edited November 2006
    Pop on this! :rant:

(Private joke) ;)
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA
    edited November 2006
    Reminds me of this. A classic that reminds me of my days of writing crummy essays in wide-ruled composition books.

-drasnor :fold: